News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Goin to the Nats .............hotels in Columbus???

Started by greatwn73, July 25, 2007, 10:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatwn73

The family is going to the Nats for the first time and was wondering if anyone in the Columbus area could tell me about some of the hotels and the good and bad areas to stay in. I have booked a room at Travelodge on Zumstein but the rates are so low that something has to be wrong. Don't need to be real close to the show since we're not bringing the car (1200 miles\no AC\August).

Ghoste

Motels on Brice are long gone.  Your best bet there will be a last minute cancellation.  There may be some on Hamilton and 70 still available but a couple of them are way on the scummy side of life.  There is a large Holiday Inn there that was recently redone and it may be okay.

TripleBlackGator

I had 3 places reserved. One I let go already. I am keeping Brice Road. I still have a Knights Inn (off I-70 Hamilton Road exit) reserved and will probably cancel it but won't know until next week. I'm not sure how a person could cancel and have another SPECIFIC person take the room.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

AutoRust

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on July 26, 2007, 07:31:47 AM
I had 3 places reserved. One I let go already. I am keeping Brice Road. I still have a Knights Inn (off I-70 Hamilton Road exit) reserved and will probably cancel it but won't know until next week. I'm not sure how a person could cancel and have another SPECIFIC person take the room.

Its real difficult to cancel a room and have another person get it, unless you know the desk clerk or some other close source in the hotel.
You can usually find a room up near the airport, its about 45 mins from the track.
There is a Marriot there, not to pricey, and it has a ton of rooms.
It also has a banquet facility in there, and some years there are weddings going on there, always nice for a variety of happy drunk lady's on the loose !!!

:cheers:
Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

BMOTOXSTAR

The best bet is to try the out-skirts of Columbus.  :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

greatwn73

thanks guys , I have found several hotels with rooms around Columbus with rooms  available but when travelodge is half the price of others I was concerned. Travelodge in Canada is usually not a bad place to stay.

471_Magnum

Grove City is a bit down the road, but it becoming a popular alternative. Nice area. Rooms still available. I have several friends staying there.

I still have a Knights Inn (off I-70 Hamilton Road exit) reserved and will probably cancel it but won't know until next week.

Cancel it regardless. Take it from me and Ghoste, the Knights Inn is scummy.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

WheresMyCharger

If its the Travelodge off Brice just over the hiway..be ready for continuous burnouts until early in the AM. I would bring a sleeping bag for the room....
Have you seen my old '69 Charger??
       *XP29H9B324356*

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: 471_Magnum on July 26, 2007, 12:10:07 PM
Grove City is a bit down the road, but it becoming a popular alternative. Nice area. Rooms still available. I have several friends staying there.

I still have a Knights Inn (off I-70 Hamilton Road exit) reserved and will probably cancel it but won't know until next week.

I'm not sure what you mean by scummy but I have stayed there numerous times and never had a problem. Besides, I am only there to sleep and shower.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

471_Magnum

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on July 26, 2007, 06:30:02 PM
Quote from: 471_Magnum on July 26, 2007, 12:10:07 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by scummy but I have stayed there numerous times and never had a problem. Besides, I am only there to sleep and shower.

We stayed there the previous two years. It's gone down hill badly IMHO. Lots of creapy folks lurking around.

Two years ago it was pretty much full. Last year there was a lot of vacancies. It's apparent that I'm not the only one of the opinion there better accomodations can be had in the area.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

gtxpooch

QuoteI still have a Knights Inn (off I-70 Hamilton Road exit) reserved and will probably cancel it but won't know until next week.
That's where I'm staying, how's the traffic from there to the Nats location?

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: gtxpooch on July 28, 2007, 09:16:27 PM
QuoteI still have a Knights Inn (off I-70 Hamilton Road exit) reserved and will probably cancel it but won't know until next week.
That's where I'm staying, how's the traffic from there to the Nats location?

Traffic is pretty good if you go 70 East. Total from Knights Inn is 21 miles most of it posted 65 mph. 19 miles (East) to exit 126, then about 1.5 miles North on 37, then left on 40 for about another mile. Friday morning and late afternoon can get hectic inside the beltway. That is if your not use to 4 lanes doing 65mph PLUS! Saturday and Sunday are a piece of cake. Although traffic can come to a near stand still on 37 North. The light on 40 is controlled by police and it gets very busy there Friday and Saturday mornings. Advice? Either get there real early or wait until after 9am. 

gtxpooch

I haven't been there before, what's the Brice Road/ Heath  Cruises like? I'd like to do it but my car's not running right.

BMOTOXSTAR

I live about 2hrs away & 71 South  is your best bet. I usually get there about 6-7 a.m. Saturday morning & I have no problems with traffic or getting in.
I remember back in 97', my buddy and I got there late Thursday night & camped out. We were the first car in the spectator parking lot.  :slap:
Crazy kids. :smilielol:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Ghoste

I agree with Magnum on that particular Knights Inn.  It's clean enough and all but know what you are dealing with there.  They do a lot of hourly room rentals for local working girls and we definitely saw a couple last year.  Rumor only, but we had also heard something about it being a high risk lot for car theft.  As for NOT rumor, someone called me claiming to be from that motel and wanted my credit card info as the room had allegedly not been paid for last year.  The call came about 9 months AFTER the Nats so that was my first tipoff, the second tipoff was that I most certainly knew that my card company had in fact paid for the room.  The fact that they no longer had my card info on file was a little "ahem" suspicious too.
Sarcasm aside, the point is someone with an accent similar to the actual proprietors of that motel knew my name and that I had stayed there and my home phone number.  Obviously, they had some way of getting all the info except what they most desired from the place.

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Ghoste on July 30, 2007, 05:58:41 AM
I agree with Magnum on that particular Knights Inn.  It's clean enough and all but know what you are dealing with there.  They do a lot of hourly room rentals for local working girls and we definitely saw a couple last year.  Rumor only, but we had also heard something about it being a high risk lot for car theft.  As for NOT rumor, someone called me claiming to be from that motel and wanted my credit card info as the room had allegedly not been paid for last year.  The call came about 9 months AFTER the Nats so that was my first tipoff, the second tipoff was that I most certainly knew that my card company had in fact paid for the room.  The fact that they no longer had my card info on file was a little "ahem" suspicious too.
Sarcasm aside, the point is someone with an accent similar to the actual proprietors of that motel knew my name and that I had stayed there and my home phone number.  Obviously, they had some way of getting all the info except what they most desired from the place.

Like I said I never had any problems whatsoever when I stayed at the Knights Inn but maybe I was lucky. I am cancelling my room there this week not because of what was said but just because I no longer need it. Your comment on the place sure does sound interesting though. Especially about the working girls and hourly rates! Just because I'm not staying there doesn't mean I can't visit right?  :D

Ghoste

Not at all.  :icon_smile_big:
Btw, did you have your car there last year?  I don't remember seeing a black 70.

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Ghoste on July 30, 2007, 07:10:40 AM
Not at all.  :icon_smile_big:
Btw, did you have your car there last year?  I don't remember seeing a black 70.

No I did not. Also, I just cancelled two (2) rooms I had reserved there. If your quick (check posted time) you may get lucky. Even more so if "the girls" show up.

Ghoste

Thanks for that but I have a room on Brice and a wife at home so I won't be needing either.  :2thumbs:

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Ghoste on July 30, 2007, 10:16:18 AM
Thanks for that but I have a room on Brice and a wife at home so I won't be needing either.  :2thumbs:

"You" meaning who ever is reading that post. Not you in particular. No offense meant.

Ghoste

Sorry, I did think it was meant to me, but I didn't take offense either.  I thought we were just kidding each other around.  It's all good.

471_Magnum

Thanks for that but I have a room on Brice and a wife at home so I won't be needing either. 

What he is really saying is that his wife lurks in this forum.

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: 471_Magnum on July 30, 2007, 05:23:23 PM
Thanks for that but I have a room on Brice and a wife at home so I won't be needing either. 

What he is really saying is that his wife lurks in this forum.

A nods as good as a wink to a blind bat. Say no more. Say no more. Nudge nudge wink wink.  :D

gtxpooch

Any other suggestions?? Is there a place I can park the truck/trailer and sleep in it?

BMOTOXSTAR

I would really like to meet some of you folks at the Nationals.  :yesnod:
I am driving my 74' Satellite since it is the year of the Satellite,GTX, Belvedere, RR I believe? :scratchchin:
I am going to put a big DC.COM sign in my front window.  :D Really.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT