News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So conversely, what's the best Mopar deal you ever made?

Started by Ghoste, September 22, 2005, 12:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Twilt started a thread on our dumbest Mopar deals and I thought it might be interesting to know what some of our best deals would be.
I bought my 68 Road Runner in 1981 for 75 dollars.  I did a super quick bondo patch on it, fixed the exhaust and drove it for a year before trading it for a 69 Charger.

bad1032

Had a nice 68, wife convinced me to sell it,   so I did, shortly there after she was gone and bought a 69 with 59,000 mile, storage shed for 100.00   18 years ago, still have it and its not leaving this time, looking for a 68 to join it.

Shakey

Bought my F6 '69 Charger R/T SE that was 85% completed.   Body & paint completed, drivetrain rebuilt, interior all new in boxes ready to go in.   Just taking the time to detail it all before it goes back together.

Was it a deal?   I don't know.

It is my dream car, it was an hour from home, I did not go over my $25K CDN budget (close, but not yet   ;D) and it was appraised at $3K more than I paid 2 weeks after I bought it and I hadn't done anything to it yet.   The appraiser told me to call him when it is completed and he will probably add another $8K - $10 to the appraisal.

As far as I am concerned, it was a deal and a great one at that!

BTW Ghoste, I owe you a PM!

SirNik73

My friend Dan got his 68 Charger for $800. he told us about the car and him and i drove up to see it. once he saw it he wanted it. we went home and told our other friends about it and the next day 4 of us ditched school and headed up the the feild where the charger was parked. we put gas in it and a battary and started it up pulled it forward and changed the oil. we paied the guy the $800 and drove it home.

best part is that all of us gave the office the simalar notes to get back into school the next day, something along the lines of "had to pick up a friend out of town"
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

41husk

I bought my 70 Challenger convertible in 1982 for 2k and a nice driver 70 superbee for $200 in 83 all I needed was to rig the dist hold down fork and replace flex plate.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

twilt

Well the car that made my worst list also makes my best list. I paid $500 for the solid running driving 73 440 car. used is as a daily driver for about 5 years. Also bought a running driving hemi orange  71 SE with black interior with 440 for $500. At last count, i have owned 22 Chargers, 20 of them being 3rd gens and have only paid over $600 for four of them.

John_Kunkel

Back in the late sixties a GM friend called me to help identify a motor, from the description it sounded like a Max Wedge. It was located on the back porch of a rental house, the previous renter had skipped owing the landlord $65 for back rent and that's what he wanted for the motor.

I went to look at it and sure enough it was a complete '63 Stage II 426 Maxie. All I had in cash was twenties so the landlord said "$60 is close enough, I just want it out of here."
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

hemigeno

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 22, 2005, 01:51:09 PM
Back in the late sixties a GM friend called me to help identify a motor, from the description it sounded like a Max Wedge. It was located on the back porch of a rental house, the previous renter had skipped owing the landlord $65 for back rent and that's what he wanted for the motor.

I went to look at it and sure enough it was a complete '63 Stage II 426 Maxie. All I had in cash was twenties so the landlord said "$60 is close enough, I just want it out of here."

:eek:  :bow:

That's awesome!

71440bee

In the early 80's I had wanted a Cuda pretty bad and a guy I knew had a 72 340 4spd black with black interior. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it call me. He calls me 6 months later and says I need to sell it, how about a grand. I said it sounds fair but all I have is 900. He took it. Ahhh, my first Mopar. I drove that car everywhere.

71440bee

Then a few years later I found this one from the original owner. 318 Auto. Another great car. Paid 1,100 for this one. Put the W2 340 I had in the 72 in it. It really screamed!!

71440bee

Then a couple years after that I spent the big bucks on this 4spd car. 5K

Old Moparz

Back when I had my GTX 25 years ago, I found a guy parting one out. With it, he had a bunch of NOS trim, NOS lenses & spare parts. If I had the space, & he wasn't keeping the Dana 60 in it, I could have had the whole car with the parts for $600. I ended up getting the following for $400. Everything was either NOS, or solid & totally rust free.

Air grabber hood set up (complete)
Hood turn signals & moulding
Hood latch assembly & supports
Grille valance & insert
L&R Fenders with front mouldings
L&R Doors
Front bumper with brackets, pads & signals
Grille & both headlight bezels & trim
NOS wheel lip mouldings
NOS rear deck mouldings
NOS back up lenses
NOS side markers (all 4)

I put the air grabber hood on the GTX when I sold it, gave the guy one of the doors, & put the entire nose on my '69 Satellite. I kept everything else because I planned to get another GTX. That never happened, so I sold just the following 3 years ago for $1700 & I'm still shocked.  :o

NOS wheel lip mouldings
NOS rear deck mouldings
NOS back up lenses

After I sold the GTX, I wanted another air grabber hood set up for my Satellite. I had an OEM quarter panel from a parts Satellite I cut up. I paid $85 for that car, sold the bucket seats for that much & traded the mint quarter for the air grabber. All the 2nd air grabber hood cost me was a few Sawzall blades, & I still have it. (The hood, not the blades.)  :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

6pkrunner

Went to argue with a guy over billing me for a 392 and would up walking...driving away with the only 1968 4 speed ragtop Hemi Coronet R/T.

CB

Best deal: my 69 Charger 383- 4bbl, bought in April '05 .
Paid around 10K for it, with rebuild trans and polished rims.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

694spdRT

Bought a 4 speed console driver side trim piece for $10 two years ago on Ebay for my '69.   ;)

My 1972 Challenger is a complete rust free Texas car....2 years ago I gave $100 and an old riding lawn mower I got for free. The guy started getting letters from the town and had no where to store it. He completely rebuilt and worked the 318 with $2500 in receipts. That is the next one on the list to fix up.

My dad gave me the '68 in 1988 so that don't count...very glad to have it though. He had about $300 in it when he bought it in 1975.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Mopar440+6

Quote from: CB on September 22, 2005, 04:50:31 PM
Best deal: my 69 Charger 383- 4bbl, bought in April '05 .
Paid around 10K for it, with rebuild trans and polished rims.

Hey CB been a while since I talked to you. That car sure is looking good! Nice to see it out of that garage! ;)
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

volk68

All my Mopar deals have been really nice.  I'll start with the least expensive first:

1.  My 1973 Plymouth Satellite with 400 came with a companion car for $500.  This car was completely functional, and I replaced the 400 with a 440.  It was my first car ;D  I drove that thing everywhere.

2.  My 73 pickup was wrecked, but at $600 was a great price for a running, functional 4x4.  I learned how to drive a stick in it and taught my brother how to drive in that truck as well.    The truck is now out of paint and well on its way to being a completed frame off resto.

3.  Finally, my 68 Charger was also an excellent deal.  I was offered it at $4,500 in paint with a 440, but I had to pass because I did not have the money at the time.  A few months later, the owner called me back and offered it to me for $2,500, which I jumped on immediately.

BigBlockSam

bought my sloth for $1000 2 yrs ago  440 motor blown tranny now a 4 speed, dana rear

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

rt green

in 1987, a year before every thing around here became desirable, my neibor had a 68 gtx . i used to work on it for him. i had a 69 sattilite at the time. he trid to sell it for 3500. the went down to 2500. then, 1500. nobody wanted it. i was going to school at the time and worked part time. i made payments to his mother for the car, and ended up with the car and the title for 500.00. still have the car today,it has '94 plates on it.
third string oil changer

Chad L. Magee

Well, I guess I would have to count my Hemi car as my best mopar deal $ wise (especially since the prices keep going up).....

Back about six years ago, I bought a 1969 Coronet RT (rough) from a guy who advertised it in the back of MCG.  He sent me some pics of other cars he was wanting to get rid of and amoung them was a 66 Plymouth body (hemi) for $1000 or trade.  I asked him what he wanted to trade and he said that he needed 69 Charger parts (front end sheetmetal, grille, bumper, valence, rear tailpanel) and a few 70 parts (front fenders and hood) in case he decided to make a daytona clone out of his 69.  I agreed to the deal and swapped the parts for the car, because at the time I only had probably $800 in the parts (I did have to find the 69 fenders which were $350/pair).  In case you are not familar with my hemi car, it is an orginal HP2 Satellite, 4-speed, dana-60, dark green metallic, black interior, built on Dec. 15, 1965 and lived a hard drag car life.  It was purchased by him out of a Kansas junkyard after the owner died and the family hiers took over.  Missing are the VIN tag, interior, engine, transmission, rear end, and most of the supension.  What is still there is a solid body with the orginal fender tag and all body stamped numbers have not been played with.  A few years after I bought it (it was being stored at his house for some time during moving of my other cars), a texas collector stopped in and tried despartly to buy the body from him/me.  The collector had one of these cars but was extremely rusted out underneath and he wanted to rebody his car using mine.  I told him to go pound sand...........

As for the car deal that I am most proud of, that you can figure that would be my 70 base /6 Charger that was complete for $1000.............

If you go ford deals, my best find is either my 70 Boss 302 for $200 or my Boss 351 for $300.....

If you go GM, my best deal is my 70 stingray for $500 on ebay three months ago.... (cost more to ship it than to buy it).
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

JimShine

My '68 Charger came complete plus extra doors, grille assembly, trunk lid, interior pieces, and engine for $2800. Sold the extra grille and an extra factory 8 track deck and have less than $1800 into it now.

Dans 68

My sister-in-law and husband had a '73 SE that his father had bought new. Since I was the car guy in the family I ended up performing all the maintenance on the beast (which I enjoyed). A few years ago the husband got his dream job, all the way across the country. They did not want pay to ship the car, so they offered it to me for the transfer fee. So, for about $15 I became the owner of a Charger. Wow....just don't wake me up...!   :P

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

andy74

i bought a 78 pick up,318 auto with cold ac for 35 bucks,and sold it for 950,about 3 years ago,hows that?

jgbailey57

I bought my '69 Charger R/T numbers matching for $1100 in 2001.
'69 Charger R/T patiently waiting in line to be restored... NOT WAITING ANYMORE!!!

RDR-838

Can't tell you my best, but I sure know my worst.  Selling my '69 for $1100.  :'(