News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Hemi Charger: Progress, or shall I say the lack there of.

Started by hemi68charger, August 10, 2007, 08:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Man,,
They say everything happens in 3's...... Well, this was my week.....

1. My house is broken into and robbed Wednesday
2. My baby girl had a hard fall on her head a few hours after the burglary discovery, off to the emergency room (CAT scan checked out negative, whew !!)
and
3. The dude that was working on my Charger for the past 5 years told me not to bring the car back to fix the problems with it.

Soooo, now, after 5 years of waiting like the biblical JOB to have my car done, what was supposed to be the best car he's ever done, turned out to be the worst. I know what he can do.. He can do awesome stuff. The outside of the car is great, but it's the underside, engine compartment and lil' things here and there that need addressing. Sucks when you've lived up to your end of the deal, waited patiently (5 years), referred a lot of work to him (that will cease now), helped him a lot over past 5 years on other restorations projects he's getting paid for (did a lot of parts chasing via the internet for him), turning a blind-eye to money he owes me and then I get this.... He's apparently pissed that I "discuss" this stuff on moparts and here.. Well, so what. The truth hurts, and pride is a very delicate thing apparently... I consider all here my friends and a lot of you have been with me on this long journey. This is no different than me talking about the car to one of my local friends.. On top of that, things I have discussed here are no different than that I've spoken to him personally, face to face...... He said I changed the rules right before I left for my second tour in Iraq, that I wanted my car done.. So, he apparently thought he needed to rush the car.....  Bull, he had 5 years.........

So, whoever's reading my previous topics and "reporting" back to him, here's another one...... but, I'll beat you to the punch, I'm emailing him this link directly, straight from the horses mouth....

I'm currently looking at other avenues to finish this car's paint to the level it deserves, it's almost there. I think I have someone I can trust to do it... This will set me back awhile maybe so I can save up the funds, but in the mean time, I'll continue with the suspension and engine......

OK, sorry for the rant, but I don't deserve this........    :flame:  :brickwall:  Nice guys are supposed to finish first.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger-Bodie

i would ask him if hes ever heard of the better bussiness bereau, and get a lawyer that is bull ship when you pay someone to do a job. its not done until the customer says its done.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Old Moparz

Sucks to hear that Troy, & I hope you can resolve the issues with your car soon. A lot of us, including myself, have all been down that same road of body shop hell & could fill a book bigger than a set of encyclopedias with nightmare stories. (Ms. Mopar comes to mind too.)

Good luck.  :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

71bee

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunate incidents. on the other hand, it makes me feel better about the price I paid for a finshed restotation. well, the paint/body/interior were all re-done when I bought it.

good luck with that baby. a '68 HEMI Charger? SWEEEEET!!!!

Fitz73Chrgr

Sorry this happened to you.  Glad to hear your little girl is ok, too!
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

NYCMille

Crap man, sorry to hear about that - it sucks when people have no sense of integrity.

69charger2002

man that's awful troy. definitely not the result you want to hear after 5 YEARS! i cannot imagine. i am sure he got LOTS of references from you.. as your car was in there the couple times i went back in the corner while plenty of other cars were being perfected.  keep us updated
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

nh_mopar_fan

What's worse? The body guy or the guy who has nothing better to do with his time but go running back and report to him?

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69charger2002 on August 10, 2007, 11:25:07 AM
man that's awful troy. definitely not the result you want to hear after 5 YEARS! i cannot imagine. i am sure he got LOTS of references from you.. as your car was in there the couple times i went back in the corner while plenty of other cars were being perfected.  keep us updated
trav

You've been over there? I never knew you came to Houston...........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Brock Samson

i feel bad for you folks who spend big bucks on these restos and have to wait for years and have all these problems and your cars in limbo,..
I'm glad your daughter is o.k. after the fall, but again sorry about the break-in...

Someone else here on the board, also had that happen recently... that's gotta suck!  :flame:

anyhow i hope your situation with the charger is resolved soon to your satisfaction..  :pity:

hemi68charger

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on August 10, 2007, 11:26:16 AM
What's worse? The body guy or the guy who has nothing better to do with his time but go running back and report to him?

That's all fine and dandy.. We all have friends... I have absolutely nothing to hide so much so I emailed him this thread........   He can get the "internet" thing first hand from me.......
Troy

resq302

Troy,

sorry to hear about your misfortune with the car and the house.  Glad to hear your child is ok as I have a little one also that we are always on the watch out for.  Its amazing how squigly they can get to be and how quickly their strength develops.

Sadly to say, nice guys don't finish first anymore.  Usually it is the criminals that get the breaks while the people that are trying to maintain justice are the ones that are getting sued and losing their jobs cause of trying to protect and serve like their job says. :rotz:

If you can afford one, get an attorney after this "friend" of yours to get the car finished to your liking.  I would also report him to the better business bureau so he can not do this to anyone else.  Keep positive as there is light at the end of the tunnel for your car. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

chargerman68

same thing happened to me from the guy i gave 11,000 for my resto on my 68 charger after 2 1/2 yrs had to pull it out and soon after he was arrested for fraud........
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

69_500

Well glad to hear that your daughter is doing fine after her fall.

As far as the progress on the 68 goes, has it really already been 5 years? Man times flies. It was begining to look like that car was close to completion too. Hope you do find someone to finish the car, and that the work comes out as nice as it should as well. Then again I keep telling you that once you get it finished you won't part with it even for a daytona.

hemi-hampton

What has to be finished? Is Motor Installed? Is Interior Installed? Whats wrong with it? LEON.

472 R/T SE

What a pisser Troy.
Regardless of anything else, it's important your little one is OK.  We took ours to the ER a week ago from a golf club to the head.  The feeling of helplessness is unbearable.  In the grand scheme of things nothing else matters much.

How's your painting abilities?  It's a real shame all these paint and body stories going around anymore.

charge69

Hey Troy, so sorry to hear of your troubles and am very glad to hear your daughter is OK!

This story on the restoration can be told by many people as their are too many shops out there that operate like that. You should go ahead and name the shop in the thread!

I have been patiently waiting on an individual to help me do the restoration on mine and we are just about ready to trart. Dan is just about finished restoring a '69 Roadrunner and it is turning out very nice! Gonna be a gorgeous RR and my car is next. He just got the RR off the rotisserie and is putting it back together. Got an engine from Paul to use to save the NOM drivetrain.

I don't know what or how much work you are talking about on your Charger but you might contact Dan about helping you finish the work. If you do not know who I am talking about, it is a guy I work with that has the Yellow '74 Chally.

I do not know what he would charge you but it is just a thought!

Sorry again about your troubles!   Carl

P.S. I have been made an offer that makes me wonder about doing all the work to restore mine! 

69charger2002

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 10, 2007, 11:26:39 AM

yeah troy i went over there twice.. i don't think i had even met you then. had to be 2-3 years ago. once to buy some 70 charger parts from a guy who got his car done there.. name was ken i believe. he had a lot of parts left over there..  Mr. "car restorer" showed me your car back in the corner of the shop.. and that you had a couple other really desirable cars... the other time was to look at a 69 project there in the parking lot. not sure if the guy who owned it got a restore price he wasn't ready for or what, but he had decided to sellit instead of restore it.. i passed on it for like $2000 if that tells you how sick it was.. trust me i don't even think i could find the place on my own but i have been there.. and no i'm not the rat.. lol i don't even KNOW the guy
trav

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 10, 2007, 06:07:47 PM
What has to be finished? Is Motor Installed? Is Interior Installed? Whats wrong with it? LEON.

For me, the paint and body are the only farmed out things for the most part... I'm going to install the motor and all later on.... But, I wanted a clean straight car prior to installing everything.... There is some sheet metal that should be readdressed because it wasn't done properly.. The whole underside needed to be reshot along with the engine compartment because it was rough as sandpaper.. It wasn't sanded/prep before paint and clear applied underneath....

Mike, My painting skills suck.. lol  This was why I made a deal with him... Looks like I'll be taking it over to a local restoration company.. He'll help me and I think I'll be able to "work" some of the expensive off by helping him with his '69 Charger R/T project. I do know, if I take it to Tim, it'll get done... This was probably a blessing in disguise...

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement.. It means alot.. One of the reason's he's ticked is my progress communication with all my buddies here... Too bad. The truth is the truth....
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69charger2002 on August 10, 2007, 08:52:29 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on August 10, 2007, 11:26:39 AM

yeah troy i went over there twice.. i don't think i had even met you then. had to be 2-3 years ago. once to buy some 70 charger parts from a guy who got his car done there.. name was ken i believe. he had a lot of parts left over there..  Mr. "car restorer" showed me your car back in the corner of the shop.. and that you had a couple other really desirable cars... the other time was to look at a 69 project there in the parking lot. not sure if the guy who owned it got a restore price he wasn't ready for or what, but he had decided to sellit instead of restore it.. i passed on it for like $2000 if that tells you how sick it was.. trust me i don't even think i could find the place on my own but i have been there.. and no i'm not the rat.. lol i don't even KNOW the guy
trav

Man, it's a small world.. The '70 Charger parts you bought, was it from a red Charger? Ken's a friend of mine.. The '69 project, was it the primered car or the T5 Copper Charger R/T.... I pretty much know all the Chargers he came across......
Troy

TruckDriver

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on August 10, 2007, 06:39:36 PM
What a pisser Troy.
Regardless of anything else, it's important your little one is OK.
:iagree: That is the most important thing.

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on August 10, 2007, 06:39:36 PM
We took ours to the ER a week ago from a golf club to the head.

I got one in the face when I was about 12 or so. I got it right below my right eye. I was very lucky I didn't lose it. I don't remember much either about it other than it happened and what I was told happened.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69charger2002

yes ken's parts were red. the nice car he had was sweet. he took me for a ride in it. 70 i believe.. the car i looked at was in primer, it was not that copper color car
trav

8WHEELER

Hey Troy
I am very happy your daughter is going to be fine  :2thumbs:  very important for sure.

I am sorry about your Charger, hopefully this other guy will pull though and do it right.

I also totally relate to your situation. I spent up front about 1k a month while this ''expert''
worked on my QQ1 68 R/T. He said it would be done in 3-4mo, he had restored a 68
Charger before. Well two years later and I had given him 15k at this point for just labor, and
the car was 1/2 done and had been sitting out side for 4mo at a time in the snow and rain.

After 5yrs my friends had had enough, and so had I, 12 friends showed up at my door on a Saturday.
We went down and got all my new parts NOS parts, loaded the car on the trailer and brought it
home. So he had it for 5yrs, it has been sitting in my garage for 3yrs now after getting it back,
and I have not touched it  :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:  I have 40k into parts and his labor, and the other
body guys I have talked with after showing them the car, want 15k more to finish it, and make
things correct that are not done right.

Anyway, I am just saying I totally relate to your situation   :brickwall:  at least you have found
somebody else to help finish it. Sorry to add my rant, I am on your side bud...............

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 8WHEELER on August 11, 2007, 12:30:05 AM
Hey Troy
I am very happy your daughter is going to be fine  :2thumbs:  very important for sure.

I am sorry about your Charger, hopefully this other guy will pull though and do it right.

I also totally relate to your situation. I spent up front about 1k a month while this ''expert''
worked on my QQ1 68 R/T. He said it would be done in 3-4mo, he had restored a 68
Charger before. Well two years later and I had given him 15k at this point for just labor, and
the car was 1/2 done and had been sitting out side for 4mo at a time in the snow and rain.

After 5yrs my friends had had enough, and so had I, 12 friends showed up at my door on a Saturday.
We went down and got all my new parts NOS parts, loaded the car on the trailer and brought it
home. So he had it for 5yrs, it has been sitting in my garage for 3yrs now after getting it back,
and I have not touched it  :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:  I have 40k into parts and his labor, and the other
body guys I have talked with after showing them the car, want 15k more to finish it, and make
things correct that are not done right.

