News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4speed problem; Getting her in gear

Started by hemi68charger, August 07, 2007, 07:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Not sure if it's just a simple shifter adjustment, but I'm having reoccurring problems with my 4-speed in my '69 Charger 500.. If I put her in neutral, let's say at a red light, I have problems getting her into any gear when I need to. Then, she'll pop in and it'll all be fine. Once I get her into gear, she shifts fine. If I down shift, she works fine too. That's what I'll usually do as of late, down shift and get her into 1st and then just hold the clutch pedal down until I get a green light or it's my turn at the stop sign. Don't think the syncro's are messed up.. Maybe it's a shifter/rods alignment issue? The shifter is a OEM Hurst with age on her...

Thanks..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

67_Dodge_Charger

Sounds like the clutch plate is a little thin.

Robert

Charger1973

That 90 4 cyl 5 spd Mustang I was beating around in did the exact same thing and it was a cable operated clutch...  Makes me think its probably not your linkages. 

70charger_boy

Sounds like a throw bearing to me.  Next time you get to a light, before you come to a complete stop put the clutch in put it in 1st and keep the clutch in and see if it stays in gear

69_500

I've got a simple solution for you Troy. Get rid of that pesky car and get an AT version, like say oh I dont know an R4 red one? Just kidding.

Since I've already chimed in, I'll give ya my thoughts, and they are the same as the first response. I was having simliar issues with a 74 duster that I used to have. Shifting was fine, going between gears, but getting into that first gear from neutral was a bear.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 07, 2007, 07:02:48 PM
Sounds like a throw bearing to me.  Next time you get to a light, before you come to a complete stop put the clutch in put it in 1st and keep the clutch in and see if it stays in gear

Works every time I do that.. If I do that, I have no problem.. But then again, who wants to depress the clutch pedal all the time...... Maybe these years of banging gears and breaking driveshafts has taken it's toll on the clutch surface......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on August 07, 2007, 07:28:23 PM
I've got a simple solution for you Troy. Get rid of that pesky car and get an AT version, like say oh I dont know an R4 red one? Just kidding.

Since I've already chimed in, I'll give ya my thoughts, and they are the same as the first response. I was having simliar issues with a 74 duster that I used to have. Shifting was fine, going between gears, but getting into that first gear from neutral was a bear.

Danny, if I didn't like the 4-speed so much, I'd probably take you up on it, I love your car...........
Troy

70charger_boy

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 08, 2007, 02:14:34 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 07, 2007, 07:02:48 PM

Works every time I do that.. If I do that, I have no problem.. But then again, who wants to depress the clutch pedal all the time...... Maybe these years of banging gears and breaking driveshafts has taken it's toll on the clutch surface......  :icon_smile_big:

Yep, it's the throw.  If your pressure plate was going you would smell it and also have pedal travel

69_500

Troy don't even think of it. A 4 speed car trumps an AT any day of the week in my book. I wouldn't trade a 4 speed for an AT anyday. Your car is in much nicer shape than mine anyways. Only thing mine has going for it is the red exterior, but not many like the white interior.

John_Kunkel

Either the clutch isn't fully releasing or the pilot ushing is dry and dragging the input shaft.

With the cover removed from the bottom of the bellhousing have some one depress the clutch and measure the gap between the disc and the pressure plate with a feeler gauge. .030" is minimum, .050"-.060" is better.

If the gap is OK, try to turn the disc with the pedal depresed and the shifter in Neutral. If the disc won't turn the pilot is dragging.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

resq302

Quote from: 69_500 on August 08, 2007, 04:47:17 PM
Troy don't even think of it. A 4 speed car trumps an AT any day of the week in my book. I wouldn't trade a 4 speed for an AT anyday. Your car is in much nicer shape than mine anyways. Only thing mine has going for it is the red exterior, but not many like the white interior.

I like that color combo.  Although I am a little prejudice to it.   :coolgleamA:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mick70RR

If it's any consolation, I have the same trouble getting into first from neutral. It's fine when the engine is cold but difficult when it's hot. I rebuilt the 4 speed and fitted a new clutch and still the same so I just select first before I come to a stop.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads