News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mr. Jack Odell - Mr. HotWheels. R.I.P.

Started by Brock Samson, July 23, 2007, 12:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

:engel016: :patriot: :angelwing: :vert:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/world/europe/17odell.html

(courtesy autoexreamist)

Jack Odell. The engineering brains behind Matchbox, Jack Odell, died last Saturday at the age of 87. The miniature die-cast toys, which became popular with children all over the world in the 1950s and 1960s, owed much to Odell, who, even though he was untrained in the field, became a self-taught expert in die-casting and was widely regarded as a genius engineer. At its peak, Matchbox employed 6,000 people and sold 300 million cars annually, 2 million a week alone in the U.S. "In my obituary," Odell declared in 1969, "I want it said I was a damn good engineer." He certainly was.

Todd Wilson

Toyota just thinks they sell lots of cars! HAHA!

Todd

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger_Fan

I think I'll give my Matchboxes a hug today. :grouphug:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Old Moparz

Always loved Matchbox cars, & still have every single one from when I was a kid. I have most of the ones in the photo Brock posted, too.

Sad to hear about Odell.   :'(
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 23, 2007, 10:17:56 PM
Always loved Matchbox cars, & still have every single one from when I was a kid. I have most of the ones in the photo Brock posted, too.

Sad to hear about Odell.   :'(

Me too! I got 99% of my old matchbox and hot wheels. I got a few in that picture myself. What I liked about Matchbox was they did some different things compared to Hotwheels. As a kid I enjoyed more common and construction type cars and trucks. Heck Matchbox made a Street Cleaner and I have it!!! HotWheels always seems to have to hotrod stuff up instead of just making some plain jane stock type of vehicles.

Todd

Old Moparz

Quote from: Todd Wilson on July 24, 2007, 12:10:56 AM

Me too! I got 99% of my old matchbox and hot wheels. I got a few in that picture myself. What I liked about Matchbox was they did some different things compared to Hotwheels. As a kid I enjoyed more common and construction type cars and trucks. Heck Matchbox made a Street Cleaner and I have it!!! HotWheels always seems to have to hotrod stuff up instead of just making some plain jane stock type of vehicles.

Todd

I liked Matchbox the best for the same reason, they were more realistic to me than the others. There were some really cool Hot Wheels & Johnny Lightning back then, but having construction equipment, a bus, police cars, moving van, TV repair van, & more were the best.   :2thumbs:

I'd say Matchbox were made better back then too.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

i remember when i was a kid mom bought me both the red ferrari and the Green lotus F-1 cars and i was in heaven.  :smilielol: