News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Flying Wing

Started by Lowprofile, July 28, 2007, 05:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowprofile

Blended Wing Body Plane Takes Successful Test Flight
Friday, July 27, 2007

AP

The X-48B Blended Wing Body aircraft
EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. —  An experimental jet that resembles a flying wing successfully flew for the first time in a program that could lead to more fuel-efficient, quieter and higher-capacity aircraft, NASA said Thursday.

The remotely controlled, 500-pound, three-engine jet with a 21-foot wingspan took off July 20, climbed to an altitude of 7,500 feet and landed about a half-hour later, NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center said.

The X-48B Blended Wing Body aircraft was controlled by a pilot at a ground station. NASA and Boeing said data from the flight are already being compared with data from wind tunnel tests.

The aircraft and a duplicate were designed by Boeing Co.'s Phantom Works in cooperation with NASA and the Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. Built by Cranfield Aerospace Ltd. in Bedford, England, they are 8.5 percent-scale versions of a future full-size design.

The X-48B resembles a flying wing, but the wing blends into a wide, flat and tailless fuselage, NASA and Boeing said.

The design is intended to provide more lift with less drag compared with the cylindrical fuselage of a traditional aircraft, reducing fuel consumption while cruising.

The engines are located high on the back of the aircraft, which should mean it is quieter inside and less noise reaches the ground during flights.

The planes are initially flying at low speeds to gather information about the stability and flight-control characteristics of the design, particularly during takeoff and landing.

Another X-48B used for wind tunnel testing is available as a backup for flight tests.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

dkn1997

How is this really new, though?  they flew a jet powered wing in the 40's and dredged it up again for the current stealth fighter and bomber that we currently have
RECHRGED

Charger_Fan

:iagree: It looks like a more refined version of the same 'ol thing. Looks kinda cool though, I suppose.

I wonder what the long pointy things are, forward of the wings?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

instermentation tubes.

it says a 21 foot wing span so those windows must be painted on cause the scale is off,.. or sumpthin..  :shruggy:

i bet the location of the engines mask the signatures well too..  :scratchchin:

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dkn1997

I almost forgot!!  maybe the new thing about this wing is that the NASA pilots can have an easier time flying it when they are hammered?
RECHRGED

Troy

Quote from: dkn1997 on July 28, 2007, 10:43:42 AM
How is this really new, though?  they flew a jet powered wing in the 40's and dredged it up again for the current stealth fighter and bomber that we currently have
This is a "blended wing body". The F-117 and B-2 are not true flying wings either (the F-117 even has a tail). The hybrid design and idea of storing everything internally (engines, payload, wheels, etc.) of these two planes are primarily for stealth purposes. One of the best benefits of a flying wing is efficiency but it is also very unstable - the reason why the had problems way back in the old days. Transport planes need to be efficient - not invisible or incredibly maneuverable - and the engines can be outside to free up internal cargo space. I'm not sure why they mention a quieter cabin because the marketing studies in the past show that people aren't too fond of the seating arrangement (side-by-side with few windows).

This page explains the concept better than I can: http://oea.larc.nasa.gov/PAIS/BWB.html

More info:
"The BWB concept reportedly offers greater structural, aerodynamic and operating efficiencies than today's more conventional tube-and-wing designs. Its modular design also allows for center body growth while maintaining common wings. These features translate into greater range, fuel economy, reliability and life cycle savings, as well as lower manufacturing costs. They also allow for a wide variety of potential military and commercial applications."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-48

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70charger_boy

Quote from: Troy on July 28, 2007, 01:50:19 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on July 28, 2007, 10:43:42 AM
This is a "blended wing body". The F-117 and B-2 are not true flying wings either (the F-117 even has a tail). The hybrid design and idea of storing everything internally (engines, payload, wheels, etc.) of these two planes are primarily for stealth purposes. One of the best benefits of a flying wing is efficiency but it is also very unstable - the reason why the had problems way back in the old days. Transport planes need to be efficient - not invisible or incredibly maneuverable - and the engines can be outside to free up internal cargo space. I'm not sure why they mention a quieter cabin because the marketing studies in the past show that people aren't too fond of the seating arrangement (side-by-side with few windows).

This page explains the concept better than I can: http://oea.larc.nasa.gov/PAIS/BWB.html

More info:
"The BWB concept reportedly offers greater structural, aerodynamic and operating efficiencies than today's more conventional tube-and-wing designs. Its modular design also allows for center body growth while maintaining common wings. These features translate into greater range, fuel economy, reliability and life cycle savings, as well as lower manufacturing costs. They also allow for a wide variety of potential military and commercial applications."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-48

Troy

Yeah, what he said :icon_smile_big:

Khyron

I think it looks like poop.... when will be get another cool looking plane like the F-117. That has looks and style! :2thumbs:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.