News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would you use the Charger to teach the kids how to drive?

Started by bull, July 19, 2007, 09:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've been thinking about this for some time. My daughters are 5 and 7 so I've got some time to mull it over but I was thinking about using the Charger, when the time comes, to teach them how to drive. My logic is that if they can drive a BB/4spd '68 w/manual brakes around a parking lot (and that's probably as far as I'd let them go with it) they can drive anything.

The first thing I drove was a JD tractor at the age of about 10 and I think it helped me learn the feel of driving. Let me tell you, everything is pretty easy to drive after learning on a tractor.

Anyway, would you do it? Have you done it? Am I nuts?

71ChallengeHer

No way, Shelby learned how to drive in the Daytona and the Acclaim. She can drive the Challenger when I croak.  :eek2:

terrible one

I'm a kid myself, so I guess my input may not be valued as much, but. . .

I think that it would be alright in a big parking lot with no poles, etc. But even if I was alright with my kids driving the Charger, I don't know if that would be the best. I agree with you/ see where you are coming from with the "if they can drive the Charger, they can drive anything" statement, but then again, it's just so much different than a newer car, and one that they will most likely be driving. While this may be a null response, I guess that what I mean to say is that even if you do trust them to do it, is there any real benefit?

Charger1973

Hell no give em an old pickup truck.  Thats the best way to learn and they are built tough.   :2thumbs:

Forza

I'd take em to the carnival and let them in the bumper cars before the front seat of a 2Door charger.

TruckDriver

Maybe in a 4 door Charger with a 6 cylinder, not my REAL Charger :rotz: Better yet, a old '70s Chevy Vega would be better :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

sunfire69

When I took drivers ED waaaayyyy back, the cars were all '69 chargers, 318 but still Chargers. All the same white with a tan top and tan interior.
The simulators in the classroom were "Chargers" also, ralley cluster  and charger style steering wheel .
In our family dads Charger was the grocery getter, camper puller (16ft Coachman) and vacation wagon, and yes it was the car I learned to drive in.
Jerry 

41husk

I think, I would give my kids a few lessons using one of the Chargers, but most of the tight in town driving the ram truck would be the weapon of choice.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Orange_Crush

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

my73charger

I learned first on a tractor and then in an old GMC farm truck with a 4 speed in a hay field.  What a blast!

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

Quote from: sunfire69 on July 20, 2007, 07:17:39 AM
When I took drivers ED waaaayyyy back, the cars were all '69 chargers, 318 but still Chargers. All the same white with a tan top and tan interior.
The simulators in the classroom were "Chargers" also, ralley cluster  and charger style steering wheel .
In our family dads Charger was the grocery getter, camper puller (16ft Coachman) and vacation wagon, and yes it was the car I learned to drive in.
Jerry 

That's awesome! I'd love to have one of those old simulaters. :yesnod: I can't remember what kind of car our Driver's Ed used but I know it wasn't a Charger. I owned two of the three 2nd gen Chargers in the whole county, and parts off the third.

Charger_Fan

Maybe a rallye cluster could be swapped into this one? ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

I learned on a 1972 Datsun station wagon, self taught when nobody was home.  :D  Drove it around the yard, around the swimming pool in the backyard, then after getting board in the yard, took it down the street. Progressed from there to around the block, around the neighborhood, & then to some friend's houses to pick them up.

If there's keys & a good battery around, they'll teach themselves Bull, so don't worry about it.  :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bull

Hmmm. :scratchchin: That looks familiar now that I see it again. I'm pretty sure that's the same simulator we had in Driver's Ed when I was 15, back in '81 maybe. I wonder if any of those parts are usable on a car? :scratchchin:

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on July 20, 2007, 02:37:12 PM
Maybe a rallye cluster could be swapped into this one? ;D

74-StreetMachine

I learned to drive in dads 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham and I took my drivers test in moms '68 318 charger.  And I passed the first time.
Watch me turn beer into pee for $5.

41husk

Quote from: bull on July 20, 2007, 02:28:34 PM
Quote from: sunfire69 on July 20, 2007, 07:17:39 AM
Jerry 

That's awesome! I'd love to have one of those old simulaters. :yesnod: I can't remember what kind of car our Driver's Ed used but I know it wasn't a Charger. I owned two of the three 2nd gen Chargers in the whole county, and parts off the third.
Our high school still uses that film with the simulators :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

TruckDriver

I actually learned how to drive in a '80 Olds Cutlass 4 door and 2 door. For stick shift, they had a yellow Chevy Chevette that one of the girls drove through the side of the school :lol: Needless to say, I was on my own to learn how to drive stick. I did that in a old '74 Vega I got for free :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Charger_Fan

Quote from: bull on July 20, 2007, 03:46:44 PM
I wonder if any of those parts are usable on a car? :scratchchin:
I know the steering wheel is a real one, I've heard stories of guys getting those in pristine condition for their resto's.

hemigeno

Quote from: dads_69 on July 20, 2007, 02:18:41 PM
Heck yeah, why not. I learned in a '68 w/a 383. When I was 13,summer of 1980 what a blast that was. Its only a car, in 100 years, like its really gonna mater anyways.
Mark

Ummm, I don't think I'm turning my 16 year old daughter (she's taking her driving test on 7/31) loose with a 4-speed Hemicar.  It's only a car, yes, but I'd like to keep my daughter around more than I'd like to keep the car!

:P

Charger1973

Silver R/T

gotta start them out on a beater honda or something else before they can drive real car
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

Start them out on something difficult so that when it comes time to rent that ryder or uhaul to move, they are not afraid to jump in and wheel it around like it's cool. 

RECHRGED

CaptMarvel

Ive been taking my 3 younger ones (ages 3, 10 & 11) for little rides in it recently out in the country where Ive got it stashed. They think its the best thing in the world (especially when I get on it at the end of the long driveway) The answer is heck yes, Id teach them how to drive in the Charger! It'd be a blast and make those priceless memories for them. Its a cool classic car and somewhat valuable, but lets not forget to have some fun with them otherwise what are they really worth in the long run? ;)