News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what should this 512 combo make

Started by mally69, August 01, 2007, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAM

Mally I went with the same timing chain on my 512", nice piece!
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

SeattleCharger

This thread rocks man.    Thanks for making all the pics along the way Mally.   

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

mally69

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on February 29, 2008, 06:17:28 PM
This thread rocks man.    Thanks for making all the pics along the way Mally.   

Sure.  After I found out how to take them with my cell phone and send them to my email adress, it made posting pics a blast..   :icon_smile_big:

mally69

Here I have bolted on my rockers to check the piston to valve clearance thats why those light springs are in there. Also we used a pushrod length checker, so I know what to have my pushrods cut to. Which on my engine they will be 9.850...  There hasn't been much going on with this build latley, hope to have it all assembled soon.I will keep on the update....

mally69

Do I need to buy this or not... Scroll down and it is the 6th picture down.

http://www.440source.com/freezeplugs.htm   

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on March 23, 2008, 07:27:24 AM

Your T&D shafts in the pic above have plugs on the end so there's no need for those mini freezeplugs.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 23, 2008, 08:54:03 AM

Your T&D shafts in the pic above have plugs on the end so there's no need for those mini freezeplugs.

Ron

Its the one below that one, it has somthing to do with oil flow.. Check it out..

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on March 23, 2008, 08:57:45 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 23, 2008, 08:54:03 AM

Ron

Its the one below that one, it has somthing to do with oil flow.. Check it out..

Ok, that makes more sense....i couldn't figure out why you wanted new plugs on the rocker shafts.  :lol:

The top end oiling mod is usually reserved for full race type builds. The idea is to limit oil to the rockers which works ok for short bursts at the strip but it's not something i would do on a street driven motor. Oil not only lubricates but it also cools the valvetrain down....you need lots of oil up top or the valvesprings will weaken and fatigue.

On a street driven motor that will idle a lot and see traffic this is not something i would consider.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

mally69

Assembling engine.... PICS...

mally69

more........  I had to modify the oil pickup so that it was closer to the bottom of the pan, and also had to modify the windage tray which both are normal procedure..

mally69

more......   I just put the intake on just to see what it looked like, man that thing is tall and looks killer. I hope it fits under the sixpack hood I have..

mally69

And I have to hand it to these guys.   Fran is on the left, and Joe is on the right..  Fran came over to Joe's shop to help with the mock up of the girdle and help with the assembly today ... Joe has done all the machine work to the block, and owns the machine shop.

Thanks Joe & Fran ..  :2thumbs:

mally69

I still have a PILE of small things to bolt on to this engine and I also have to mask it off and paint it as you can tell...

mally69

Painted engine pics .....................

mally69

more pics.

Mfr426

Hey Mally, in that one shot it looks like the oil slinger is on backwards? I know because I just went through the same thing with my stroker 512. Luckily one of the guys here caught it before it ended up in my oil pan (in a million small parts). Here's my thread when Mick70RR noticed mine was on backwards...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,40681.0.html

Just thought I'd mention it before the motor is installed.

Mike R

Mfr426

Mally, check my post about your oil slinger on  your thread. I think it might be on backwards. The lip of the slinger should face the front of the motor (not the back as it appears in the pic).

Just trying to save you some real headaches...

Mike R iN Reading PA

mally69

Hey, good eye ill go check that tomarrow first thing.  Thanks for pointing that out. Ill check.

Mfr426

mally69

Its on there correctly. If it was backwards it will hit the timing chain. We were ok. :2thumbs:

Mfr426

SeattleCharger

:drool5:      :o        :2thumbs:

The heads and intake look huge on that block,  love those indy heads,  very cool.    :musik010:

:drive:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

mally69

Look what I done today..... :icon_smile_big:

mally69

I bought 4 cans of plasti-kote hight temp engine clear, and sprayed the hole engine including valve covers intake and valley pan I only used 1-1/4 can to cover all of it. I am hoping that it dont turn yellow like the duplicolor clear did.