News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How is this done

Started by lee, August 02, 2007, 04:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee

I want to pull the gears out of my rear end how do i take the axles out it is a 8 3/4 rear end and all i know is that i have to unbolt the drive shaft and take the tires off that what thou how do the axles come out and after that i know to unbolt the pumpkin and it should pull out what do i need to know inbetween thanks Lee

70charger_boy

You remove the 4 u bolts from under the springs.  Disconnect the rear brake lines and ebrake cable, Disconnect ujoint at the driveshaft.  Make sure u plug the ujoint (it will leak fluid).  Support the car on jack stands. I know I'm missing something, but it is relatively common sense.  Just make sure the car is properly on jack stands

lee

not the whole axle just what to changne gears in the rear you have to take the u bolts off to just pull the splines in the axle out??

70charger_boy

Oh, well in that case.  You take off the back wheels, take off the drum and right behind the wheel studs are 2 bolts (maybe 3 i can't remember) remove them.  Then you can use an axle puller to slide the axle out or you can do what I did and bang it out with a hammer and chissel.  You only need to pull the axle a few inches.  After you pull both axles you drop the driveshaft and remove center section

lee

It it hard to get them to come all the way out to look at them to see if they are worth putting back in and an axle puller is the the same as a gear puller  :shruggy: please share i never done this before

Charger1973

There are 5 studs with nuts located on the axle (coming through the brake backing plate) that have to be removed.  Mine had never been opened up and they slid right out, nice and easy.  I would not recommend a chisel because that surface needs to be smooth enough to seal when you put it back together. 

Jack up the rear of the car, take off the wheels, unbolt and remove the driveshaft, unbolt the axles and slide them part way out (all the way if you feel like it), unbolt the center section and remove it...  and thats it. 

Heres a pic of mine when I had it apart...

aifilaw

wow..... interesting....

I used to have a whole website with how-to's.....but since it was free, it was eventually taken down, otherwise I would have pictures, so here it is from memory.

To pull the axles out, pop off the wheels (5 lugs), pull the drum (fingers), unscrew 5 more nuts on the interior of the hub housing, they are in the same location, just behind the lug bolts. One of them had a hold-down plate or something attached to it... just pay attention to how you took it off so you can get it back on, but it is very simple. Lastly, grasp the axle and pull it out, the end.

Then disconnect the rear U-joint, push the driveshaft into the transmission 1/2" and slide the end you just took out off to the side. Unbolt the rest of the bolts on the case and it should pull away from the main housing with relative ease, maybe a little effort.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads