News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Bourne Ultimatum: a great Action movie

Started by Brock Samson, August 05, 2007, 11:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

:popcrn:

saw it last night and it was very engrossing.

it was sold out at three theaters, some playing it on multiple screens, i was in line at one place and watched as at least a dozen assholes cut in line,.. this one chick tried to cut in front of me and i told her "I don't think so"  but when i got up to the front of this huge line her and her friends are six or seven people ahead of me and so and I am on the verge of killing someone at this point. I managed to make it home without doing so however. i really don't know how though...
 :flame:
  anyhow it's a good flick.

Crazy Larry

I heard the car chase scene in it is one of the best ever. Is that true?

Of course it won't ever out-do Bullit - but for today's standards, I hear it outdoes Ronin.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brock Samson

the chase and the fight scenes suffer from what i like to call the "What the frick is going on!?" editing,.. grainy,.. jumbled, too fast, too close,.. etc..  will say the folks charged with continuity should get an acadamy award...

The70RT

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 05, 2007, 01:08:46 PM
the chase and the fight scenes suffer from what i like to call the "What the frick is going on!?" editing,.. grainy,.. jumbled, too fast, too close,.. etc..  will say the folks charged with continuity should get an acadamy award...

I hear ya. I was in the second row........TOO CLOSE!  :P

Dodge Don

He uses PayPass in the film. Good enough for me.

h76

Saw it Friday afternoon.The theater in our town was  about 75% full.But by no means was there a line for it(Probably a different story for the night shows).I loved all three Bourne movies.
In my opinion Matt Damon is a hell of an actor compared to the tools that get more publicity.Heard an interview this week from him on Jim Rome show(sports radio)-he was very gracious and down to earth.Some of the fight scenes were a little overdone-but in all,it did what a good movie is supposed to do...make you leave the theater at the end wanting more and talking about it.I'd give a 9 out of 10. :2thumbs:
PS-To anyone who hasn't seen the first two,watch those first before you see this one,so as not to be confused with what is going on.

Mike DC

I just saw it.  It came off more like the second "Bourne" than the first one. 

The car chase wasn't all that long or anything, but it involved some wrecking in over-the-top-but-realistically-staged ways. 

The jarring camera stuff is what that director does.  He's a documentary veteran.
I don't remember if there was a single shot in the entire two hour-movie that wasn't done with a handheld camera.  (And I don't just mean the action scenes.)  It's annoying, but it also works to convey the frenetic emotional sense of the scenes better than a traditional "3rd party observer" style of shooting & editing.  Just try to sit in the back of the theater when you go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they really wanna redo "Bullitt," they could do a lot worse than casting Matt Damon in McQueen's place.

Bandit72

i just saw it and loved every minute of it... i actually kinda like the way the fights and chases are filmed in this one....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Crazy Larry

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 05, 2007, 11:57:23 PM
I just saw it.  It came off more like the second "Bourne" than the first one. 

The car chase wasn't all that long or anything, but it involved some wrecking in over-the-top-but-realistically-staged ways. 

The jarring camera stuff is what that director does.  He's a documentary veteran.
I don't remember if there was a single shot in the entire two hour-movie that wasn't done with a handheld camera.  (And I don't just mean the action scenes.)  It's annoying, but it also works to convey the frenetic emotional sense of the scenes better than a traditional "3rd party observer" style of shooting & editing.  Just try to sit in the back of the theater when you go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they really wanna redo "Bullitt," they could do a lot worse than casting Matt Damon in McQueen's place.

I always wondered why they have to purposely shake all the time - there is a technique to be handheld yet still very still - all it takes is good arm and muscle control. Steven Soderberg does it all the time in movies like Erinn Brockovich and Ocean's 11. In know the Bourne series changed directors after the first one - this new guy needs to frame up and let the action take place inside. I hate it when he tried to make the camera part of the action and start shaking it to get a frenetic feel - that's a bunch of bells and whistles that filmmakers use when they have little faith in their material. And the Bourne material is fantastic - he should just take it down a notch - but unfortunately, as I read here, he is the same in 3 as he was in 2.

Oh well

CharlieCharger

Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Mike DC

I think the camera-shaking trend is rooted in two things:

1.  Spielberg demonstrated that it can be brutally effective in "Saving Private Ryan."  He did that style once in 1998 to subconsciously mimic the actual old WWII footage, and then the floodgates opened and it's pretty much all we've seen in blockbuster action scenes from every other director ever since.

2.  Modern directors have no sense of the difference between watching something on a small TV screen versus a huge theater screen.  That style of shaky-cam work comes off better on smaller screens.  But it overloads your senses on the huge theater walls, and a lot of directors don't seem to realize that issue when they're shooting & editing everything on small screens.  And what's worse, most of the current directors honed their skills on TV commercials & music videos before getting movie deals.

SirNik73

I agree with the camera work being junky. I like watching the first one more then the second one. I haven't seen the third one yet.
I miss the days of classic action movies. I Loved the new Die Hard. filmed like the old ones. nothing to distract you. just pure action. I miss the pure action movies. the ones you don't even need to think about. movies where you go to the theater and is like going on a roller coaster. movies like Armageddon, Independence Day, all the Die Hards, the first Rambo (sorry the rest of them are just to... for lack of a better word, silly) i don't think I've seen a good pure action movie, besides the latest die hard, in years.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: SirNik73 on August 06, 2007, 04:52:56 PM
I agree with the camera work being junky. I like watching the first one more then the second one. I haven't seen the third one yet.
I miss the days of classic action movies. I Loved the new Die Hard. filmed like the old ones. nothing to distract you. just pure action. I miss the pure action movies. the ones you don't even need to think about. movies where you go to the theater and is like going on a roller coaster. movies like Armageddon, Independence Day, all the Die Hards, the first Rambo (sorry the rest of them are just to... for lack of a better word, silly) i don't think I've seen a good pure action movie, besides the latest die hard, in years.

Man you forgot one of the classics.....Predator.....The shame. Please turn in your man card as you exit the room.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Crazy Larry

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on August 06, 2007, 08:55:43 PM
Quote from: SirNik73 on August 06, 2007, 04:52:56 PM

Man you forgot one of the classics.....Predator.....The shame. Please turn in your man card as you exit the room.

:smilielol: :rofl: :smilielol: :rofl:

SirNik73

1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Brock Samson

that was awsome... run to the border...  :smilielol:

:scratchchin: maybe that should be the catchup commercial...  :smilielol:

69DodgeCharger

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on August 07, 2007, 02:32:01 PM
Quote from: SirNik73 on August 07, 2007, 01:07:29 PM
I'm here to get my man card back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WrH9evnuoQ

:cheers:

By force if necessary!

Man that is the funniest thing I have seen in a while. You get a "Gold Club" man card!

The70RT

Thats funnier than hell. Someone should have stuck that in the "Mexicans are taking over" thread before it was locked :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: