News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing from A/C to non-A/C on a 71 Charger....what's needed ?

Started by 71 Bee Man, November 22, 2007, 01:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

G'day guys,

the compressor on my 71 Charger 383 needs new bearings or something like that, so I'm actually thinking of taking the A/C off completely.....I hardly use it anyway.

Trouble is I think it uses a different hub for the fan, so a different size belt can work. Is that right ?

I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly what needs to be done to revert back to non-A/C.

thanks,

Peter :2thumbs:
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

71ChallengeHer

71 Bee Man

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on November 22, 2007, 02:58:05 AM
We had to change the belts and pulleys on my Chally.

Thanks for the reply,

was it just the fan pulley you had to change ? On mine, it looks like the pulley need to be longer - to go bac further toward the block so it lines up with the pulley on the alternator.

I'll try and post a picture today to show what i mean.

Peter :icon_smile_big:
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

71ChallengeHer

Non-AC pulley for the water pump to single groove. And to make it look right  they cut the outer grooves on crank pulley off using a lathe. He used set of junk yard pulleys not my original ones. I still have them. New belts also. Hope that helps.

71charger_fan

On mine ('71 383-2V) I just had to switch the water pump pulley, take off the idler, and use a different belt. It took me a long time to find the right WP pulley, but I think they're being reproduced now.