News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would you use the Charger to teach the kids how to drive?

Started by bull, July 19, 2007, 09:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

That's kind of what I'm thinking. It's not just an exercise in education it's a trust thing too. I don't want my kids thinking the Charger is more important to me than them but at the same time I want them to learn the same respect and admiration for the car as I have. Of course I don't want it to get wrecked but I think turning the reins over to them in my most prized possession would show them more than I can say to them.

dkn1997

Quote from: hemigeno on July 20, 2007, 06:27:07 PM

Ummm, I don't think I'm turning my 16 year old daughter (she's taking her driving test on 7/31) loose with a 4-speed Hemicar.......

:P

Pussy!!   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:  come on, man up!! 
RECHRGED

Nacho-RT74

I "stolen" my dad's 88 Jeep wrangler Limited when he was on a vacation trip once, then practice on a 87 Toyota Land Cruiser on building parking lot just practicing manual shiftingand clucth play, even the Jeep I "stolen" was maunual tranny... wasn't easy, but PC Games ( Test Driver LOL ) teach me A LOT. anyway just in case I took driving class on a driving school for safety and was on a Fiat Spazio... then drove a 81 Range Rover, and now My Charger.

I would teach in My Charger... maybe not the first tries but definitelly Yes would do it. Will choose first a manual trannie car to teach and then The Charger to make it feel confortable about Big Cars. I don't like when ppl say doesn't like because is too big and lots of blind points. If you look at 40% of actuall SMALL cars, they have same or less rear view size ( Neon for example ), just helped by big side mirrors.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

NHCharger

My insurance (Hagerty) prohibits anyone with less than five years experience from driving my Chargers. Both my boys learned on my Chevy Express 1 ton cargo van. After driving that most other vehicles seem small.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69_500

Ah come on Gene, let the girl learn how to drive in the Charger, that way she will be just fine at driving by the time the Daytona is done.

:nana:

I'll let my boy drive the 500 when he gets old enough to drive. For now though he is only 3 so that is a bit of a ways away. I don't think I'll change my mind before then though, if not the 500 then another Charger that we will have by that time.

JR

On one had, if they can drive it the Charger they will be fine in todays modern econo crap boxes, but on the other hand, what happens in the event of mechanical failure? Say the throttle sticks, the brakes fail, or something happens in the steering. All are possible in a 40 year old car and a 15 year old most likely wont think fast enough to react before theres' a problem. My 68 got backed into a tree by an 18 year old friend for the same reason.

Kids just don't have the reflexes or the skill to handle that situation. I say let them drive some manual tranny long wheelbase 3/4 ton truck. Thats just as much a crash course in driving.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

bull

Quote from: NHCharger on July 22, 2007, 07:26:34 AM
My insurance (Hagerty) prohibits anyone with less than five years experience from driving my Chargers.

And I'm sure you've never broken any rules. :icon_smile_big: