News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stripped bolt

Started by spcterry, July 18, 2007, 03:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spcterry

Hey guys,
  I've got the biggest PIA bolt that is stripped and I can't get it. I've used vise grips, sockets, pliers, I even bought this special socket designed to fit over it and that didn't work. Any ideas?

Charger1973

What bolt?  Did you try those sockets that have a curve inside them and are designed to grip rounded off bolt heads?  I have had very good luck with these in the past.  Or is it the threads that are stripped?

spcterry

Here is a picture of the offending bolt. It is just the bolt head that is stripped, the special socket I tried using is slightly larger than the bolt head itself and has little teeth that are supposed to bite into it the only problem is that no amount of hammering convinced it to slide over and bite into it!

Charger1973

Try these.  They are Irwin brand.  I was very impressed with them. 

Chatt69chgr

Soak it in Kroil or another penetrant for a week.  You also might try gently heating the head and the squirting a penetrating lubricant on the bolt.  Try to get it behind the plate.  Those waterpump bolts can really get rusted in place and oftentimes they just snap off.

spcterry

Thanks everyone, Charger1973 thanks for the tip I went and got them and had it off in five minutes

Charger1973

Quote from: spcterry on July 19, 2007, 07:38:52 PM
Thanks everyone, Charger1973 thanks for the tip I went and got them and had it off in five minutes

Cool!  Glad it worked for you.  Those things really come in handy in times like that.   :yesnod:

Nacho-RT74

never saw before that kind of socket !!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger1973

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on July 19, 2007, 11:57:31 PM

Me either until recently but i'm glad I gave them a shot.   :yesnod:

terrible one

Quote from: Charger1973 on July 20, 2007, 12:00:49 AM

Where can I find a set of these?

Charger1973

Im not sure anymore but I bet spcterry can tell you.   ;)

spcterry

Surprisingly I was able to pick mine up at the local autozone here in Arlington, TX so even if yours doesn't have any they should be able to order some for you.

spcterry

They are also really good at getting really stuck bolts off as well

The70RT

Sears has them (craftsman) I bought a set of 4 for like $25 I think. I used it on a lugnut
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

timmy

Quote from: terrible one on July 20, 2007, 08:49:48 AM
Quote from: Charger1973 on July 20, 2007, 12:00:49 AM

Where can I find a set of these?

those sockets are really nice they work very well  i have a set of them i got mine from mac tool  truck they cost me about 90 bucks but i bet you can get they cheaper some where else

terrible one

Perfect. I'll go look tomorrow. My rear lugs are thrashed because whoever tried to get them off at first didn't know that they were left hand thread. . . :brickwall: