News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dual Pattern Cams

Started by Purple440, August 04, 2007, 02:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple440

When designing a dual pattern cam, at what point is the difference between the intake and exhaust duration a problem?  For instance, if I called Engle and said I wanted a 220 intake and 230 exhaust would I still be helping to remove the exhaust gas or would I be over doing it?

Thoughts?

Thx,

- Doug

aifilaw

That's a really ambiguous question. The short and long answer is: "it depends on the block, rotating assembly, heads, and intake"

For example, my last 383 BB and 350 SB (chevy) builds were both meant to give a nice flat long torque curve to maximum my bandwidth, in both cases I had between 8 and 12 degree's higher exhaust duration than intake because that's what it took to make that happen.

I spoke with a guy who does LS1 cam grinds for a living, and from the dyno they've proven that to get the same result using the stock LS1 setup with or without general head porting, they keep the durations the same, and for a typical buildup (lots of ponies) the intake duration is 10 degree's higher than the exhaust and they back-cut the intake and leave the exhaust valves alone.

It really depends on the foundation, and then on where you want the engine to perform.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

idahogrumpy

I have had very good results using dual grind cams in my big block mo par street engines. I have never spec'ed out my own cam so to speak, I have always used off the shelf cams that were engineered by the cam manufacturer. When I look for a cam I take the advice given here and actually look for a dual grind shaft that will fit those specs.    Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

firefighter3931

Doug, the dual pattern cams work well with a stock head which has less than optimal intake to exhast flow ratios. When the heads are ported and you have a 70% in/ex ratio then the split pattern becomes a non issue. Basicly the cam (split pattern) is compensating for a weak exhaust port by hanging the valve open longer and allowing the engine to exhale.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs