News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater box insulation

Started by bull, July 20, 2007, 09:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm in the process of working on the interior of my '68, getting it ready for a coat of POR 15, and I noticed some mice had gotten into some loose insulation above the heater box. Do you really need that stuff up there? Is it supposed to be there? If so what's the purpose? Yea, I know it's to insulate but from what? Is it there to keep the heater box warm or cool or is it a sound thing? Has anyone kept that ratty old stuff in order to put it back in after a restoration? I don't really want it there anymore but I don't want to get rid of it in case it really has to be there.

Shakey

There is some insulation applied to the firewall as well as the upper underside of the cowl. 

In the link below you can see photos of the insulation stuck to the underside of the cowl.  You will also see the Lizard Skin and the red oxide primer I was mentioning.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28517.0.html

There is also a link to the heater box restoration (within the above link) where I took the time to apply all the foam insulation to the inside of the heater box.  I made my own but there are kits available from Jim at Detroit Muscle Technology.

Sometimes there is inuslation for anti-rattling purposes rather than heat rejection.

My thoughts, if the factory put it there, there must have been a reason.

I bought my firewall insulation and my cowl insulation from YO and it was pretty reasonable, most likely because I picked it up.

bull

I take it you didn't reinstall that loose insulation then? Looking at the links you posted I don't see it anywhere.

Shakey

Quote from: bull on July 22, 2007, 01:11:16 AM
I take it you didn't reinstall that loose insulation then? Looking at the links you posted I don't see it anywhere.

Yes I did install it.  I'm thinking your talking about the insulation that is glued to the underside of the cowl.  In the link it's in the first photo.  Yours may have dropped or fallen with age.   :nana:

bull

:scratchchin: I'm going to take the heater box out and restore it as soon as I get all the stuff I need to do it.