News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To insulate or no to insulate

Started by monty76, July 29, 2005, 01:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty76

I'm getting the engine rebuilt next week. During that time I'll have the car minus the engine. During that time I'm going to clean up the engine bay so to speak. The question is: Should I install the fire wall insulation? I've seen ads on Ebay for the fiberglass mat type insulation with the shiny aluminium surface. Any pros or cons worth knowing?

8WHEELER

I put the stock under dash fire wall insulation back in my blue 68 RT, not all 68's came with it I think it helps a little, its an inch thick.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

BigBlockSam

i put it in my rod. helped alot. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

G Force

I am also thinking abount insulating the fire wall. I have seen a product called Dynamat and another one called Fatmat.
Has anyone used either one of these products?   How difficult is it to get under the dash area, whats the most effective way to do this witout taking the dash out??

Recharger

Well, first off my advice would be yes, you'd probably be better off to install the insulation.   having said that, are you going to have the interior apart, or just the engine bay?   If you're not already planning to tear apart the interior, it's a hell of a project.   But do-able...just be patient and prepared for the work.

I've been "about to" do this part of the project for about a year now, and I'm finally to the point where I'm ready to install the insulation.   The dash & heater box are out of the way, and I'll be installing some sort of sound deadener/insulator as soon as the seats & carpet come out.   I asked about this a while back on the old site, and I remember Phat69charger had a good link to an "offbrand" Dynamat source that looked like it would achieve the same results and save a few bucks.   Meanwhile, I bookmarked the thread itself and not the site he linked, so the info is gone.   You out there Phat69?   what was that stuff you recommended?

I see now that the existing insulation is thick..about 1 or 1.25" thick.   Anyone know if the modern thinner insulations cause problems?   Seems the Dynamat type stuff is usually about 3/8" thick....does this allow things to rattle more than with the thicker padding?     Rattles really wear on my nerves after a while....

BigBlockSam

i bought mine out of jegs. it's about 3/8 thick. i used spray contact cement to attach it. worked well. i was in my friends 66 charger the other day and i had slippers on. my feet were frying on the floor. it helps , for sure. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

miamivice

Quote from: Recharger on July 30, 2005, 02:09:09 AM
Well, first off my advice would be yes, you'd probably be better off to install the insulation.  having said that, are you going to have the interior apart, or just the engine bay?  If you're not already planning to tear apart the interior, it's a hell of a project.  But do-able...just be patient and prepared for the work.

I've been "about to" do this part of the project for about a year now, and I'm finally to the point where I'm ready to install the insulation.  The dash & heater box are out of the way, and I'll be installing some sort of sound deadener/insulator as soon as the seats & carpet come out.  I asked about this a while back on the old site, and I remember Phat69charger had a good link to an "offbrand" Dynamat source that looked like it would achieve the same results and save a bucks.  Meanwhile, I bookmarked the thread itself and not the site he linked, so the info is gone.  You out there Phat69?  what was that stuff you recommended?

I see now that the existing insulation is thick..about 1 or 1.25" thick.  Anyone know if the modern thinner insulations cause problems?  Seems the Dynamat type stuff is usually about 3/8" thick....does this allow things to rattle more than with the thicker padding?   Rattles really wear on my nerves after a while....

check out  www.partsexpress.com, they usualy have a bunch of diffrent brands of insulation, at pretty good prices.

phat69charger

Miamivice, you posted the right link that I posted before, here's the page with all sound deadening products:   http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=35&ObjectGroup_ID=37&SO=2