News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lookie what I found (Unmolested 71 R/T)!!!

Started by 72Rallye440, July 28, 2007, 11:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldfinger71

1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

72Rallye440

I wanted to keep everyone posted on whats going on. I'm in Chicago this week on business and won't be back in Cincinnati until Friday. I plan on trying to get the car Friday or Saturday at the latest. It's going to be a job just getting the car on a trailer. The upper control arms are currently off the car so it will take some wrenchin before I can bring it home! :eek2:

72Rallye440

Well, I picked up the R/T today and man am I tired! The car had not been moved from the spot it was in since mid 80' and the car hasn't been on the road since 1980. Both upper control arms were off and buried in the mud. Needless to say it was a lot of work to get it on the trailer safely.

Here is the content of the fender tag if someone wants to decode it before I do:

19196 101312 444 043

V1X U  C16    N96
CB5 D5X9 TX9  812 021036

E86 D32  WS23 U1A  XXXXXX

72Rallye440

Very complete N96 hood but very rusty..............................

72Rallye440

The car is very complete and has a nice rear vallance with cut outs....................

72Rallye440

Factory non A/C car with tac in the dash......................

72Rallye440

Here is the last set of pictures for now. The car came with numbers matching 440 (verified) and the block was stored under the deck in the back yard. He said the tranny is also from the original motor but I haven't verified, its still in the truck. I also have a bunch of other parts including the floor console.

Anyone interested needs to realize the car is a project and has rust as you can see. I was relieved that the underside of the car is in pretty good shape (frame rails, torque boxes, etc) and no major rust issue. If I didn't have my own R/T project I would have no problem trying to restore the car. Eventhough the car is a real N96 I already have a N96 Rallye and the louverd hood on my 71 R/T is very cool.

Thanks,
   72Rallye440  (Dewey)

Charger_Fan

That car already looks much happier. Even being on a trailer, headed somewhere...ANYWHERE! :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger1973

Was the hood even bolted on?  Its a wonder it didnt grow legs. 

72Rallye440

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 04, 2007, 08:56:51 PM
Was the hood even bolted on?  Its a wonder it didn't grow legs. 

I was wondering the exact same thing myself. The car sat 20 feet from the main road and the hood hasn't been bolted on in some time. The springs are in the trunk and the hinges are attached to the car but not the hood!

72Rallye440

Here's another interesting story about the car. The guy who I bought the car from knows of the original owner. He told me the car was bought brand new for the purpose of hauling a Willy's drag car. The R/T has the trailer hitch welded to the frame. I've heard of cars being used for this purpose but never seen one until today.

Man I would love to have a picture of that rig from back in the day!

Mo Power

Hey so where are you located 72 Rallye440 with that nice 71 R/T, aren't you in Illnois?
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

TheAutoArchaeologist

Good old IL... If he does, where in IL do you live?  I'm up here in DeKalb area, quite a few good finds up here.  Found a blue 70 R/T the other day...

Ryan

72Rallye440

I'm in Cincinnati and found the car in the suburbs; usually not much here in the way of old cars anymore.

41husk

It seems like there are many diamonds in the rough found in the least likley places!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

jasonfromIKILLYA

wow!  that needs a lot of work!  totally worth it though!  I'm glad you saved it!
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

The70RT

Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on August 05, 2007, 10:28:40 AM
wow!  that needs a lot of work!  totally worth it though!  I'm glad you saved it!

:-\
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

runninhorn

Quote from: 72Rallye440 on July 29, 2007, 11:25:26 AM
Thanks for all the great comments. I've never found a more complete car let alone an R/T Charger! As most of you know I have a 72 Rallye and a 71 R/T thats a week away from taking a trip to the body shop. It funny that something like this comes along after I've spent 2 years collecting almost impossible to find parts for my own R/T (doors, louvered hood, etc). I will be honest and say that this car couldn't have came at a better time. I need the extra money for the R/T's body work so I won't be keeping the car.

If someone on the board is sincerely interested in the car I'll be interested in talking to you. Please keep in mind that it's an 71 R/T and the guy isn't giving it away. He's aware of what he has but I still consider the price fair (less than $10,000 and more than $8,000). The car has a lot of unfortunate rust and will require a lot of work but it is complete. The air box is under the Ram Charger hood but the hood is rusty on the under side. Its doesn't appear to have ever been taken apart so there is a good chance that the build sheet is present.

By the way, the car has a complete 440 in it but not numbers matching. The seller told me he has the original motor (#'s matching and tranny) is in his basement.

Thanks,
     Dewey

Dewey, you up for selling any of the chargers you own?

72Rallye440

Quote from: runninhorn on August 05, 2007, 12:03:17 PM
Thanks for all the great comments. I've never found a more complete car let alone an R/T Charger! As most of you know I have a 72 Rallye and a 71 R/T thats a week away from taking a trip to the body shop. It funny that something like this comes along after I've spent 2 years collecting almost impossible to find parts for my own R/T (doors, louvered hood, etc). I will be honest and say that this car couldn't have came at a better time. I need the extra money for the R/T's body work so I won't be keeping the car.

If someone on the board is sincerely interested in the car I'll be interested in talking to you. Please keep in mind that it's an 71 R/T and the guy isn't giving it away. He's aware of what he has but I still consider the price fair (less than $10,000 and more than $8,000). The car has a lot of unfortunate rust and will require a lot of work but it is complete. The air box is under the Ram Charger hood but the hood is rusty on the under side. Its doesn't appear to have ever been taken apart so there is a good chance that the build sheet is present.

By the way, the car has a complete 440 in it but not numbers matching. The seller told me he has the original motor (#'s matching and tranny) is in his basement.

Thanks,
     Dewey

The 71 R/T on the trailer is for sale. The 72 Rallye and the 71 R/T (in the garage) isn't for sale but never say never!

Dewey

runninhorn

Quote from: 72Rallye440 on August 05, 2007, 07:10:03 PM
Quote from: runninhorn on August 05, 2007, 12:03:17 PM

Thanks,
     Dewey

The 71 R/T on the trailer is for sale. The 72 Rallye and the 71 R/T (in the garage) isn't for sale but never say never!

Dewey

give me a quote for the rallye please.

uthustler@yahoo.com

Mo Power

72 Rallye you should get some more pictures of that nice R/T project I'd like to see more. And hey I've heard of a guy who had a R/T with hideaway wipers and that was a very low option. Also the guy I'm talking about was an original owner and he ordered every option available for an 71 R/T which is kinda weird. So you paid 8,000 I take it since thats what has been typed alot on this post.
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

72Rallye440

Quote from: Mo Power on August 06, 2007, 12:07:22 AM
72 Rallye you should get some more pictures of that nice R/T project I'd like to see more. And hey I've heard of a guy who had a R/T with hideaway wipers and that was a very low option. Also the guy I'm talking about was an original owner and he ordered every option available for an 71 R/T which is kinda weird. So you paid 8,000 I take it since thats what has been typed alot on this post.

I will take some additional pictures after I clean it up a bit. I'm not taking it to the car wash or anything just trying to clean some of the crap out of it; $8,000 is in the general area.

1972Rallye

Quote from: Mo Power on August 06, 2007, 12:07:22 AM
... And hey I've heard of a guy who had a R/T with hideaway wipers and that was a very low option...

Yep... only 47ish made with the J24 Headlamp Washer...

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722