News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whats the dumbest mopar deal you have ever made?

Started by twilt, September 21, 2005, 11:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilt

As the author of this thread, i guess  i get to publicly admit to a couple of dumb deals.

back around 1994 i traded a running/driving solid 73 charger with  440 for a Hyundai .  :-[ :-[ :-[ :bawling: :brickwall: :iamwithstupid: :spank: At the time i had 5 or 6 chargers and the now ex wife needed a new daily driver.

around 1990, while stationed at Seymor Johnson AFB in Goldsboro NC,  i turned down a solid running/driving (missing original  hood)  71 super bee with a 440 for $900. The guy had more than $2k in engine reciepts. Instead, i bought a 70 charger ( i had always wanted a 70)  with a locked up 318 out of a junkyard for $1500. that car turned out to be a royal peice of crap. The rear 1/2 of the car was 80% body filler. i ended up parting it out and getting about 60-70% of my money back.
whats your story? :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_question:

Nupe

Missed out on a few Mopar steals, but the one that hurts was a '70 'cuda.   340 pistol grip, black interior, ralles that everybody passed on because it LOOKED like a bondo buggy.   Turned out the nasty looking paint was faded original inviolet.   :icon_smile_blackeye:   Guy had my friend and I look at how solid it was underneath and the purple was still shiny.

Original except for not numbers motor.   Not hacked in any way.   Only rust was a little on the rear wheel lips and the lower driver's fender.   Came with a NOS fender for that and NOS lower gilled rocker panels.   :-X   Not a complete steal, but I should have known thses cars wouldn't get any easier/cheaper to find in '98.   Sold for $4,000.  

'79 Lil'Red Express.

Lowprofile

Around 1982, a friend of mine had a cousin who was looking to sell his "hot rod". Seems a irate girlfriend took a hammer to his car because of issues with infidelity. Anyway, I took a ride over his house after work. Remember now, I was 20 years old. Sitting in the driveway was a 1971 GTX. Black, with white interior, 440-6pak, 4-speed, Dana 60 and all the other good options. The girlfriend had dented just about every body panel, the drivers side glass and windshield were shattered, and it was all keyed up. He told me he just had a new clutch installed and the carbs rebuilt. I asked him how much for the car. He said he couldn't bear to look at the car anymore......."I'll take $1200 for it" 3 Weeks before, I had just spent all my savings on a 68 Charger, 318, auto, a/c, etc... $1500!

I had to pass. :bawling:

BTW, He sold it 2 weeks later for $750.  I hate him. :brickwall: :mad: :slap:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Ghoste

Where to start?  Had an AAR and a 71 Chally 340 'vert, both of which I sold.  Even though that was back in the 80's, I still should have kept them just because they were cool cars.  I passed on a 70 Challenger RT/SE in the 80's because the owner and I were 50 bucks apart.  The car was immaculate and were twice what he was asking but I was too young and stupid to let him "win".  Similar story on a 70 Challenger RT convertible.  We were a long ways apat on that deal but the car was worth every cent he was asking and more but he wasn't moving from his price so I wasn't either.
The dumbest move by far on a personal level was selling the Charger that I had in the late 80's

TruckDriver

I bought this '74 Rallye for $700. in '92 the way you see it. It was a 360 4spd car, sure-grip rear. And except for a few small spots, still solid. But when I got it, it had a 318 and a automatic installed. But it still had the clutch peddles. The guy who sold it to me said the original 360 was put into a pickup. But the guy who had the motor, still had the original 4spd & pistol grip shifter that I could buy for a price. It had the Rallye dash with a tach delete (just a blank pod), and a dealer installed hood tach. Since I joined this group about a year and a half ago, I learned there was only 92 of these 360 4spd cars made :brickwall: Anyway, I sold it about 6 month later for $700. then bought a black/silver '86 Shelby Charger :brickwall:

In '99, I paid $1000. for the '69 Charger which was a original T-5 Copper/white top/tan interiour 383 4spd car(had a 413 when I got it). This car still need floors and 1 frame rail, but was restorable. I sold it cause my now EX-wife didn't want me to keep it and not be able to drive it :blahblah: :mad: :brickwall:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Plumcrazy

Was going to trade my Charger in on a 70 Superbird.   Superbird was $2100, I was getting $1400 trade in on my Charger.
There wasn't an insurance company on this planet that would insure an 18 year old kid with a Superbird.

Did get to test drive it though :boogie:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

71440bee

I remember standing in a guys dirveway (early 80's) with my buddy looking at this 70 Hemi Challenger saying no way man. 4,500 is way to much! We were buying 900 mopars at the time so it seemed ridiculous.  :rotz:

472 R/T SE

Around '87, I passed up a deal trading straight across my 68 Coronet RT for a 70 cuda with multi carbs with Jerry Junemann. :'(  I know he knew better, but he was wanting my car.

That same 68 I sold to a guy, he gave me a Honda Civic and $3500.  I still cringe every time I think about that one.

41husk

I sold my 70 superbee in 1984 for 2k and thought I had made a great deal! I also gave a guy a 74 challenger that only needed freeze plugs to run ( it would run just needed to stop every mile or so and add water) to help me tear down my 70 Challenger. I also sold a 67 plum crazy Barracuda 273 good daily driver for 2K because my son diddnt want it.  Thats enough I am getting depressed :(
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ctcharger

Selling my 71 Challenger (1st car) for $1400.  That was in 1990.  Then selling my 69 Charger 383 4speed car for $300 minus the engine. :brickwall:

Live and learn.

CT

jmanscharger

I sold a 70 Charger to a kid to help him get into Chargers for $500 , saw it on ebay for $3000 several months later. I didn't lose anything on the car, no big deal.
It's the deals I turned down that bug me. Not buying the only four speed car I have seen for sale (back in 2002), a 1969 4 speed 383 Charger for $2500. The car needed quarters, but just no four speeds around here. Also 69 RT/SE driver for $7000...
Recently I could have bought 2 68 projects for $5000 (they were nasty and apart!) I turned them down and watched them both sell on ebay for $5000 each.
1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)

Old Moparz

Maybe the dumbest deal I ever made was not making the actual deal. Around 1984 I decided my '69 Charger SE was too rusty to bother with. There was no aftermarket sheet metal being made back then, & most body shops would literally laugh when you'd tell them you would get a pair of clean used quarters for them. I hunted for a clean Charger body for a few months, but turned up zip. I then started to open up to other B-Bodies so I could at least use all the mechanical parts & drive train from my Charger.

One car I called about was a '69 4-speed, Road Runner missing it's motor & trans. It had no price in the ad, but you never know. The guy on the phone told me it still had the original paint from when it was a race car. (Red White & Blue) The motor was long gone, but it was still a solid , rust free roller. (Factory Hemi car) After talking a while about Mopars, he said he wanted $3000 for it.

I thought that was high for just a roller when you could still get nice drivers for that money. I got directions to go see it anyway, but then called him back after deciding I didn't want to spend that much for a car that I still needed to find a transmission for. Besides, the automatic trans I had in the Charger was new, so I didn't want to spend money twice. A couple of years later, I saw the car at the Mopars at Englishtown show. It was restored with a Hemi & the (Red White & Blue) paint job. They even put the lettering back on too.

"Sox & Martin"   ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ghoste

ChargerST

Bought a 68 Charger 318 (my first car) back in 2001. Was a running and driving car only needing quarters and rear valance. I had plans to export it to Europe and restore it. Unfortunately a lack of money forced me to sell the Charger only 4 months later (lost couple hundreds $$$).

Was a red/black Washington car. A friend sold the Charger to someone in BC - don't know where it is right now (I'm looking to buy it back).

If anyone knows something about the Charger (red with black vinyl top, black interior, 318, Washington car, sold 2001 in Langley, BC) please tell me! Have pics and VIN.

Steve

MoparMotel

around 1998 my dad passed on a PERFECTLY restored 1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Six pack pistol grip console 4 speed numbers matching yellow with black interior absolutly PERFECT for $10,000.

He says that one still hurts today!
1968 Dodge Charger

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on September 22, 2005, 09:08:34 AM
Ouch.   That one hurt just reading about it.

It wouldn't hurt as bad if I told you what I would have done to the car if I bought it.   :D   

1)   Strip "old" paint.
2)   Put 383 magnum into original Hemi car.
3)   Pick a new color.
4)   Install '69 SE interior for comfort.
5)   Make it a daily driver in the New Jersey/New York City metro area.

Some things are best if they just don't happen.    :smilielol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

4forty

Sold my '70 AAR 'Cuda  /Black Inter/ Pistol 4-spd/340 to pay for a '79 Black Trans Am. Still hunting for it today!

69fuchs

Passed up a white with red interior 69 hemi charger 500. Numbers matching block was in the trunk, had a running 440 with the numbers matching 4 speed in it. Driving car no rust issues-1980.   $4500.00   I was only 9 years old, my dad told him he was nuts!!! To much money!!! God, I wish I could have been a few years older......

my73charger

I sold my solid good running 70 Challenger to my nephew for $400 in 1985.  The only bad part of that car was that it needed new interior.  Man I am still kicking myself. :flame:

hemigeno

I passed on an opportunity to buy Phil Painter's 1970 freshly restored HemiCuda in 1996.   B5/black interior, console 4-speed, well-optioned, perfectly restored - it took 2nd place in the 1996 Mopar Nat's.   He wanted to move the car, and offered it to me for $55,000.   That seems like a lot, and it was - but think about what it would be worth today.

Worst thing was, my wife told me to buy it...     :slap:

SirNik73

when i was in high school i passed on a 1972 Dart Swinger for $400. it was no super car... but it was a Dogde and it had a 318 and when your in high school that is what you want.... i had to fix my toyota!!!!! so no money to buy the Dart  :P it took me 2 more years til i was able to get my Charger. but my Charger is better then that Dart in every way.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

TruckDriver

Quote from: hemigeno on September 22, 2005, 10:39:29 AM
I passed on an opportunity to buy Phil Painter's 1970 freshly restored HemiCuda in 1996.  

WHO???
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

hemigeno

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on September 22, 2005, 12:27:58 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on September 22, 2005, 10:39:29 AM
I passed on an opportunity to buy Phil Painter's 1970 freshly restored HemiCuda in 1996.  

WHO???

Phil is from Las Vegas, and is the promoter of the "Mopars At The Strip" show there in 'Vegas.  He also has "created" a couple of cool supercharged cars that have been in Hot Rod magazine and a few other places.

I didn't figure everyone would know his name, but a few on this board probably do.

Here is the front & back side of the postcard he sent me about 4 months later, giving me a SECOND chance at the proverbial Gift Horse.  I torture myself every now and then by looking at this postcard.  Shoulda listened to my wife...   :rotz:

Oh, and I was one year off...  my chance to buy the car was in 1997 not '96 (not that it really matters)

41husk

Geno, I would love to help you make some real bad deals :icon_smile_cool: Maybe the vintage truck, the daytona, or maybe the Hemi charger :yesnod: ;)
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemigeno

Hopefully I've learned my lesson!  Thanks for the offer (I think...)