News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

frikkin' laser

Started by 4forty, July 25, 2007, 02:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4forty

Boeing contracted to begin developing truck-mounted mobile laser

Boeing has been working with the government on different military laser applications (the Airborne Laser is one example), and it's just been awarded another contract to begin development on a truck-mounted mobile system. The new contract for the High Energy Laser Technology Demonstrator (HEL TD), valued at approximately $7,000,000, calls for the design and development of a beam control system which will be mounted to a Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck like the one shown above. If the government exercises the options contained in this contract and has Boeing go beyond this initial phase of development, the value could rise to $50 million.

The ultimate goal is to create a mobile laser weapon effective against a variety of incoming projectiles, which is pretty awesome-sounding when you get right down to it. A tip of the cap goes to The Register, for cutting through all the acronyms and calling the project "trucks mounted with frikkin' laser beams."

Shakey

Why would they want to mount the thing on a land mine susceptible Oshkosh truck?   :scratchchin:

I'd think having it on a more durable MRAP vehicle would be the way to go.   :yesnod:

70charger_boy

wtf is boeing doing making lasers????  Leave it to the pros over at General Dynamics or Textron

bordin34

I saw those lasers on Future Weapons or something like that. It was pretty cool. Dr.Evil would be proud, "Preparation H"

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Mike DC

Do they have sharks?

dkn1997

Quote from: bordin34 on July 25, 2007, 10:21:45 PM
I saw those lasers on Future Weapons or something like that. It was pretty cool. Dr.Evil would be proud, "Preparation H"

otherwise known as the allen parsons project!!!
RECHRGED

my73charger

Cool stuff for sure.  I like that Dr Evil picture.... :smilielol: