News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who here has a 2006+ Charger?

Started by moparknighthawk, August 10, 2007, 12:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

Sorry, added some to the reply after you quoted it.

Great example... all 2 doors sportiers/muscle with the extra trim, but the plattform and body is the same and still without the extra trim is muscle and mean look ( even I don't like them, just 70 Coronet )

I never would get a 70 sedan dart but LIKES A LOT A 70 SWINGER AND IS FACT is one of my dreams cars.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Brock Samson

i looked in the paper today and there are two '06 charger sxts at $14,K there's also a '00 M at $6 K... also a '06 Viper @ $70K..

just for reference..

in a couple years i wonder what a SRT/8 will be?..    :slap:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 13, 2007, 05:49:40 PM

they'll probably be a decent value - sort of like the 94-96 Impala SS cars. You still can't buy one in good shape for less than $10k...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

70charger_boy

Nacho-RT74

No, My Name is Nacho LOL... well thats my short name. My name is Ignacio. Nacho is a Ignacio Like Bill is a William or Bob to Robert.

Why ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

mikesbbody

two totally different cars which cant really be compared to each other. I dont own a new charger, but im with you ponch i think they are great!

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 13, 2007, 06:05:02 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on August 13, 2007, 05:49:40 PM

they'll probably be a decent value - sort of like the 94-96 Impala SS cars. You still can't buy one in good shape for less than $10k...

Why would I want one?
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Brock Samson

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: mikesbbody on August 13, 2007, 10:06:26 PM
two totally different cars which cant really be compared to each other. I dont own a new charger, but im with you ponch i think they are great!

we all think that, I think, but still is not a... I won't tell anymore what already has been told. You already told TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT CARS, so must be TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT NAMES

hey brock... nice Video... is that a Civic ? Lancer ? Supra ? LOL. hey is two doors ? hehehe.

Telvis

I have to admit that i didn't care fro the new Charger when it first came out. I have grown to like it though. Compared to the other crap on the market today I think it's a pretty decent car. I am sure there were a lot of folks who hated the first, second and third generation cars in their day. If not, there would be tons of them out there and they would not be as rare as they are today. I would but one if it filled my need. Someday our children will probably be collecting these cars and going to shows to show them off. There will probably be a booming after market for restoration parts. I would rather my son collect a 2006 Charger thirty years from now that have him collect a Scion!

bull

Quote from: Telvis on August 13, 2007, 11:17:34 PM
I have to admit that i didn't care fro the new Charger when it first came out. I have grown to like it though. Compared to the other crap on the market today I think it's a pretty decent car. I am sure there were a lot of folks who hated the first, second and third generation cars in their day. If not, there would be tons of them out there and they would not be as rare as they are today. I would but one if it filled my need. Someday our children will probably be collecting these cars and going to shows to show them off. There will probably be a booming after market for restoration parts. I would rather my son collect a 2006 Charger thirty years from now that have him collect a Scion!

Actually I don't think there were hardly any people who hated the 2nd generation Charger if you consider that production had to be increased for the '68 model year by 500% to meet the demand.

**Mr. Sensitivity Warning** **Non PC 2006 Charger verbiage to follow**

Here's it in a nutshell for me. I'm not so in need of Ma Mopar's love and attention that I'll jump on the first RWD Hemi sh*^box four door that came down the line assembly line since 1971 wearing the Charger nameplate and sporting spark plugs in the valve covers. They left me I didn't leave them. The Krauts slapped us all in the face and in response many of us just said "thank you may I have another." It's a joke. They've turned the Charger into a body kit/decaled/go wing/top banana/go mango laughing stock and we're all supposed to lap it up and thank them for giving us mediocrity because it's RWD and (in some cases) goes fast. Sorry, I don't play that game. A hot engine and Charger nameplate in a goofy-looking four door is two out of three at best toward paying any homage to what was. I don't know about you but when I got a 66% in high school it wasn't an A, it wasn't even a C. Probably 99% of the people who keep promoting this car say nothing about the styling, it's always some BS about how the '06 can smoke your '69 in the 1/4 mile and that has NEVER been my argument against this car. It has always been about styling and paying homage to the cars we love, back when American muscle ruled the road and we really were #1. Hell, at least half the ricers and probably 1/3 of the SUVs and minivans out there today are probably faster than most '69 Chargers. That's never been the point. The point is the Germans did not give one single piece of rat crap about the legacy of the classic Charger when they made what they made and yet they whored the name to evoke an emotional response in a portion of the American public into buying a mislabeled product. What baffles me is that it worked to any degree whatsoever outside of rental cars, taxi cabs and cop fleets and now Daimler has left and its execs are laughing all the way to the bank. Despite all that some people are actually convinced this car is a Charger, just because the Germans said it is a Charger. Does it look like any Charger you've seen before, even a 1984? Do we not have any fortitude in these matters? It seemed as if we all stood together until they made it and then said oh screw it, "I guess since they made it and called it a Charger we have to go along." "Ok, yea, it IS a Charger! I see it now! If you stand on your ear and cover one eye while punching yourself in the throat that one spot around the left taillight kind of looks like the fender of a wrecked '72."

