News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how to get that choppy sound...

Started by ScottMH, August 05, 2007, 06:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottMH

am i correct that the camshaft has alot with producing a nice rough idle with the choppy exhaust? i really want a agressive idle tone and rumble. so does it have more to do with the lift, or the degress, or the centerline? or does it not have much to do with the cam at all?

Musicman

Pulling a couple of plug wires will give you a rough idle and a choppy exhaust  :nana:  but I recommend an aggressive cam if your looking for performance  :D

Purple440

A tighter LSA will help with that, but if you're not setup right you'll lose performance.  :Twocents:

OttawaCharger

Comp Cams just come out with the Thumpr series camshafts.  They're supposed to give you that classic sound but I haven't seen any reviews on them yet.  :shruggy:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

mikesbbody

Quote from: OttawaCharger on August 06, 2007, 08:52:49 PM
Comp Cams just come out with the Thumpr series camshafts.  They're supposed to give you that classic sound but I haven't seen any reviews on them yet.  :shruggy:

I think the thumpr series are only availible for small blocks but i could be mistaken. you can download the sound from comp cam's website I wasnt all that impressed with it to be honest.

Musicman

You by a cam based it's performance characteristics, not for the way it makes your car sound...  :brickwall:

Purple440

Quote from: Musicman on August 07, 2007, 08:18:26 AM
You by a cam based it's performance characteristics, not for the way it makes your car sound...  :brickwall:

Listen to this wise man  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on August 07, 2007, 08:31:16 AM
Quote from: Musicman on August 07, 2007, 08:18:26 AM

Listen to this wise man  :2thumbs:

:iagree: Idle "sound" is the last thing i consider when picking out a cam profile.....it's inconsequential (to me).

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ScottMH

Purple440

Quote from: ScottMH on August 07, 2007, 12:02:16 PM
or you buy it for both...

No way, you buy a cam for your performance requirements based on your build, not sound.  If it happens to be "lumpy" at idle and matches your build then congratulations.  I'm living proof that picking the right cam can make or break your engine performance given the drive train.

max

i always use a tight LSA, like something in the 108 degree line and then install it in the engine with a 4 or 5 degree advance and they have always had a really nice sound plus great bottom end power.

Ghoste

Choose it based on performance and no other criteria and the rough idle will follow on it's own.

Steve P.

potato-potato-potato-potato-potato..............................   :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Mefirst

Back when my 440 was still breathing, at idle it sounded like low, off key "Romp-pomp-ti-di, Romp-pomp-ti-di, Romp-pomp-ti-di..." :icon_smile_big: At high RPMs it sounded more or less like "WROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" :smilielol:

/Tom

Rolling_Thunder

go 312*/312* duration on a 106 LSA     :nana:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Purple440

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 21, 2007, 08:48:04 PM
go 312*/312* duration on a 106 LSA     :nana:
That will work , I hope you can tune a carb though , it wont idle on anything less than the main circuit & no power under 3000 RPM ... but hey sound is everything right  :smilielol:

Duey

73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Foreman72

just wanted to bring this back out...

get timing gears instead of a chain...

but this probably won't help anyone :icon_smile_big:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Mefirst

greenpigs

Ask a tech at comp cams or some other manufactor and tell them what you want.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Duey

73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

c00nhunterjoe

a gear drive will give you the "blower" sound to the untrained ear. wont change the idle lope at all.  my 292 cam makes great low end power, but really comes alive at 2500-3000. it idles great and i can start the car by reaching through the window and hitting the key. it putts around town at 1000 rpm with ease and has no hesitation taking off from lights or in city driving. all this with the crazy "lope" idle that this guy wanted in the begining. driveability is all about putting the right combo together and tuning it just right. if i had to do it all over again i would change the profile to idle as smooth as possible to get the max power yet sound stock.... ie- sleeper. my car is no sleeper as you cant mistake the sound of it. one of these days i will get the wife in the car with the camera to get some updated videos as the ones i have are without any tune-up, i just got the car going after sitting for several years and they are all on a blown tranny.......... she's a whole different machine now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2-43vYDYs

Foreman72

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 21, 2009, 09:31:18 PM
a gear drive will give you the "blower" sound to the untrained ear. wont change the idle lope at all.  my 292 cam makes great low end power, but really comes alive at 2500-3000. it idles great and i can start the car by reaching through the window and hitting the key. it putts around town at 1000 rpm with ease and has no hesitation taking off from lights or in city driving. all this with the crazy "lope" idle that this guy wanted in the begining. driveability is all about putting the right combo together and tuning it just right. if i had to do it all over again i would change the profile to idle as smooth as possible to get the max power yet sound stock.... ie- sleeper. my car is no sleeper as you cant mistake the sound of it. one of these days i will get the wife in the car with the camera to get some updated videos as the ones i have are without any tune-up, i just got the car going after sitting for several years and they are all on a blown tranny.......... she's a whole different machine now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2-43vYDYs

aha...i just saw choppy sound and figured i throw in...but its all good
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

starai73racing

comp cams definetly did good with their thumper cam sieries. i to like the rough idle and my thumper cam makes the car sit and shake at the stoplights!

Ghoste

Isn't it ironic that most of the guys with the really fast street driven cars are trying to find ways to make the idle smoother?

c00nhunterjoe

oh dont get me wrong, i love my idle and i have no issues with it. just saying it would be neat to have a 0 power loss but have a purring idle

Steve P.

Hahaha.... I agree, but I think the closest you can come to zero power loss and purring idle is an electric car. Oddly though, I like the idea of an electric car... I saw one on one of the science channels that was damn fast and did not spin the tires out of the hole... I was impressed...  Still need a recording of a rumble or something though..  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

:yesnod:   Electric motors are VERY powerful. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Rob R

This is only the third time in 30 plus years that I've heard this question asked... :-\