News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mark Williams rearend?

Started by suntech, August 09, 2007, 10:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suntech

Any of you guys familiar with the Mark Williams modular rearend? First plan was to put a Dana 60 under my 68 Pro Touring project, but they have one downside, and that is the weight!!
With a pro touring set up, roadhandling will be better with a lighter rearend, but the 8 3/4 will not hold up against the power in a hemi, so i will look for something more radical! ant thoughts about what to choose??
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

firefighter3931

What's wrong with an 83/4....it's plenty strong for a pro touring application. They start to break with big power and big traction at the track. I would have no problem putting 800hp in front of an 83/4 with street tires.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

is_it_EVER_done?

suntech: I'm not at all familiar with the rear end you are asking about, but the aftermarket Dana 60's are within 10 pounds or so of an 8-3/4. Some are actually lighter.

My Strange D-60 is supposed to be only 10 or 12 pounds heavier than the stock 8-3/4 though I never weighed it, but you probably don't need to upgrade if you aren't using slicks.

suntech

Is it the S 60 you mean? Found that on the Strange website. That is a Dana 60 housing they have made themselves. Looks great, and it was what i was thinking of doing, just order a complete assembly from them, with 35 spline axles, and true track locker. They are also reasenably priced. But people tells me tha i must be nuts, to go through the task to mashine out all linkage arms ( 4 link/ watts link) in 7000 series aluminum, and hook it up to that bil ole heavy lump!!! Does anybody know the weight difference in the different assemblies? i would like it lightest possible ofcause, i mean, we put on alloy wheels to reduse the the weight below the springs, so it does make sence, and the Mark Williams http://www.markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=1254 , looks awesome. Kinda pricy though, compared to Strange!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: suntech on August 09, 2007, 10:33:40 AM
Any of you guys familiar with the Mark Williams modular rearend? First plan was to put a Dana 60 under my 68 Pro Touring project, but they have one downside, and that is the weight!!
With a pro touring set up, roadhandling will be better with a lighter rearend, but the 8 3/4 will not hold up against the power in a hemi, so i will look for something more radical! ant thoughts about what to choose??

my buddy has 1300hp in a dodge truck with a 8.75 rear end...     it hold up quite fine,.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

SeattleCharger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 09, 2007, 10:54:34 AM
What's wrong with an 83/4....it's plenty strong for a pro touring application. They start to break with big power and big traction at the track. I would have no problem putting 800hp in front of an 83/4 with street tires.  :Twocents:

Ron

This is good to know, I have been trying to decide to build the internals a stroker, but was caught up on the extra $ into a dana.  I have a 3.23 sure grip w/ 2500 stall, figured might as well stroke the 440 since I can upgrade things later, 
    but what about the 727, I was going to rebuild this stock before, with maybe 480 hp going through it, but with a stroker, will it handle upper five hundreds if the car doesn't see track?  well, maybe once   :angel:   I know you sort of answered to this before, but now this rearend thing is new info, wonering if trans. maybe doesn't need a big $ uprade from a stock build?  thanks, Nate
oh ya, is it just ridiculous to try and use hp exhaust manifolds with a stroker big block and aluminum heads?  even if the K58 engle has the 112 degree lsa? 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.