Anyway, I am just saying I totally relate to your situation   :brickwall:  at least you have found
somebody else to help finish it. Sorry to add my rant, I am on your side bud...............

Dan

Ah man,,, Dan... That sucks...
I just don't understand these guys you have a big ego.. They apparently don't think there's another one around that can do the work.. I misplaced my trust and confidence based on what I had seen him do.. Pisses me off that he uses the excuse of me telling you all about my frustrations. With that, he used it to validate his exiting of his commitment to me.. I'm a man of integrity and patience.. I held up to my end plus more.. Still have my integrity, but lost my patience.. About 2 years past what my other friends said it should have been...

On one hand, I'm sort of glad that I don't have to deal with him and his inconsistencies and put-offs... So, whoever is tellling him about these threads, tell him that.. I'm pretty sure I know who it is.. I've narrowed it down to 3 people.. But, in reality, it's nothing they did.. So, there's no "rat" out there.. Just someone telling Smitty nothing more than I've already said to his face....

I'll post some more once I get the car over to the other body shop.... This should end on a quicker and more positive note and the car,, well the car should be done and drop-dead gorgeous....

Some people don't understand why I get on here, but you guys are nothing more than an extension of my Mopar friends. No different than me talking to my buddies here close to home.. And, if someone's upset about me telling the truth,, well, you know the rest of it.. Business get referrals by word of mouth.. One has to take the bad with the good... Ironic that it's me that have preached all along how good he is to get boned like I did...  Such is life.....  After two tours in Iraq and the joy of my family and my baby lil' girl, all things are put into perspective...

Thanks again everyone...
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69charger2002 on August 10, 2007, 10:50:52 PM
yes ken's parts were red. the nice car he had was sweet. he took me for a ride in it. 70 i believe.. the car i looked at was in primer, it was not that copper color car
trav

Ah, Ken's '70 pickle !!!!  You're referring to his green '70? That's a sweet car.....  I have the red front fender from that car and a few other things... Still have the reproduction rear quarters that came with the car up in the attic....  Too bad I missed you.. I'll ask about your visit...

Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on August 10, 2007, 11:26:16 AM

Think I found out who did it, one of three potentials... It's no big deal.. He's just telling Smitty nothing more than I've already said to him in person.. He's just mad the world knows of my frustrations.. After all, most of you guys have been following the progress from the get-go...
Troy

Charger_Fan

This thread's a bummer, but I'm glad things didn't go worse, especially with your daughter.
Here's hoping the next paint guy does you right! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

The70RT

Good luck with everything. It seems these storys are all too common. It seems it is hard to get anything done right anymore. :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

duo-stripe

Good luck T, and I am glad to hear Julie wasn't hurt that bad.
Say hi to the family from me,
Greetz, Marcel
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

hemi68charger

Quote from: duo-stripe on August 12, 2007, 11:45:26 AM
Good luck T, and I am glad to hear Julie wasn't hurt that bad.
Say hi to the family from me,
Greetz, Marcel

Thanks Marcel.. I apparently put way too much stock in Smitty to get the job done at a reasonable amount of time and with a reasonable amount of quality...   Too bad......  I'll never refer any one over to him again.....

See you in a few months....

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

Troy,

Sorry to read about all this - REALLY glad that your daughter is alright...

Things have a way of working out, and your car situation is no exception.  Like you said, it may have been a blessing in disguise that Smitty has shown his true colors.  The whole excuse about what you've said online is just that - an excuse, and a bad one at that.  Your integrity is still intact, but he can't say that.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on August 12, 2007, 08:53:20 PM
Troy,

Things have a way of working out, and your car situation is no exception.  Like you said, it may have been a blessing in disguise that Smitty has shown his true colors.  The whole excuse about what you've said online is just that - an excuse, and a bad one at that.  Your integrity is still intact, but he can't say that.

Thanks Geno..
I'll be taking the car to MoMusclecars http://www.momusclecars.com/ .... Tim's a good guy and very down to Earth... I'll probably be helping him on his '69 Charger R/T, the 1st Charger built.. That should be fun to say the least.....

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 12, 2007, 09:26:57 PM
Troy,

Thanks Geno..
I'll be taking the car to MoMusclecars http://www.momusclecars.com/ .... Tim's a good guy and very down to Earth... I'll probably be helping him on his '69 Charger R/T, the 1st Charger built.. That should be fun to say the least.....

Troy

Well, arrangements are made for my '68... I'll be taking it to Mo's around the first of the month... Pushing forward....

Troy
Troy

The70RT

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 13, 2007, 06:40:42 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on August 12, 2007, 09:26:57 PM
Troy,

Thanks Geno..

Troy

Well, arrangements are made for my '68... I'll be taking it to Mo's around the first of the month... Pushing forward....

Troy

I guess as long as Larry & Curly aren't working on it :smilielol:............just kidding Troy. I bet it will be a big relief when it gets done so the elephant can get stuffed in :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger Aficionado

I've seen so many people actually give-up on cars from dealing w/ procrastinating bodymen. 

If he had ANY sort of INTEGRITY, he would step-up and offer to take care of it right away.  I doubt he will do that because of the history he has allready portrayed.  I'll spread the word to the people I met in Houston.  I hope Ted Janak wasn't going to use this guy for the '69 Daytona clone project he purchased from me.  I'll ask him who he plans to use... 

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on August 13, 2007, 07:56:56 PM
I've seen so many people actually give-up on cars from dealing w/ procrastinating bodymen. 

If he had ANY sort of INTEGRITY, he would step-up and offer to take care of it right away.  I doubt he will do that because of the history he has allready portrayed.  I'll spread the word to the people I met in Houston.  I hope Ted Janak wasn't going to use this guy for the '69 Daytona clone project he purchased from me.  I'll ask him who he plans to use... 

Thanks.... Hope Ted doesn't take it to him.. But, I haven't heard of anything like that going to him... I'm sure it's another shop......

Troy
Troy

firefighter3931

Troy, sorry to hear about your troubles. I can totally relate....pulled mine out of a "friends" shop when things weren't progressing as they should have and sent it to another place and it was done in a month.  :icon_smile_big:

I'm sure the new place will do an awesome job and finish it in a timely manner. Looking forward to the progress pics.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69XP383

Troy,

I just got done ranting to resq302 (Brian) about how some moron tried to swap a 400 for the 383 that was supposed to be with the car I bought from a friend I bought it from whos husband recently passed away. He storing the car for her and her husband before he died, and he kept a bunch of parts (radio, fender tags, build sheet, etc.) and acted as if he didn't know what was going on.

The one thing he didn't count on was that she sold it to a person she knew. Long story short, after turning a few shades pf pale white when I finally confronted him and his cursed girlfriend, I did at least get the 383. What he now has to endure is the agony of knowing that every county and state law officer where we live is on to him, and I'll be sure to keep you on my mind when I do catch up to him and throw is rear-end in jail...it's just a matter of time  :whistling:

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69XP383 on August 13, 2007, 10:20:21 PM
Troy,

I just got done ranting to resq302 (Brian) about how some moron tried to swap a 400 for the 383 that was supposed to be with the car I bought from a friend I bought it from whos husband recently passed away. He storing the car for her and her husband before he died, and he kept a bunch of parts (radio, fender tags, build sheet, etc.) and acted as if he didn't know what was going on.

The one thing he didn't count on was that she sold it to a person she knew. Long story short, after turning a few shades pf pale white when I finally confronted him and his cursed girlfriend, I did at least get the 383. What he now has to endure is the agony of knowing that every county and state law officer where we live is on to him, and I'll be sure to keep you on my mind when I do catch up to him and throw is rear-end in jail...it's just a matter of time  :whistling:

Wow,,, man, you have something there, albeit he never did anything criminal, he do me wrong.. I hope you nail this punk.. Hope you got the fender tag and everything else.. I just don't understand some people and their lack of commitment and integrity. Just as you had a 383 stolen, I had 5 years of my life stolen.. Sucks to be tangled and pull along. I probably lost out on about 4 to 5 winged car possibilities because of his butt-draggin' ways.... Not my fault he has sorry time-management skills..
Troy