News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brakes

Started by lee, August 07, 2007, 08:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee

If I take the discs off a 77to 78 roadrunner and then take them and put the driver side on the pass side of the 68 and the pass side on the driver of the 68 will this work or what esle do i need i have drums all around now and a drum power booster do i need to change that too thanks Lee

lee

or would disca off a 74 charger work on this also please help

is_it_EVER_done?

Either brake system will work, the difference being that the Volare would use slider calipers and the charger would use the pin type. There is nothing wrong with either type, but there are more/better brake pad choices for the sliders, so I only use them anymore.

Another thing to watch for is if the Charger came with 15" wheels. If so it probably has the 12 inch disk system which will not fit if you have 14 inch wheels.

As far as swapping the assemblies from side to side, there is no problem, it just depends on what you want to accomplish. It will switch the brakes from front mount to rear mount, or vice versa.

I only rear mount them and use the later model sliders, if you choose that option, you will need the flex lines specified for a 73 Charger for the best fit. If you want to front mount them I can't help on which flex line you need.

As far as using the drum booster and master, No problem as long as you remove the residual pressure valve from the port that is closest to the firewall (front brake portion) of your M/C (or make sure it didn't have one), and check the fluid level every few months as the drum M/C doesn't have as much fluid capacity as a disk M/C. It's also is dependant on your cam size and if it produces adequate vacuum to operate a booster, If not, just switch to manual brakes by ditching the booster and the brake pedal linkage, and buying a manual brake push rod and plastic retainer.

You will also need to grab and use the proportioning valve for the car you pull the brakes from.