News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I Lost A Friend Last Night.

Started by 68ChargerJMP, August 02, 2007, 09:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ChargerJMP

I would like to take a minute to say goodbye to a dear friend I lost to Cancer last night. I first met him when I was 10 or 11 years old, riding my bike around the neighborhood my grandma lived in. I had noticed this familiar car, which this old man was meticulously waxing, like he did every weekend, in his driveway one day and decided to stop and talk to him about it. This car.... was a 68 Charger and was identical to the one my grandpa was driving, and I currently own today, right down to the passenger side mirror option. Same color, same engine/trans., same everything. Long story short, that was over 23 years ago and we have been friends ever since. As I got older, I got to ride aroud with him on his Sunday drives to keep Big Red loose. Thats what he called her. In the last couple of years, I would help do tune-ups on it, change his oil, etc...because his health had started to decline. He was a Vietnam veteran, a loving husband, father, and grandpa, and to me one of the best friends anyone could ask for. Aside from his family and friends, his 68 was what he loved the most and it showed until he passed. I'll miss you Bob.
                                                            Mike                                                                                                                                       

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on August 02, 2007, 09:10:55 PM
  I would like to take a minute to say goodbye to a dear friend I lost to Cancer last night. I first met him when I was 10 or 11 years old, riding my bike around the neighborhood my grandma lived in. I had noticed this familiar car, which this old man was meticulously waxing, like he did every weekend, in his driveway one day and decided to stop and talk to him about it. This car.... was a 68 Charger and was identical to the one my grandpa was driving, and I currently own today, right down to the passenger side mirror option. Same color, same engine/trans., same everything. Long story short, that was over 23 years ago and we have been friends ever since. As I got older, I got to ride aroud with him on his Sunday drives to keep Big Red loose. Thats what he called her. In the last couple of years, I would help do tune-ups on it, change his oil, etc...because his health had started to decline. He was a Vietnam veteran, a loving husband, father, and grandpa, and to me one of the best friends anyone could ask for. Aside from his family and friends, his 68 was what he loved the most and it showed until he passed. I'll miss you Bob.
                                                            Mike                                                                                                                                       

Yep I've seen a few people get taken down by the big C. Hopefully the car will continue to be properly cared for. although many times other members of the family swoop in like vultures to grab whatever they can, especially something as valuable as that car. They play it off as being "sentimental value" but often times it is just greed.....seen it too many times. Hopefully the car will be in good hands.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

General_01

Sorry for your loss. Remember the good times in Big Red and the weekend tune-ups and rides. Sounds like a great guy.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

TUFCAT

Very sad to hear.  :'(  Life is very tragic sometimes. 

71ChallengeHer

Very sad, my prayers are with you. :engel016:

Fitz73Chrgr

Sorry to hear, he will be in my prayers.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

4cruzin

Sorry to hear about your loss of a good friend.   :rotz:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

mikesbbody

sorry to hear about your loss  :'( but you still have the memories and that's something that can never be taken away what a great guy! your lucky to have met someoen like that  :2thumbs:

TeeWJay426

Sorry for the loss of your friend-sounds like a good guy who left you with a lot of good memories. Hopefully the car will be well taken care of, as he would have wanted. RIP, Bob. :engel016:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

69bronzeT5

He kept that car perfect! That 68 is flawless!!!! Im sorry for you loss man. :angel:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Magnumcharger

Sorry to hear of your friends' passing.
You have lots of memories...cherish them.

Cancer is just plain awful. I've known too many people who have lost their lives from it. Will it ever end?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TruckDriver

Nice story, sad end.  :'( Sorry about your loss.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1972Rallye

:'(

:engel016:

Very sorry for your loss. You can honor him by never letting his memory fade...

tomonty

Sorry for your loss. Losing a friend is extremely hard. Been 7 years on August 1st that I lost one of my best friends....prayers out to ya.

Mike
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

Skued

I'm so sorry for your lose of long time friend.  I'm always personally touched by a lose to cancer.  I lost both my parents to cancer before I was 18.  Whenever I can I donate to the American Cancer Society to hopefully find a cure.  It's not much, but hopefully it helps.  I hope you find peace with your friends passing.

Steve
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

deputycrawford

Sorry for your loss. I lost someone recently and feel for ya. Cherish the memories.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Charger_Fan

What a beautiful car, you can sure tell he took great pride in that baby. :yesnod:
Cancer is never a good way to go. My sympathies go to you & his family. :pity:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

I'm also sad to read about the loss of your buddy Bob...
I've lost five close family members to cancer in the past ten years and two more to "other causes"..

a question about the charger though,.. since they are so similar, are the Vins close to each other?..

41husk

Sorry for the loss,  I hope his family cares for the car as your friend did and would want.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

CharlieCharger

All the more reason to keep his memory alive, Keep driving it, and sorry for loss :yesnod:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

400/6/PAC

Sorry about your loss.
I think it's cool that you stayed friends for so long.
Some kids meet a cool person when they are 10 or so but by the time they turn 16 they are gone and only have friends their own age.
Good luck Man

68ChargerJMP

Thanks everyone for your sympathies. He would be honored.

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70charginglizard

Very sorry for your loss.

I've seen a loss of a lot of great mopar people over the last couple of years and My thoughts are all with them for a safe and happy journey into the after world.  :engel016:
70charginglizard