Some of you continually accuse me of stirring the pot but I haven't said jack about this car during the past year or so unless someone asked about it or started touting it like we're all in love with Trevor Creed. If you ask what people think you should probably be prepared for an answer you may not like. I'd say there's been more pot-stirring on the part of the '06 fans around here than anyone. They keep bringing it up and then act all surprised when the thread becomes something other than an '06 lovefest. This is not an LX website is it? Sure we talk about other cars but the '06 is an obvious hot button topic so why is it brought up at all anymore? There are better places to discuss LX cars than here, right? This damn car causes more arguments here than any five political threads. Just lock them and we'll talk about something we can agree on, the '66-'74 CLASSIC Charger. Is that not fair, logical, wise and peaceable?

If you own one of these cars I have nothing against you. I would probably consider buying one myself if it had just about any other nameplate and I needed a grocery-getting family car. Fact is I'd rather have my '03 Durango because it looks better. I simply don't like it because of the way the former DCX decided to market it. It is NOT a Charger (I bet 98% would agree with that) and yet they told us it was. Had they simply let that go and named it something else I'd probably be ok with it. Instead it's become a symbol of German arrogance and corporate greed IMO and I refuse to go along with their screwed up little agenda.

Big Lebowski

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 13, 2007, 12:53:11 PM

Quote from: Big Lebowski on August 12, 2007, 11:08:34 PM
  Nope, don't own one but I drag raced one w/ my '70 440-6 Charger. I smoked an SRT-8 Charger really bad. I guess those extra doors slowed it down a little. :shruggy: I had no choice since the guy driving the 4 door had to egg me on about how he could beat any "old" Charger at the 1/4 mi. The pin-headed loser was embarrassed after I spanked him back to the end of the line, where he belonged. :hah:

Seems like you probably ran into one of those people who just buy the car because they hear its "super fast" but don't really know how to handle it and it's really too much car for them. On the other hand - I assume your 440-6 Charger's engine isn't exactly stock. We all know that more cubes will always win out when you know how to get the most out of them. Yet I know a couple of SRT's that have had both minor (reprogrammed computers) to major (cams, head work, etc) mods  - they'd probably be better opponents.

Ok, you busted me...9.5 to 1 comp. 446 ci. (0.30 over for those of you in Rio Linda), 2600 stall, 4.33's in the Dana & 9" slicks...But believe me, the 440-6 helped, but it was the slicks & the 433's that just pounced on the 4 door. :D
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

68charger383

Whether the name for the car is correct or not, I drove an R/T version and loved the ride. I don't know if I'd buy one, but I'll nod back to a passing 2006+ driver if he nods first.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: bull on August 14, 2007, 12:10:33 AMThis is not an LX website is it? Sure we talk about other cars but the '06 is an obvious hot button topic so why is it brought up at all anymore? There are better places to discuss LX cars than here, right? This damn car causes more arguments here than any five political threads. Just lock them and we'll talk about something we can agree on, the '66-'74 CLASSIC Charger. Is that not fair, logical, wise and peaceable?

well I think this came up "accidentally", but beside that, I think this is one of the more friendly discussions, opinions and arguments post chain about Chagnums, than the earliers ones.

bull

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 14, 2007, 12:29:00 AM
Quote from: bull on August 14, 2007, 12:10:33 AMThis is not an LX website is it? Sure we talk about other cars but the '06 is an obvious hot button topic so why is it brought up at all anymore? There are better places to discuss LX cars than here, right? This damn car causes more arguments here than any five political threads. Just lock them and we'll talk about something we can agree on, the '66-'74 CLASSIC Charger. Is that not fair, logical, wise and peaceable?

well I think this came up "accidentally", but beside that, I think this is one of the more friendly discussions, opinions and arguments post chain about Chagnums, than the earliers ones.

Yea, well my comments are little more spicy than usual thanks to a certain someone who's been sending me PMs. Honesly, I don't want to hear about the 2006 Chagnum Creeder Special anymore.

Telvis

Everyone has an opinion. We all have things we like and don't like. Some like the new Charger and some don't. If you don't like it then fine. Don't buy it. Don't make someone feel bad for buying one. This is a friendly community and everyone is welcome. Be proud of what you like and own. There's no sense in making someone feel bad about what they like. That's not what this place is about. We all like Chargers. Some like first generations, some like second or third, some like later models and some even like the new models. It's the fact that we all come here together to share in what we enjoy that makes this site special. Everyone is welcome no matter what Charger they prefer.  :yesnod:

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on August 14, 2007, 12:10:33 AM
Quote from: Telvis on August 13, 2007, 11:17:34 PM

Actually I don't think there were hardly any people who hated the 2nd generation Charger if you consider that production had to be increased for the '68 model year by 500% to meet the demand.

**Mr. Sensitivity Warning** **Non PC 2006 Charger verbiage to follow**

Here's it in a nutshell for me. I'm not so in need of Ma Mopar's love and attention that I'll jump on the first RWD Hemi sh*^box four door that came down the line assembly line since 1971 wearing the Charger nameplate and sporting spark plugs in the valve covers. They left me I didn't leave them. The Krauts slapped us all in the face and in response many of us just said "thank you may I have another." It's a joke. They've turned the Charger into a body kit/decaled/go wing/top banana/go mango laughing stock and we're all supposed to lap it up and thank them for giving us mediocrity because it's RWD and (in some cases) goes fast. Sorry, I don't play that game. A hot engine and Charger nameplate in a goofy-looking four door is two out of three at best toward paying any homage to what was. I don't know about you but when I got a 66% in high school it wasn't an A, it wasn't even a C. Probably 99% of the people who keep promoting this car say nothing about the styling, it's always some BS about how the '06 can smoke your '69 in the 1/4 mile and that has NEVER been my argument against this car. It has always been about styling and paying homage to the cars we love, back when American muscle ruled the road and we really were #1. Hell, at least half the ricers and probably 1/3 of the SUVs and minivans out there today are probably faster than most '69 Chargers. That's never been the point. The point is the Germans did not give one single piece of rat crap about the legacy of the classic Charger when they made what they made and yet they whored the name to evoke an emotional response in a portion of the American public into buying a mislabeled product. What baffles me is that it worked to any degree whatsoever outside of rental cars, taxi cabs and cop fleets and now Daimler has left and its execs are laughing all the way to the bank. Despite all that some people are actually convinced this car is a Charger, just because the Germans said it is a Charger. Does it look like any Charger you've seen before, even a 1984? Do we not have any fortitude in these matters? It seemed as if we all stood together until they made it and then said oh screw it, "I guess since they made it and called it a Charger we have to go along." "Ok, yea, it IS a Charger! I see it now! If you stand on your ear and cover one eye while punching yourself in the throat that one spot around the left taillight kind of looks like the fender of a wrecked '72."

Some of you continually accuse me of stirring the pot but I haven't said jack about this car during the past year or so unless someone asked about it or started touting it like we're all in love with Trevor Creed. If you ask what people think you should probably be prepared for an answer you may not like. I'd say there's been more pot-stirring on the part of the '06 fans around here than anyone. They keep bringing it up and then act all surprised when the thread becomes something other than an '06 lovefest. This is not an LX website is it? Sure we talk about other cars but the '06 is an obvious hot button topic so why is it brought up at all anymore? There are better places to discuss LX cars than here, right? This damn car causes more arguments here than any five political threads. Just lock them and we'll talk about something we can agree on, the '66-'74 CLASSIC Charger. Is that not fair, logical, wise and peaceable?

If you own one of these cars I have nothing against you. I would probably consider buying one myself if it had just about any other nameplate and I needed a grocery-getting family car. Fact is I'd rather have my '03 Durango because it looks better. I simply don't like it because of the way the former DCX decided to market it. It is NOT a Charger (I bet 98% would agree with that) and yet they told us it was. Had they simply let that go and named it something else I'd probably be ok with it. Instead it's become a symbol of German arrogance and corporate greed IMO and I refuse to go along with their screwed up little agenda.

FWIW, I did NOT buy it because it's called a "Charger". I simply liked the car.

Quote from: Telvis on August 14, 2007, 12:56:17 AM
Everyone has an opinion. We all have things we like and don't like. Some like the new Charger and some don't. If you don't like it then fine. Don't buy it. Don't make someone feel bad for buying one. This is a friendly community and everyone is welcome. Be proud of what you like and own. There's no sense in making someone feel bad about what they like. That's not what this place is about. We all like Chargers. Some like first generations, some like second or third, some like later models and some even like the new models. It's the fact that we all come here together to share in what we enjoy that makes this site special. Everyone is welcome no matter what Charger they prefer.  :yesnod:

:yesnod:
As Ari Gold would say...."let's hug it out bitch!"
:grouphug:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 14, 2007, 01:18:49 AM
FWIW, I did NOT buy it because it's called a "Charger". I simply liked the car.

That's the gist of what I said above. If you like it for what it is that's great, I'm ok with it on that level too. But I just don't buy the "it's what the Charger would have looked like had they kept building it" argument.

Brock Samson

perhaps the actual owner of the new sedan,... can comment on their experiances with the cars and any mods they have made,..
pics would be nice... too...
I haven't been following the threads on the LX forums and i wonder if ponch can give us the jist,..
I understand there's a sizable aftermarket for these cars and that a great thing...
Personally I hate to see owners of the new sedans come on here and get run off by folks who's panties are inna bunch about it..

As I understand it, it was the dealers who decided it should be called "CHARGER" at a Dealers Assoc. meeting about a year or 18 Mos. into the "Merger".

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 14, 2007, 09:48:51 AM

As I understand it, it was the dealers who decided it should be called "CHARGER" at a Dealers Assoc. meeting about a year or 18 Mos. into the "Merger". 

Never heard that bit of info before. Dumb decision nontheless, and DCX still had to approve it...

dodgecharger-fan

Given the chioce of these three cars:

2007 Dodge Charger
2007 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Pontiac Grand Prix

All base models.. what would you pick?

I've driven and rode in all three.

The Charger was the only one that was remotely comfortable. Especially sitting in the back seat.

I actually gave the whole "It's not a real Charger" thing a fwe thoughts.

But all that, and the "Dave's getting a MOPAR!" pressure from colleagues - really: my boss is the biggest nag to get my 69 done... where was I? Oh yeah, all that aside, the Charger simply represented the best choice for me.

And I'm very happy with it.

Just the comfort alone is what amazes me. I can't remember the last time I could drive with my elbows bent at my sides. I always had to have the seat all the way back to accommodate my long legs, that'd I'd have to reach for the steering wheel. I don't know if it's the telescoping column or the leg room or a combination of both, but I drove that thing over 1000 miles the first week I got it and didn't have one ache or pain afterwards. I used to have to get out of my Taurtoise every hour or two and stretch.

Yeah, I've got the 2.7L V6. So, power is not a big topic. Frankly, I don't care. That's not what the car is for.

As for modifications... yeah I might do a few to dress it up a bit. I have to keep it tasteful though. This is a working car.

So, hate all ya want. It's a good car.

I used to have a hate-on for these cars when they first came out - I bought two of the t-shirts that I think Seattle Charger put up on cafepress - but it grew on me.

Would I have preferred it be named something else? Absolutely.

Does the name change what it is? Not in the least bit.

As for paying homage to our classics. Well, that simply wasn't the case here. Nor do I think it was the intent. So, no use getting all up at arms over it.

Do I think DCX made an error calling this a Charger? Yes. Especially after showing the 1999 Concept Charger.

Does that make my Charger ugly? No. I don't think so. It's different. That's for sure. However, the styling is what grew on me once the car was released.
My view of the car changed dramatically once I saw the car in person. I guess that says something about the artists that rendered the drawings pre-release... I dunno.

So, where does all leave me?
I've got a car that I really like and I have every intention of buying it out at the emd of the lease if all continues to go well.
I've got one "mod" installed and two more to go.
I'll get some pics up once they're all done but I've got a third brakelight mask that shows the classic Charger script when the light goes on.
I've got quarter "swoops" with the same Charger script cut into them.
I've got some smoky headlight lens cover/protector.

Oh actually 3 mods - I have a set of 17" SXT rims on the way too. Cheap to buy and a nice upgrade to the steel wheels and hubcaps.

Ponch ®

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on August 14, 2007, 12:37:06 PM
Given the chioce of these three cars:

2007 Dodge Charger
2007 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Pontiac Grand Prix

All base models.. what would you pick?

I've driven and rode in all three.

The Charger was the only one that was remotely comfortable. Especially sitting in the back seat.

I actually gave the whole "It's not a real Charger" thing a fwe thoughts.

But all that, and the "Dave's getting a MOPAR!" pressure from colleagues - really: my boss is the biggest nag to get my 69 done... where was I? Oh yeah, all that aside, the Charger simply represented the best choice for me.

And I'm very happy with it.

Just the comfort alone is what amazes me. I can't remember the last time I could drive with my elbows bent at my sides. I always had to have the seat all the way back to accommodate my long legs, that'd I'd have to reach for the steering wheel. I don't know if it's the telescoping column or the leg room or a combination of both, but I drove that thing over 1000 miles the first week I got it and didn't have one ache or pain afterwards. I used to have to get out of my Taurtoise every hour or two and stretch.

Yeah, I've got the 2.7L V6. So, power is not a big topic. Frankly, I don't care. That's not what the car is for.

As for modifications... yeah I might do a few to dress it up a bit. I have to keep it tasteful though. This is a working car.

So, hate all ya want. It's a good car.

I used to have a hate-on for these cars when they first came out - I bought two of the t-shirts that I think Seattle Charger put up on cafepress - but it grew on me.

Would I have preferred it be named something else? Absolutely.

Does the name change what it is? Not in the least bit.

As for paying homage to our classics. Well, that simply wasn't the case here. Nor do I think it was the intent. So, no use getting all up at arms over it.

Do I think DCX made an error calling this a Charger? Yes. Especially after showing the 1999 Concept Charger.

Does that make my Charger ugly? No. I don't think so. It's different. That's for sure. However, the styling is what grew on me once the car was released.
My view of the car changed dramatically once I saw the car in person. I guess that says something about the artists that rendered the drawings pre-release... I dunno.

So, where does all leave me?
I've got a car that I really like and I have every intention of buying it out at the emd of the lease if all continues to go well.
I've got one "mod" installed and two more to go.
I'll get some pics up once they're all done but I've got a third brakelight mask that shows the classic Charger script when the light goes on.
I've got quarter "swoops" with the same Charger script cut into them.
I've got some smoky headlight lens cover/protector.

Oh actually 3 mods - I have a set of 17" SXT rims on the way too. Cheap to buy and a nice upgrade to the steel wheels and hubcaps.

Man...you should have gone with a set of 18" take offs from an R/T. They're cheap too, and a little better looking than the 17" SXT wheels. Still, glad you like the car...I got a 2.7 too. It's not a bad little engine...lacks a little when accelerating, but once you get it going, it's pretty fast (for what it is). The gas mileage =ownage.

Check out lxforums.com...lots of info, cool ideas for 'mods', and there's a nifty "for sale" section where people sometimes practically give away stuff. A couple of months ago I grabbed a CAI with a K&N filter for $50 shipped. In fact, right now there is a set of the aforementioned 18" R/T wheels and tires for sale for $300.

Brock Samson

well this is interesting...

the three Chrysler jeep and dodge lines have revamped web sites i see today,.. and when they load they all show "yesterday - today -tommar ow" cars in the header, the Chrysler one shows what looks to be an updated 300 or sebring... loosely biased on the last show car they showed last yr.. the Nassau sp?..  :shruggy:

the jeep site displays a future looking jeep, these are just sketches mind you...   :drool5:

and the Dodge site shows, what I'm gonna postulate is the next edition of the charger....    :popcrn:

here's the link.... enjoy...

http://www.dodge.ca/en/

bull

All I saw was an old Power Wagon, a minivan and a sketch of what looks like a two-seater. Are you talking about the third sketch?

Brock Samson

yup  :shruggy: but i don't know maybe it is a two seater,.. looks like a updated charger sedan to me...
it sure ain't a chally..