News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i've come to the end of my rope--340 won't run

Started by snipernuts, July 20, 2007, 11:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snipernuts

hi guys!! i've got a 1969 SE Charger, survivor car. we origionally pulled the 318 in it, it was tired, and dropped a 1972 340 in it, with a therma-quad
problem---at first it would vapor lock so bad it would just stall, put a electric fuel pump in and a spacer and mopar electronic ignition.

it will stay running in park all day...until i bump it into gear, it stalls,  if i turn the lights on (vaccum ) while in park... it stalls

i need some direction, can anyone help...please!!!

thanks!!
greg
1969 SE Charger 318 (survivor)
1970 Lemans Sport Conv't
2005 Dodge Rumble Bee

aifilaw

there could be a few problems...

1. check for vacuum leaks
2. how much vacuum are you pulling at idle?
3. is your timing set properly? aka, too much advance or not enough could cause this situation
4. a carberator (I don't work on TQ's so I don't know where this is, but I do on a holley...and the fundamentals of a carb are the same regardless of who built them) will have an idle system, an opening throttle system, and an off-idle system. If the off-idle system is not functioning, then this will cause a problem at off-idle, but only when you use the throttle. are the venturis dripping fuel or atomizing it?

Placing a load on the engine is different from opening the throttle, so I would say you either have a timing, idle setting, or vacuum issue to deal with. Try keeping the car alive with the throttle when putting a load on it, that will help to narrow down the problem
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

whitehatspecial

Have you checked the fuel line from the tank? My (1968's) pickup sock was so badly clogged I was barely getting fuel. I also dropped the tank and had it boiled out (was full of sendiment).
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

snipernuts

hi guys!! i'm going to tear into it tonite when i get off duty, i'll post some results, if anyone have any other ideas on what could be the problem, let me know.

thanks!!
greg
1969 SE Charger 318 (survivor)
1970 Lemans Sport Conv't
2005 Dodge Rumble Bee