News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Everyone's buying Toyota's

Started by ACUDANUT, August 02, 2007, 11:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

What's the deal. Is the gas prices killing American Cars Sales or what.  Will Dodge be too late with the Challenger ?? Gas might be 5.00 a Gallon by then.

Brock Samson

i think everyone is buying toyotas and hondas,.. prius sales have doubled over last year's sales...

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 02, 2007, 11:11:52 AM
  What's the deal. Is the gas prices killing American Cars Sales or what.  Will Dodge be too late with the Challenger ?? Gas might be 5.00 a Gallon by then.

Reliable, good gas mileage. and they hold their resale value better than domestics. Plus a lot of people don't care where their product is made, or who owns the company anymore. I know my 92 Tercel is the best car I have ever owned for daily transportation. only costs invovled so far......purchase price, gas and oil.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

RT DAVE

You just noticed this trend?   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

aifilaw

Toyota builds all their cars here in the US, which is more than I can say for Chrysler, Ford, or Chevrolet right now....

in fact, I hear Honda is going to be moving all of their car production to the US.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Troy

Well, honestly, for a long time quality was killing sales of American cars. Recently they have been much better but the rumor mill has been in full force for a long time. THe overall idea that all Asian cars being better than American has been debunked many times but I still hear it almost every day. Toyota and Honda are the only ones clearly ahead of most American cars but they don't make a real truck or large SUV. Most of my family wouldn't consider buying a new American car.

Gas prices haven't helped but I seriously doubt many people actually do the math. For example: $8,000 premium to buy a Prius which would take most people about 7-10 years to break even at the current cost of gas. Add in the extra expenses for insurance and maintenance on a hybrid and the difference is even more pronounced.

You also can't forget style - don't you love seeing a truck grill on sedans/coupes? Ford's stylists must be on strike along with Chevy/GMC trucks and most everyone at Pontiac (I still can't get over the Aztek). Other than a truck, I don't see me getting interested in much of anything new. Honestly, if I were buying a car it would likely be a Scion Tc. I almost bought a Magnum (and still might) but it's really not "right" for me. I really like the Solstice/Sky but, again, completely useless for what I need. This aspect of buying a car is so subjective though. Many people see cars purely from a utility standpoint so the one with the best value and least amount of hassles wins.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

73dodge

I looked for a replacement for my 99 Intrepid, it had 131000 miles on the sludge motor 2.7 .

I wanted a small/mid size truck and I saw a good deal on new Dakotas at a local dealership. I did a search on some truck message boards and I found that they had a major problems with the front end shaking. When I am looking at buying, I look at the common threads themes about problems on the related discussion boards. i used to own a 91 Dakota I got brand new and it had the same problem that these guys were talking about for the newer Dakotas. 16 years and they have the same damn problem. And the worst part and the reason I was really turned away from buying a new Dakota was the dealers responses to this problem. It ranged from "It's not a problem they all do that" to "Replaced the entire front end and the truck was still shaking" I have a 2003 Caravan and I hate taking it to the dealer because I know I will get one of 2 responses, "sorry it's normal" or "yea we can replace the little plastic sensor, will cost you $8000.00"

I am sorry 16 years of manufacturing Dakotas and you have the same defect and you can't figure it out?

I looked at GMC briefly but they wanted 21k for a stripped version of the Colorado, so I found a good deal on a 2004 Toyota Tacoma with 24000 miles. That's what I bought. it has a 2.7 liter 4 cyl the same size as the V-6 in my intrepid minus 2 cyl?

I think that sums up why people buy toyotas

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

BrianShaughnessy

The only yoda's in my driveway are visitors.    I usually tell them to move them off my property.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bull

Quote from: 73dodge on August 02, 2007, 12:53:06 PM
I looked for a replacement for my 99 Intrepid, it had 131000 miles on the sludge motor 2.7 .

I wanted a small/mid size truck and I saw a good deal on new Dakotas at a local dealership. I did a search on some truck message boards and I found that they had a major problems with the front end shaking. When I am looking at buying, I look at the common threads themes about problems on the related discussion boards. i used to own a 91 Dakota I got brand new and it had the same problem that these guys were talking about for the newer Dakotas. 16 years and they have the same damn problem. And the worst part and the reason I was really turned away from buying a new Dakota was the dealers responses to this problem. It ranged from "It's not a problem they all do that" to "Replaced the entire front end and the truck was still shaking" I have a 2003 Caravan and I hate taking it to the dealer because I know I will get one of 2 responses, "sorry it's normal" or "yea we can replace the little plastic sensor, will cost you $8000.00"

I am sorry 16 years of manufacturing Dakotas and you have the same defect and you can't figure it out?

I looked at GMC briefly but they wanted 21k for a stripped version of the Colorado, so I found a good deal on a 2004 Toyota Tacoma with 24000 miles. That's what I bought. it has a 2.7 liter 4 cyl the same size as the V-6 in my intrepid minus 2 cyl?

I think that sums up why people buy toyotas

At least one cause of the front end shaking is due to piss-poor quality front brake rotors that warp easily. Turn them or replace them the no more shakey.

I've owned a 1989 Dakota and currently own a 1994 Dakota and an '03 Durango and none of them ever shook or vibrated at the front end.

NYCMille

I think the Challenger will still sell without a problem. I know right now other than the Chargers I we have a '06 Accord 4 cylinder as a daily, gets 34mpg on the highway and cost zippo to maintain... I WILL however be purchasing an Challenger when it comes out.

Honestly, with 500hp Mustangs, Vettes, Challengers and Camaros' running around it is a very exciting time to be in the car hobby.

twilt

I have one in my driveway  ;)   Prior to becoming an auto tech 10+ years ago, I would have never considered buying an import of any kind. After a few years on the job, It became quite apparent to me that the Toyotas and Hondas were more reliable and less expensive to maintain.

When it came time to buy my wife a cheap daily driver 3.5 years ago, I picked up a 93 Camry for $2200. Its been a great car. We have put 80,000 miles on it (has 240k on it now) with very minimal repair and maintenance costs. I`ve been very pleased with it and absolutely would buy another.

Charger_Fan

QuoteEveryone's buying Toyota's
I'm not. :moon:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

71bee

I'm a MoPar or no car kinda guy. I have had my '96 Ram 2500 CTD for years with NO problems whatsoever. 21 MPG and all the torque I will ever need for ANYTHING. can't say that with your Toyo's. it has 201,000k on the clock and I just barely had new hub assemblies installed ($850.00).

sorry, I just can't see myself ever switching over to the rice rockets. besides, lets see what Ceberus has in store for Chrysler. they may take the Duetsch out of MOPAR (I can only hope.)

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: 71bee on August 02, 2007, 03:54:13 PM
I'm a MoPar or no car kinda guy. I have had my '96 Ram 2500 CTD for years with NO problems whatsoever. 21 MPG and all the torque I will ever need for ANYTHING. can't say that with your Toyo's. it has 201,000k on the clock and I just barely had new hub assemblies installed ($850.00).

sorry, I just can't see myself ever switching over to the rice rockets. besides, lets see what Ceberus has in store for Chrysler. they may take the Duetsch out of MOPAR (I can only hope.)

I only paid $200 for the Tercel (Guy needed some weed I guess) and  have put almost 30,000 miles on it with the only costs being gas, oil, plates and insurance.....excluding the gas costs that is still under the $850 for just your hubs. now I know you can't compare my buggy to a truck but......

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 02, 2007, 11:13:33 AM
i think everyone is buying toyotas and hondas,.. prius sales have doubled over last year's sales...

Honda actually stopped making their Accord Hybrid because it wasn't selling. It couldn't compete with the prius.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

MichaelRW

In today's paper there's an article about the American manufacturers market share falling below 50% last month for the first time ever. 49.7% to be exact. How sad.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Mean 318

they are nice cars! fast, milage, look good, reliable, reasonable... i want a tundra

The70RT

I wouldn't say EVERYONE. I never tagged an import. When in a small car wizzing down the highway at 70+ I just don't feel comfortible with SUV's and trucks wizzing by the other way doing 70+. Maybe someday it will equal out and small cars will be the norm. Small cars don't get the mail to your house though. A small car on the highway could be your last  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Purple440

I thought size didn't matter?  :rofl:

Toyota makes a great car, quiet and smooth.  Nissan has a good lineup too...I love my maxima.  I agree with others, I couldn't name an American made car right now that I"d buy.  Sad but true.

Khyron

never buy a car with the word Toy in the name.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Khyron on August 02, 2007, 08:16:06 PM

Yeah good point..... I mean who wants things like reliability, strong resale value, good gas mileage, low maintainence costs.  I mean I should buy from the Big 3 with their stellar products, customer sevice and unmatched reliability right? Do my part to support the UAW. Yeah.........of course I should.

twilt

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on August 02, 2007, 08:26:34 PM
Yeah good point..... I mean who wants things like reliability, strong resale value, good gas mileage, low maintainence costs.  I mean I should buy from the Big 3 with their stellar products, customer sevice and unmatched reliability right? Do my part to support the UAW. Yeah.........of course I should.

:haha: :haha:

Mean 318

:rofl: :2thumbs: THANKS!

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: Mean 318 on August 02, 2007, 09:02:18 PM

:rofl: :2thumbs: THANKS!

Hey no problem, just....."doing my part"