News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 cam recomendation

Started by Bandit72, July 29, 2007, 10:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

ok, figured out the problem on my 62 truck...cam's flat on 2 lobes...so it's time for an upgrade....what do you guys thing

stock 360
edelbrock performer intake
edelbrock 600 cfm carb
stock manifolds
3.55 gears
this truck is basically gonna be a daily driver but i want a little more zip...

what do you guys think for a cam and/or stall converter
this is my only small block, all my others are big blocks and not daily drivers

Thanks Ryan Olson
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Bandit72

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

deputycrawford

Bandit, I really wish you would drop that lousy Performer intake and go with a Performer RPM intake. Then call Engle Cam company and tell them what you got. They will send you the perfect cam. Go with a company that specializes in what you need. Wait for Firefighter, Chryco and others to answer. Then film some burnies.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Purple440

As Chryco says, an M1 Dual Plane will perform better than an Eddy Performer.  If your going to do the cam suggested above you won't need an RPM.

I agree with deputy wait for those two guys to chime in...but I also agree with Plumcrazy's cam choice.  What cam profile is in there now?

Good luck,

firefighter3931

Ryan, nobody has bothered to mention this yet but that engine needs to be torn down and inspected. When you lose a cam lobe or two the engine is filled with metal and that material finds it's way into the bearings, oil pump and cylinders. Simply dropping in a new cam is a recipe for more heartache, inmo. Basicly, the engine should be rebuilt.  :P

As for the cam, the Lunati VooDoo grind you picked out is a little on the large side for a heavy vehicle with stock manifold exhaust and stock stall converter. The cam that Plum picked out would work with the existing combination of parts.....the duration is in the ballpark. A smaller Voodoo grind or an Engle cam would also work. You just have to size it accordingly to the rest of the build. Generally, cam profiles with 112* LSA work better with restrictive exhaust systems. The Smaller Voodoo grinds are designed for this type of build and would work well with all your existing parts.  :yesnod: The key is to pick a cam that will make lots of bottom end power (torque) to get the truck moving quick off idle....it will be more fun to drive than a high winding screamer.

First thing to do is pull the engine and disassemble it to see what kind of damage the wiped cam has caused. An aquaintance went through this recently....wiped the cam on breakin and swapped in a new one and lost it as well. Engine is apart for a rebuild and he's on cam #3.  :-\

Some relevant information on the potential cause of the cam failure :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31561.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bandit72

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 31, 2007, 12:46:40 AM
Ryan, nobody has bothered to mention this yet but that engine needs to be torn down and inspected. When you lose a cam lobe or two the engine is filled with metal and that material finds it's way into the bearings, oil pump and cylinders. Simply dropping in a new cam is a recipe for more heartache, inmo. Basicly, the engine should be rebuilt.  :P

As for the cam, the Lunati VooDoo grind you picked out is a little on the large side for a heavy vehicle with stock manifold exhaust and stock stall converter. The cam that Plum picked out would work with the existing combination of parts.....the duration is in the ballpark. A smaller Voodoo grind or an Engle cam would also work. You just have to size it accordingly to the rest of the build. Generally, cam profiles with 112* LSA work better with restrictive exhaust systems. The Smaller Voodoo grinds are designed for this type of build and would work well with all your existing parts.  :yesnod: The key is to pick a cam that will make lots of bottom end power (torque) to get the truck moving quick off idle....it will be more fun to drive than a high winding screamer.

First thing to do is pull the engine and disassemble it to see what kind of damage the wiped cam has caused. An aquaintance went through this recently....wiped the cam on breakin and swapped in a new one and lost it as well. Engine is apart for a rebuild and he's on cam #3.  :-\

Some relevant information on the potential cause of the cam failure :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31561.0.html

Ron

Thanks Ron i always appriciate your input on things...i know i didn't mention it in this thread, but i am planning on pulling the motor  and going through it completely....i'll probably end up with the lunati 60401 stick.

The engine isn't really going to be in anything more than a daily driver, it had the stock 78 360 cam in it..and it had no problem making that truck "get with the program" lol i will most likely locate a dual plain intake for it as well

Thanks Guys

firefighter3931

Quote from: Bandit72 on July 31, 2007, 02:19:26 AM

i know i didn't mention it in this thread, but i am planning on pulling the motor  and going through it completely....i'll probably end up with the lunati 60401 stick.

The engine isn't really going to be in anything more than a daily driver, it had the stock 78 360 cam in it..and it had no problem making that truck "get with the program" lol i will most likely locate a dual plain intake for it as well

Thanks Guys

Good call on both counts....the engine really needs a good going through to be safe.  :2thumbs:

The Performer is fine for that application....i wouldn't be looking to replace it.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bandit72

so i basically had a really nice dual plane intake "dropped in my lap" today....which one should i use? The dual plane looks about 110% better than my other one so i would much rather use it...

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Bandit72 on August 01, 2007, 02:24:29 AM
so i basically had a really nice dual plane intake "dropped in my lap" today....which one should i use? The dual plane looks about 110% better than my other one so i would much rather use it...

Which model intake is it?

Bandit72

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Bandit72 on August 01, 2007, 12:39:29 PM
Performer RPM

On a 360 I'd go with that manifold.  On a 318 with smaller valves and ports, the Performer would be the better choice.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Plumcrazy on August 01, 2007, 01:45:01 PM
Quote from: Bandit72 on August 01, 2007, 12:39:29 PM
Performer RPM

On a 360 I'd go with that manifold.  On a 318 with smaller valves and ports, the Performer would be the better choice.

:iagree: The RPM is tough to beat

Ron