News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tires Tires and more Tires, nothing but questions.....

Started by Hot_Rodder, July 29, 2007, 09:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Rodder

I've been trying to think of what tire to go to. My '69 Charger R/T had the BFGoodrich Radial T/A's on it, did pretty good on traction, except in wet weather, then it got fun. Anyway, these are gonna be on my '72 Charger. The rear tire size that I'm planning on going to is the 295/50.... Wheel size is, however, undertermined due to the lack of pic's that I can find of other Chargers with different wheel designs and sizes.... Tried to find a website that has a mockup of a 3rd gen Charger, where you can see different wheel combinations, but can't find any of those sites.... But anyway, the first tire up for comments is this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+S%2FT&partnum=95TR5STOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=3#Survey

I'm gonna try and post links so you can see the tires, and read customer reviews and such on them, and hopefully you might have some experience with them? Thanks in advanced.

Hot_Rodder

I know it's an old post, but :shruggy: I had to show this. ::). I finaly heard back from The Tire Rack, and this is what I have gotten back:

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not carry any verified trouble free/rub free wheel fitments for your 1972 Charger, and as you know, we do have some fitments for the 1973, however, there has to be something different in the specifications or we would have them listed for the 1972 model as well. As far as the 1973 fitments, we don't have anything wider than 7 inch in width.

As far as the tires go, B.F. Goodrich is the only company that makes a rear tire for your vehicle and the only matched front/rear tire combination they offer is as follows:

Qty    Item Number            Description/Comment                 Price
      2  295SR6RADTA2          P295/50R16 BF RA TA              $126.00 Ea.
      2  36SR5RADTARWL2      P235/60R15 BF RA TA RWL        $ 82.00 Ea.

ShipTo Zip» / Ship Whse.» SB

Mds Total $416.00 plus shipping.

This doesn't, obviously, include wheels.... Looks like I need to get in touch with "some people" that I've talked with in the past.... ouch.

Goldfinger71

A 275 60 15 is the standard aftermarket rear tire size on ALOT of Mopars and they look great!You can find them for under $100 a piece and they are RWL. :yesnod:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Hot_Rodder

I'm wondering how well will a 275 60 15 hold up to the possible projected power #'s that I will probably be turning, versus the 295/50? Being the 295/50 is a bigger tire, mostly wider is what I'm getting at, should be able to plant the power a little better, of course, it probably want be able to handle all of it :METAL:

70charger_boy

Here, I'll sell you these.  300 bucks plus shipping

Steve P.

With tires it's always a give and take.  I take it you are not racing this car or you would be going to drag radials or slicks. That being said, I'll guess that you drive this car on a fairly regular basis. Getting caught in the rain is just part of life. 

To get the look of a wide tire you give up rainy weather grip. Some are better than others, but the best tire type for wet/slippery or snow is a skinny tire with deep rain channels. The other end of the spectrum is putting plenty of power to the pavement. This requires as much rubber on the pavement as needed for your range of power. You can have more tire than the power of your car needs. This just means you have more weight to get moving and carry around. Not to mention stopping.

Think about a snow shoe. If you step into a foot of snow with just your shoes you will sink to the hard pack or the ground. Put on a snow shoe and take the same step. Now you are on top of the snow. This would be like having a wide tire on your car. In the rain you must be able to get the runner firmly on the road. If the tire is extra wide you will still have some water between the tire and the road. With a skinny tire you are distributing all the cars weight on a small patch of tread allowing it to squeeze out the water and grip the road.

NOW, as all of us have to do at this point is figure out what we are willing to give up. The look and dry weather traction or are we going to try to stay off the road when it's raining? Or at least slow way the hell down when caught in the rain.... 

I like the look of all the tire that will fit inside the well myself.   My .02.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Hot_Rodder

Steve, this car want be a "daily driver" or anything close to it. But it will be on the street. I don't really plan on driving the car during the rain, but sometimes, stuff happens ::). I need to put the power to the road because like I've said somewhere at some time on some post... The hopefuly power out put of this engine will need to get to the road, and I needa good enough kind of power out put for the street to where I'm not gonna get "left behind" by a number of vehichles out there, but I don't expect to outrun anything on the road, otherwise, I'd build the Duster.... :smilielol:.  But, this is a Charger, Chargers, mostly being some kind of muscle car, and this one with a big block, they have reputations, and I want it to be able to uphold it's reputation. :cheers:. As for snow, what's that? Down here in south Georgia, the last time we even saw any snow was some years back, like 5 maybe 6 years ago, and the last time the snow actualy hung around for more than a couple hours was... Good question. So snow travel isn't a worry :icon_smile_big:. But on the other hand, when it does get cold enough, and if it rains prior to, things will ice up..... The Charger will not be in any of this. To many drivers down here who probably can't drive on the ice, and I'm not gonna take the chance of getting the Charger hit b/c someone can't drive on a little ice. I've driven on it down here before with that '69 with 440, that was fun :D.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Goldfinger71 on August 29, 2007, 03:40:56 PM
A 275 60 15 is the standard aftermarket rear tire size on ALOT of Mopars and they look great!You can find them for under $100 a piece and they are RWL. :yesnod:
I would love to get that size, but never have seen them down here.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Steve P.

Well if you are putting out allot of torque you will need some drag radials at least.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Mike DC

Hard-compound economy/mileage tires can be a lot of fun.  They're easy to spin, long-lasting when abused, and cheap to replace.

In wet weather, I think keeping tall tread blocks is as important as anything.  I'd feel safer with a fresh new regular tire than with a great all-weather tire that's mostly bald. 

dkn1997

I run 295/50/16's on the back of my 68.  I run them on an 8" wheel, but technically, you are supposed to run that size on 9 or 10 inch wheels.  looks fine, though and no issues. 
RECHRGED

Hot_Rodder

I'm thinking of maybe a 16x9 on the back, but am having quite the time trying to find this wheel in a pattern that I like :rotz:

pettybird

I have two pairs of the yoko avid S/T's on cars here--one on a superbird, one on a 2wd ranger that sees winter use.  they're not great in the snow but they handle rain REALLY well.  i am no drag racer and i've ripped off 2.0 60ft times in the 'bird with 3.23's, so they do hook in the proper hands.  i like them so much i have another set waiting to go on to my other 'bird in the spring.  if you're looking for a street tire, they're really nice all around, especially on trips.  they're very quiet. 

they do hellacious burnouts on brice, too ;)

Hot_Rodder

they do hellacious burnouts on brice, too  ;)

LOL, I'll check 'em out