News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Free Firehydrant..... How Cool is This!!

Started by PocketThunder, July 24, 2007, 10:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

So I picked up a free firehydrant tonight.   :2thumbs:  I'm a History Buff and the city of St. Paul is replacing the water lines in my street and surround 6 block radius this summer.  Tonight we took the kids for a walk to my Aunts house down the block.  The city was replacing the hydrant in her front yard and we stopped and watched the backhoe for a bit.  After the workers came up out of the hole i asked one guy "so, what are you doing with that old hydrant?  how about donating it to my garage? ;)"  He said sure. :boogie:

He said his Dad has one from 1881 (old for St. Paul) from downtown, and he said this one i have was from 1911.  the year is cast in the back of the hydrant.  He even gave me some red and yellow paint to freshen it up.  and he even gave me some reflective crystals to sprinlke over the yellow before it cures. 

Anyways, some of you might think i'm nuts but i think this is pretty cool :2thumbs:  it will look good next to my tool box in the garage.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

skip68

Cool find!!! I want one!  :yesnod: I love old memorabilia.
Mrs.Skip68
;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Todd Wilson

Thats cool! I would like to find one myself!   You should put it in your backyard so your dog has something to piss on!

Todd

Lowprofile

If you have a dog, he probably thinks he just died and went to heaven!   :D :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :cheers:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

TruckDriver

Quote from: Lowprofile on July 25, 2007, 02:32:14 AM
If you have a dog, he probably thinks he just died and went to heaven!   :D :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :cheers:

I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it :smilielol: :D
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

71_deputy

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on July 25, 2007, 04:59:38 AM
Quote from: Lowprofile on July 25, 2007, 02:32:14 AM

I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it :smilielol: :D

lol   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

PocketThunder

No dogs for me.  We are pet free for the time being.  I'm getting the push from my spouse though to get a dog because "the kids love it when they see a dog"  well, they can go play with the neighbors dog then.  "but its not the same"  i said i know, i dont have to take care of it.  "but we will have a family dog, it will be a family responsibility to take care of it"  I said, ya that will work for a couple weeks and then guess who will be walking it everyday and picking up its crap with plastic grocery bags, me.  Not happening..

I'm a scrooge when it comes to getting a dog.  if we lived in the country and the dog could run all day unleashed then i would love a dog, i just dont think its fair to the dog to be tied up all day long. 

Anyways.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

That old hydrant is pretty cool.   :2thumbs:

I don't have a hydrant, but I have a 4 way traffic light from when they changed all the lights in the town where I lived. I've had it since high school, rewired it, but would like to hang it somewhere in, or outside my garage.

Hmmm, how about a thread called Chics on Hydrants?  :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

70charger_boy

Speaking of chics and Hydrants.............When I was 16 years ago I was trying to sneak out of the house at 2 in the morning to get laid.  I didn't want to wake my mom by starting the car so I put it in neutral and pushed it out of the driveway.  Well, we lived on a steep hill.  The car was rolling to fast and I didn't have enough time to jump in.  Well, it rolled down the hill and hit a fire hydrant. 

Good luck, with your hydrant :2thumbs:

Charger_Fan

That hydrant looks pretty schweet! :icon_smile_cool: I've got a stoplight & a parking meter. The parking meter needs a new lens.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

JimShine

74-StreetMachine

Watch me turn beer into pee for $5.

timmy

that cool that you got that but i agree with brian that we need to work on the 500 

69_500

You sure the date on that is 1911? Having laid water mains for about 10 years, and this is just my opinion. I'd guess  the date on the hydrant to be around the 40's to late 50's. Just by looking at the ears on the hydrants. What manufactuer is it?

I always wanted to buy one of the scrap ones my old company had laying around but never did.

bull

A fire hydrant is definitely something you buy when you aren't going to be moving again for a long time, unless you have some very patient relatives. I have a buddy who owns a rock collection and that's another thing you don't want to be hauling around to a new residence every couple years.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69_500 on July 25, 2007, 07:32:28 PM
You sure the date on that is 1911? Having laid water mains for about 10 years, and this is just my opinion. I'd guess  the date on the hydrant to be around the 40's to late 50's. Just by looking at the ears on the hydrants. What manufactuer is it?

I always wanted to buy one of the scrap ones my old company had laying around but never did.

Yep, thats what the crew told me and its cast right in the back of the hydrant.   I think he said it was a Murphy? hydrant maybe, i'm e-mailing the hydrant guy above to find out.  See the numbers cast in the 3rd picture above.

General_01

Don't ding your car on that! :icon_smile_big:

That thing is pretty neat. I need to bring your pan over. I'd bring it over this weekend but I think you are gonna be gone. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed