News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

245/40R18's on Front, Anyone??? (Size Changed!)

Started by bill440rt, August 10, 2007, 09:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

OK, I know there are gazillions of posts on here for wheel/tire sizes, but I didn't see anything with this size after a search.  :shruggy:

Does anyone here run a 255/40R18 tire on the front of a '68-'69 Charger? ('70 fenders are slightly different, so I'm using '68-'69 only as a guide). Are there any rub issues?

I have an SSBC disc brake kit on the front. I'm thinking of an 18 x 8 front wheel with a 4.5 backspace. The 255/40R18 tire I'm looking at (BFG G-Force KDW-2) has a spec of 10.2 section width and a 26" diameter. This is on a 9" wheel, though. An 8" wheel will lower my section width to about 10".
According to BFG, they recommend wheels 8.5"-10" in width for a 255/40R18 tire. I can't get an 8.5" in the wheel I want to use, only an 8". Do you think I'll be OK with an 8" wheel? I'm ordering wheels & tires from Newstalgia Wheel, they feel it should be fine.

I have heard that an SSBC kit will push the wheels out further slightly. If so, would a 4.75" backspace be better? The rear disc brake kit did push the rear wheels out slightly. I tested my 295/50R15's on the rear, 10" wheel with a 5" backspace. They fit my '68 perfect, but on my '69 with the disc brakes they would rub. More backspace will be needed on the rear, I'll probably go with 5.5".

Help with the fronts would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!!!!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

OK, well I was able to find some answers out myself already. I consulted with BFG, they stated the 255/40 is NOT safe to use with an 8.5" wheel, they recommend against it. I trust their judgment.
So, as an alternate I might go with a 245/40R18 on the front instead. This is similar in size to the 235/60R15 that is on the front of my '68.

Does anyone here have a 245/40R18 on the front of their car? Will it look too short or squatty? The 235/60R15 has a diameter of 26.1", the 245/40R18 has a diameter of 25.7". Both tires have about the same section width. They will fit on an 8" wheel, I would go with a 4.5" backspace.

If anyone has pics it would REALLY help.
THANKS!!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce