News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to start?

Started by spcterry, July 18, 2007, 04:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spcterry

Hi everyone,
I'm new to all this but everyone I've talked to said if you want to restore a car to just do it so I bought a 73 charger for three hundred bucks. I was wondering where the best starting point would be. Every bit of the car needs work but I'm not sure what to start on first. Any help would be great Thanks!

Chatt69chgr

You need to take a bunch of pictures and post them.  Then folks can help you.  As it is, we have no idea what state your car is in now.

spcterry

Here are some pictures of the car, it's a piece of junk now but that's why I got it. The engine pic is when I first got it. I have since taken out the hoses, wiring, air cleaner, carb, intake manifold, master cylinder, valve covers, alternator and radiator. I'm waiting to get an engine stand so I can pull the engine and then I'll sand and paint the engine bay.

twinscrew698

I would look at the k frame suspension mounts and make sure they are good and the ears not rusted out!!

They are prone to wear out and rust eats up the ears for the K frame..since you are pulling the motor anyhow,it is a lot easier with motor out..

Then check steering and suspension etc..

Chatt69chgr

Well----you've certainly got your work cut out---thats for sure.  I would think the suspension components all need to be replaced in the front----Moog makes good stuff.  Or you can buy one of those kits with everything supposedly included in it.  Some have complained about squeeking when using the poly bushings.  Probably the exhaust system is shot.  The transmission should be gone over.  U-joints in drive shaft and seals in rear end.  The brake system.  Cooling system including radiator, heater core, and the whole ac system.  Parts to be rechromed.  Instrument panel might need attention.  Weatherstrips.  Interior rugs, seat coverings, headliner, seat belts.  That ought to keep you busy for a while.

MTPOCKET

Get shop manual.
Subscrib to the latest mopar magazines.
Search the internet.
Setup ebay account.
Oh and check  this form for advise and tips.
And get buzzy!!!!  :smash: