News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To sell or not to sell? an INDECENT PROPOSAL

Started by Pistolpete, July 27, 2007, 07:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistolpete

Hi Gang,

Those of you who have followed my restoration know the time and effort that went into it - my 69 R/T 440 4spd., was brought up from AZ and is at the final strokes of a full rotisserie restoration.
I have just been given an "indecent proposal" and just when I thought "I would never sell her"

Bottom line - I put my heart and soul (as well as the majority of my savings) into this car, finished her the way I wanted not the way she came rolling off the line or the way "others" thought she should be done - 6 pack, pistol grip, Hi-po engine blah blah blah

A collector out in western canada decided he needs my Claudia to add to his collection, without giving you the exact number he offered me more than the recent appraisal (Which even I thought was high) and much more than I have into it.

Question is...................deal or no deal? anyone else been faced with this?

I have avoided posting pics lately because I wanted to get the WOW factor when I posted pics of her done...........I will post some pics soon!

comments please???
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

moparguy01

I'd figure out how much I have into my current car, and how much it would take to build another car just like i want it. If i can make it worth my time to sell it and start over ( i figure a good 30% over what i have in it) then i'd sell it. but i'm one of those odd guys that enjoys building cars more than driving them.

TruckDriver

I would keep it to not regret selling it later. Unless this guy is offering you a unbelievable amount of cash.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikesbbody

this one i simple, if you dont need the money keep her!

charger490

TELL THE GUY TO CONTACT ME AND I WILL SELL HIM TWO OR THREE

69_500

Personally I'd find it hard to sell my car. That is just me though. The only way that I'd even consider it is if I could sell the one I have, and actually get the one that I want. So unless there was a sure fire way to do both deals on selling mine, and getting what I want all within say a day or two then NO I wouldn't sell.

69bronzeT5

Id never sell my car. Well, if some guy offered 1 million dollars for it than yea sure, Id sell it but anything under...no way ;D :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_wink:

moparguy01

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on July 27, 2007, 08:07:59 PM
Id never sell my car. Well, if some guy offered 1 million dollars for it than yea sure, Id sell it but anything under...no way ;D :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_wink:

everybody says that, but if somebody comes up to you with 100 grand cash money talks. and no matter what you say i doubt you'd turn that much down.

DodgeChargerNeeded

Well sure sounds like a good amount of money. Its only a car
Jeff

69_500

I think that bronze would sell his car for a good roll of film, that can be developed at a local drug store. It would be a fair trade.

:smilielol:

472 R/T SE

Everything's for sale is something I hear from time to time. (for the right price)
I would and only sell something if I have a bead on something better to replace it.

Do you like the thrill in restoring them more than owning and driving?  I know some folks that are like that.  Nothing wrong with it, just a different kind of satisfaction.

The market's soft right now.  Will you be able to get the same money say 6, 12 months from now if you decide to sell later?  Nobody knows for sure.

69DodgeCharger

I wouldn't sell. If he is a collector than surely he can find something that will fill his needs elsewhere. Or afford to have one built to his specifications. When do we get to see some pictures of that Charger anyways?
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Old Moparz

If it's the car you always wanted to have & you aren't desparate for cash, I'd say keep it or you might regret it. A lot of money might be hard to turn down, especially if it's more than what you thought the car was worth, but to a lot of people it's not always about the money. Here's a simple way I gauge the value of certain things, or whether I sell or keep something.

Will the sale of whatever item, change or improve your lifestyle, or your quality of life?

Not very scientific, but it works for me.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 69_500 on July 27, 2007, 08:38:41 PM
I think that bronze would sell his car for a good roll of film, that can be developed at a local drug store. It would be a fair trade.

what :icon_smile_question:

Charger1973

Its really up to you...  Heres how I look at mine, I have got enough time, money, and work into it already...  and im so close to having it on the road, that I dont think I could sell it.  It took alot to get it this far and I intend to keep it.  Its not about money to me, its about finally having the car ive always wanted. 

sixpack70

I put one of my cars up for sale in 2003. I couldn't sleep for 4 days and finally pulled it from the market. Glad I did. Your car sounds pretty cool, I'd rather keep it myself and drive the piss out of it.
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

Fitz73Chrgr

Don't sell it, you'll regret it.  It's exactly the way you want it and if you don't need money, why even consider it?  I don't know, I couldn't do it. 

EDIT:  I just looked at the pics of your car.  DO NOT SELL IT!!!  That car is absolutely gorgeous!!!  I can see why a collector would want it, its one of the best looking Chargers I've seen!   
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

twenty mike mike

Drive it a few hundred miles before you make the decision, even if you lose this particular potential buyer (there will be others). You might find that it's not everything you thought it would be...then again, you might absolutely love it. You'll never know if you sell it now and you'll always regret it.

69bronzeT5

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: 69_500 on July 27, 2007, 08:38:41 PM

I promised Troy I would not respond to "his" posts but I sure can respond to yours! Hardy F-ing har!!!!  :nana:   :D   :smilielol:   :fu:
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Chris G.

Quote from: Pistolpete on July 27, 2007, 07:13:07 PM
Question is...................deal or no deal? anyone else been faced with this?

How can anyone truly give their opinion without some sort of dollar figure you have been offered? If you are talking 70K for an offer, than I would say jump at it. Give us some dollar figures and pics, and the opinions will start to become real.  :Twocents:

finished her the way I wanted not the way she came rolling off the line or the way "others" thought she should be done - 6 pack, pistol grip, Hi-po engine blah blah blah

Ahhh, another pat on the back for the greatest car ever built....1970 Charger.  :yesnod: ;D

firefighter3931

Some things aren't for sale....at any  price.  :icon_smile_big:

You've been working on this car for what, 2 years or so ? I'm in the same boat only longer build time....the pay as you go plan.  :P While mine was in at the paint booth a similar offer was tendered and my paint guy laughed at him.....told the guy that I (me) was crazier than he (potential buyer) was.  :icon_smile_big: This guy was very persistant and asked no less than 5 times for my phone number.

The point being is that this is MY car, I  built it and i'm  gonna enjoy it. I think (actually i know) you'll regret selling it after all the work that's gone into that beautiful ride. I can just picture you and your boy attending car shows cruising around in a bad ass Charger....those are memories that you will not be able to replace.  :yesnod:

My very first car was a 68 Charger and i've allways regretted selling it the most. My second Charger was a 69 and i regretted letting that one go too. I have 2 Chargers now and i don't plan on selling either of them, ever. These are special machines, and you are a member of an elite club....do you really want to cancel your membership.  :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

The70RT

If you haven't had it a long time it probably dont have any sentimental value and is just a car to you. I have had mine so long it is like a part of the family to me. Unless you have a few more laying around.....Like Chris G says - we don't have a clue what you have invested or what the offer is so  :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BrianShaughnessy

I get dumb offers all the time...  Just Say No.     That guy might seem sincere but I'm sure your car (if sold) would be on the next big B-J auction list.   The $ is only part of the value...  yours (or my) blood and sweat can't be measured.

ps....   I hope you used a proper 69.5 aluminum manifold!     No sense adding 40ish extra pounds of heavy 70 cast manifold  :icon_smile_big:              Hi Chris  :cheers:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.