News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is washington D.C. worth going to visit??

Started by police1, August 08, 2007, 08:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

police1

planning a trip near washington D.C. just wondering what all should i try to see and what are the best places to see. thanks guys!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

moparguy01

i was there for a school function and went to a couple museums, lots of good stuff to see there, and as morbid as it is, check out the hallocaust museum. it puts a whole new perspective on what happened.

69DodgeCharger

Went there about this time of the year in '97. Sure if you can deal with the heat and humidity, the traffic, the outrageous costs, the worthless bums that swarm you at tourist sites like flies on a dead deer, and the Street vendors with their $6.00 bottles of water and hot dogs. Went to most of the Smithsonian buildings which were pretty cool but you have to move fast to see it all. The Washington monument...another street bum hangout and the captol. And then there was the very "interesting' subway ride from Silver Springs into town and back. The best part of our entire trip was escaping D.C. And going into Virgiania and traveling through the Shenendoah National Park on the Blue Ridge Parkway.....But don't  exceed the 35 M.P.H. limit or you'll get pulled over!
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

71charger_fan

The Smithsonian, the Holocaust Museum, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, FBI HQs are but a few of the things to see. As said, it's hot, humid, and nasty this time of year. Using the internet, you should be able to find a good deal on a hotel in the city for a couple of nights. They'll probably charge you an extra 20 or 30 bucks a night to park your car. Or stay out in MD or VA and take the Metro in.

68chrgrwife

I went about 7-8 yrs ago with hubby and I really enjoyed it.  All the museums and statues, memorials, and monuments were just amazing to see in person.  To touch the vietnam wall was the most sobering thing I have ever done in my whole life.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

sunfire69

$6 hot dog :o
You don't know where to eat. Let me know next time your in town, I can get you 2 half smokes with everything, a bag of chips and a coke for 4 bucks...
My favorite it the technology museum with all the trains, boats, machines....The view from the Washington Monument at dusk is the best.
If you get tired of DC, Mount Vernon is close by as well as Manassas Battle Field park, Gettysburg, Sharpsburg..
Lots to see and do.
jerry
Heck if your law enforcement let me know we'll go over to the Senate cafeteria for lunch

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: sunfire69 on August 09, 2007, 07:02:02 AM
$6 hot dog :o
You don't know where to eat. Let me know next time your in town, I can get you 2 half smokes with everything, a bag of chips and a coke for 4 bucks...
My favorite it the technology museum with all the trains, boats, machines....The view from the Washington Monument at dusk is the best.
If you get tired of DC, Mount Vernon is close by as well as Manassas Battle Field park, Gettysburg, Sharpsburg..
Lots to see and do.
jerry
Heck if your law enforcement let me know we'll go over to the Senate cafeteria for lunch

Hey thanks for the offer but I won't be back. I don't like crowds. I prefer to get out in the woods/mountains/country. It was intersting to visit. But by the end of the second day I just wanted out as fast as possible. Although those dogs do sound good. On a side note I did notice the beggars didn't like having their picture taken. I must say one of the highlights of the whole experience was a fight between two streetcart vendors in front of the Smithsonian building with the planes and space capsules. Unfortuanetly I was out of film and didn't have a digital camera at that time.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

chargerboy69

I love DC. There is so much to see and do. I have been there a dozen times. Defiantly visit the Smithsonian, Capital, Jefferson monument, Lincoln monument, Washington monument, Vietman wall and the WWII monument. The White House is cool to visit if it has re-opened.  Arlington is also a good place to see. The grounds have Robert E Lees home there, that you can tour. There is Mt. Vernon which is cool to see. And another Presidents home, Monticello, is not to far from DC, and is a great place to see as well.

Have fun.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

41husk

I loved the Museum and theater were Lincoln was shot,  I havent been to DC in at least 15 years but if your close there are many sites well worth your time.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

68chrgrwife

Quote from: chargerboy69 on August 09, 2007, 09:20:43 AM
I love DC. There is so much to see and do. I have been there a dozen times. Defiantly visit the Smithsonian, Capital, Jefferson monument, Lincoln monument, Washington monument, Vietman wall and the WWII monument. The White House is cool to visit if it has re-opened.  Arlington is also a good place to see. The grounds have Robert E Lees home there, that you can tour. There is Mt. Vernon which is cool to see. And another Presidents home, Monticello, is not to far from DC, and is a great place to see as well.

Have fun.

Arlington was great!  I forgot about that.  I love JFK so to see where he is burried was awesome.  Also the tomb of the unknown and watching the changing of the guard is an expierance you should never miss.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

70charger_boy

DC sucks.  It is infested with empty headed politicians that like to suck your blood and steal your money.  Go to New Jersey

scottmiller

I am at work now, right across the river from DC looking at the Washington Monument as I type.

So many things to see on a first visit, the problem is where to begin, how to prioritze.

The basics (Get tour mobile tickets and hop on and off wherever you wish to go):
- White House tour
- Capital building tour
- Washington Monument
- Smithsonian museums on the mall
- Memorials (Jefferson, Lincoln, Vietnam, WW II, Arlington Cemetary)

Outside the city:
- Mt Vernon
- Udvar Hazy museum at Dulles (very cool if you are into airplanes)
- Manassas Battlefields

Nightlife and Restaurants:
- Georgetown and Midtown
- Old Town Alexandria

Nature Excursions:
- Great Falls
- Shenandoah National Park (Skyline Drive)
- Luray Carvens

Yes... it is hot this time of year (97 and humid right now), be prepared.

-Scott

P.S. Hot dogs are cheap... 2 bucks for 2 dogs and can of coke.  The vendors right on the mall charge more, but walking a block can save you a couple bucks.

68chrgrwife

Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 09, 2007, 01:05:10 PM
DC sucks.  It is infested with empty headed politicians that like to suck your blood and steal your money.  Go to New Jersey

i agree with gpoing to Jersey I miss my home!
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER