News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tips/Procedure to change fuel tank to fill line grommet (1969)

Started by RT, July 22, 2007, 08:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT

I need to replace the grommet that seals the fuel fill line to the tank on my 69.

I have never dropped a fuel tank so I was wondering if anybody can guide me through the replacement procedure for this grommet.

Should I remove the fill line and leave the tank in place or should I leave the fill line in place and drop the tank?

Either way, a procedure would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ralph

Plumcrazy

You're going to have to drop the tank which isn't hard to do.

Drain the tank and remove the fuel line, ground strap to the fuel line and the sending unit wire.
The hardest part may be removeng the nuts from the J studs at the front of the straps that hold the tank in.  You may need some rust solvent and a little time.
After you get those removed, the tank will slide downward and to the right.  The grommet will stay with the tank.  BTW, it's still available from Chrysler

Replace the grommet, lube the filler tube with some vaseline and reinstall the tank.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.