News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

lol thats it I need to move(rant... kinda)

Started by ChargerRT440, August 07, 2007, 02:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRT440

Hey guys. lol I'm having a laugh at myself here. I've been thinking about building a classic mopar that I could use as a daily driver something kinda rare and peculiar. I've got my 84 ramcharger but to me thats not peculiar enough lol. I'm one of those guys who honestly hates new vehicles. I love my 98 don't get me wrong but I'm not into paying 2500 to get a transmission rebuilt. So my head tells me I should find an older mopar and build it for year round use. But that brings up another problem. We have winter and were I live we use lots of salt meaning the classic would rust away. lol anyone have that problem? you think of a great idea and then crush it yourself because of your environment isn't suited for your idea lol. guess I'll just have to move somewhere nice and hot. Florida maybe? oh wait the hurricanes! maybe kansas... no can't move there them toronados. lol sigh  :lol:

69-DodgeCharger

you could do a really nice undercoating job on it and wash it like once or twice a week. theres a place down the road from me that does 50cent car washes on tuesdays to your whole car gets clean on like 2.50 worth or however much time you spend washing

Forza

The salt has to stay on for long periods of time to start rusting. Just wash it once every 1-2 weeks and you should be fine.

Mike DC

Pick a lesser-desirable bodystyle from the 1960s/70s.  Doesn't even have to be pre-75 if you don't go too far into the modern era and hit smog rules.  Just choose one that's accepting of all the classic mechanical gear, but it's not gonna cost a lot or be impossible to replace damaged body parts. 

OttawaCharger

1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

70charger_boy

I have a 75 trans am that I planned on using for my daily driver.  I live in New england, so I know about the salt and snow.  Let me tell you.  Older cars require alot of maintenance.  For some crazy reason, it is so easy to get a paint chip on an older car than a new one.  You have to spend at least an hour a day going over everything on the car and you will always have to worry about taking it out on long trips.  If you do decide to do it, listen to these guys and pick something less desirable.  Look at a  74 valiant .  Whatever you do, good luck.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 07, 2007, 06:52:49 PM
  Look at a  74 valiant .  Whatever you do, good luck.

I know a guy with 76 Valiant slant 6 dead granny special.   I don't know how much he wants but I know I don't need it.  (Yes I know I'm crude.   So?)

Personally I'm over trying to use 30 year old cars for daily drivers... especially where winter happens.    Fuel injection is just so much better than pumpin and praying.   It's a nice idea but very impractical.   Old Cherokees are cheap and and go through most anything if you give them a little TLC.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: ChargerRT440 on August 07, 2007, 02:17:37 AM
Florida maybe? oh wait the hurricanes! maybe kansas... no can't move there them toronados. lol sigh  :lol:

Its simple...British Columbia. Mild winters (we still get snow though), nice hot and mild summers, no hurricanes, no tornados. Its the best place on Earth! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TruckDriver

Quote from: Forza on August 07, 2007, 05:14:19 AM
The salt has to stay on for long periods of time to start rusting. Just wash it once every 1-2 weeks and you should be fine.

I wash my van in the winter once a week whether it needs it or not, and it is still rusting away  :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

70charger_boy

Salt is real bad.  You can wash 20 times a week It will still be on the metal

Charger1973

4 door A bodies are a great idea.  But again parts can be a bitch.  Im partial to Chevy trucks as daily drivers and the S10s and S10 Blazers are dirt cheap and reliable when taken care of. 

ChargerRT440

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 07, 2007, 09:31:41 PM
Quote from: ChargerRT440 on August 07, 2007, 02:17:37 AM
Florida maybe? oh wait the hurricanes! maybe kansas... no can't move there them toronados. lol sigh  :lol:

Its simple...British Columbia. Mild winters (we still get snow though), nice hot and mild summers, no hurricanes, no tornados. Its the best place on Earth! :cheers:
and the grass is pretty good to eh?  :D lol jk. never tried that stuff myself.

Honestly I could never bring myself to drive a chevy or ford even in the winter months. I simply hate them.

I do have a solution to the pump pump pray. I have a 2bbl holley fuel injection and wiring harness from a 90 Dodge Ram maybe I could graft that onto a slantys intake manifold with a custom adapter. I would like a 4 door preferabbly for a winter car. I was thinking maybe a diplomat.

The70RT

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 07, 2007, 10:05:23 PM
4 door A bodies are a great idea.  But again parts can be a bitch.  Im partial to Chevy trucks as daily drivers and the S10s and S10 Blazers are dirt cheap and reliable when taken care of. 

:iagree: Had one with 280,000 miles on it. The front end finally shot craps........and well of course the body rusted away.. The older it got the better the gas milage due to the body rusting off the chassis.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ChargerRT440

Quote from: The70RT on August 09, 2007, 08:13:32 PM
Quote from: Charger1973 on August 07, 2007, 10:05:23 PM

:iagree: Had one with 280,000 miles on it. The front end finally shot craps........and well of course the body rusted away.. The older it got the better the gas milage due to the body rusting off the chassis.
lol nice. gotta love that. if you wanna save on gas mileage just take them doors off lol.