News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Simpsons Movie

Started by Ponch ®, July 27, 2007, 01:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

I went to a 12:05 show last night. Not because I'm one of those people that obsess so much over a movie that they camp outside (with tables, chairs, you name it) the theater all day and show up wearing "theme" outfits, but because I had nothing better to do and sounded like a fun spontaneous thing to do. I did get a kick of the geeks that were eating pink sprinkled donuts and drinking BuzzCola while they played Monopoly.

But I digress. It's not a bad movie - it just doesn't live up to the hype. It has some really funny moments and jokes (mostly stuff that they could never get away with in the TV show). Aside from that or the Big Movie Budget quality of the animation, there's nothing that memorable or special about it. The story isn't that great either and doesn't really go anywhere - you get the feeling that it's only there to serve as a set-up for the funny scenes and jokes. If wanted to be really nitpicky, I'd say that the ending leaves a lot of loose ends too...but it is a comedy after all. I came out of the theater thinking that this could be the funniest Simpsons episode ever - if they cut an hour from it.

As always, that's just my opinion and I could be wrong....
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 27, 2007, 01:24:33 PM
I went to a 12:05 show last night. Not because I'm one of those people that obsess so much over a movie that they camp outside (with tables, chairs, you name it) the theater all day and show up wearing "theme" outfits, but because I had nothing better to do and sounded like a fun spontaneous thing to do. I did get a kick of the geeks that were eating pink sprinkled donuts and drinking BuzzCola while they played Monopoly.

But I digress.

Sounds like retroactive defensiveness on the part of a closet movie geek to me.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on July 27, 2007, 01:50:06 PM

But I digress.

Sounds like retroactive defensiveness on the part of a closet movie geek to me.

heh...I showed up like an hour before the movie, got my tickets and got in line. One of the theater employees (who relish "event movies" because they get to act like big shots, even if its for one night) said that some people at the front of the line had been there since 10 am.  I'm not THAT much of a movie geek. I still haven't even seen Transformers, Die Hard, or Pirates 3 - and those were supposed to be the movies I "just couldn't wait to see".
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

70charger_boy

Did you go with vainglory???

Charger_Fan

I sorta got that feeling when I saw the previews the other day, before Transformers. Your opinion pretty much cements it...I'll just wait for the DVD, if that.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ponch ®

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on July 27, 2007, 03:01:06 PM
I'll just wait for the DVD, if that.

That's the thing...the big screen doesn't really add anything to the "experience". Unless you're one of those people that like to cheer and clap during the "20th Century Fox" logo and music intro and during the credits at the end...you're not missing much if you wait till the DVD comes out.

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 27, 2007, 03:13:05 PM

That's the thing...the big screen doesn't really add anything to the "experience". Unless you're one of those people that like to cheer and clap during the "20th Century Fox" logo and music intro and during the credits at the end...you're not missing much if you wait till the DVD comes out.

You can still cheer and clap at home I guess.

Speaking of movie geeks, I thought it was pretty funny when Star Wars 1 came out there were like 40 people camped out for two days waiting in line here at the local theater but there's seating for something like 100 people per screen. So everyone else just got in line behind the 40 geeks 10 minutes before the movie started and still got to see the first showing. Must be nice to have so much free time but why waste it on proving how much of a loser you are?

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on July 27, 2007, 03:53:17 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on July 27, 2007, 03:13:05 PM

You can still cheer and clap at home I guess.

Speaking of movie geeks, I thought it was pretty funny when Star Wars 1 came out there were like 40 people camped out for two days waiting in line here at the local theater but there's seating for something like 100 people per screen. So everyone else just got in line behind the 40 geeks 10 minutes before the movie started and still got to see the first showing. Must be nice to have so much free time but why waste it on proving how much of a loser you are?

2 days? That's nothing. People camped out for something like 2 months in front of the Chinese Theater before it opened. And for Attack of the Clones, they also did that for a couple of weeks before the movie came out - though it turned out they were camping in front of a theater that wasn't going to be showing the movie.  :hah:

bull

:hah: I remember hearing about that. :smilielol: Aside from it being good for a laugh another positive was all those people's parents being glad to get their 40-year-old children out of the basement for a few months (even though they probably had to see them on TV playing with light sabers). They've probably started a letter-writing campaign begging to Lucas to do three more movies, just to get another break.

Khyron

I'll have to go against the grain here. I just got back from the drive ins to see it and i'll tell you I laughed my ass off. It was what I went in thinking it was.

Even though the spider pig was in the commercial, I still laughed out load, Poor people in the cars next to me thought I was crazy :lol:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Charger1973

I thought about going to see it but when I drove by the theater and saw the line of people I decided to wait til next week.  Instead we rented Shooter and it was pretty good.   :2thumbs:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Khyron on July 27, 2007, 11:29:38 PM
I'll have to go against the grain here. I just got back from the drive ins to see it and i'll tell you I laughed my ass off. It was what I went in thinking it was.

Even though the spider pig was in the commercial, I still laughed out load, Poor people in the cars next to me thought I was crazy :lol:

I must reiterate...its not a bad movie and it is funny and you will laugh your ass off. But for all the hype surrounding it, it just isn't that great. You would think that they would have worked on developing the story a little bit more, rather than resorting to simply throwing a joke per second at you. Truth be told, by the time the movie was almost over, I had pretty much forgotten what the plot arc was supposed to be about.

sixpack70

I did the same thing as bull. SW episode 1 was out, and people had been camping for a few days. My friends and I said hey lets try to get in for the heck of it. We got in line and 15 minutes later we were sitting down in the theater waiting for the first showing of movie to start in Eugene. Bet those guys who waited for days felt stupid.
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

bull

Quote from: sixpack70 on July 28, 2007, 12:10:41 AM
I did the same thing as bull. SW episode 1 was out, and people had been camping for a few days. My friends and I said hey lets try to get in for the heck of it. We got in line and 15 minutes later we were sitting down in the theater waiting for the first showing of movie to start in Eugene. Bet those guys who waited for days felt stupid.

If they had the ability to feel stupid they wouldn't have camped out in front of a theater to begin with.

dkn1997

I went to a 12:05 show last night. Not because I'm one of those people that obsess so much over a movie that they camp outside (with tables, chairs, you name it) the theater all day and show up wearing "theme" outfits, but because I had nothing better to do and sounded like a fun spontaneous thing to do. I did get a kick of the geeks that were eating pink sprinkled donuts and drinking BuzzCola while they played Monopoly......

something about that makes me think of Triumph the insult dog outside the star wars movie premiere, going up to all the freaks in costume and asking things like "which button do you push for your parents to come pick you up?"  or "have you ever been with a woman that you didn't have to give your credit card number to?"  and the always appropriate "This is a great movie....for me to poop on"
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

going to watch it later, I think some parts of it should be funny enough to watch it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

When I went to the first SW movie in recent times, you actually DID have to wait for several hours to get into the first showing.  There's a lot of young people where I live, and they really will cause long lines & sold-out opening shows when it's a big "event" movie.

I was never gonna give any movie the several days that some people do, but my friends & I gave it about 2-3 hours of waiting before Star Wars.

Well . . . I take that back:  I'd "never give any movie the several days" except for a really well-made Dukes of Hazzard movie.  I'd probably go ahead & camp out for that one.
But that movie will never happen.