News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The definition of a muscle car?

Started by 4aThrill, July 18, 2007, 01:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

The definition of a muscle car?

I am doing a paper on the definition of a muscle car, the thing is I can't have a definition from the dictionary. But I can ask people what they think the definition of a muscle is in my essay. So what are your thoughts of a muscle car is and such?  Then I can compare and contrast my thoughts from yours, make sense.

:coolgleamA:

PocketThunder

Mopars built between 1963 and 1974  :popcrn:  does that help :slap:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ponch ®

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 18, 2007, 01:51:29 PM

thanks for including us 3rd gen guys  :cheers:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Drache

More horsepower and torque than the smarts of the guys driving them!  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ponch ®

Quote from: Drache on July 18, 2007, 01:53:36 PM
More horsepower and torque than the smarts of the guys driving them!  :icon_smile_big:

that's kinda harsh towards tuner kids...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Drache

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 18, 2007, 01:56:50 PM
Quote from: Drache on July 18, 2007, 01:53:36 PM

that's kinda harsh towards tuner kids...

:smilielol:  :rofl:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Harlow

I remember reading somewhere that the actual definition is: a mid size car with a big block. Thus making camaros, E bodies and mustangs "pony cars". I consider anything from 1963(max wedge cars)-1974 a muscle car. That includes "pony cars".

Mefirst

60s to mid 70s Midsize car, big engine, no brakes to really mention, poor handling if going anything but straight... Simple looking interior, like no electric windows/seats, etc..

/Tom

TruckDriver

Quote from: Harlow on July 18, 2007, 02:09:30 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the actual definition is: a mid size car with a big block. Thus making camaros, E bodies and mustangs "pony cars". I consider anything from 1963(max wedge cars)-1974 a muscle car. That includes "pony cars".
:iagree:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

TruckDriver

Quote from: Mefirst on July 18, 2007, 02:31:33 PM
60s to mid 70s Midsize car, big engine, no brakes to really mention, poor handling if going anything but straight... Simple looking interior, like no electric windows/seats, etc..

/Tom

That's somewhat true. But some muscle cars did come with power windows and brakes and stuff.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

BigBlockSam

Quote60s to mid 70s Midsize car, big engine, no brakes to really mention, poor handling if going anything but straight... Simple looking interior, like no electric windows/seats, etc..

:yesnod:  ah yep
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

tan top

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 18, 2007, 01:51:29 PM

:iagree: :yesnod:.................. :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

70charger_boy

The definition of a musclecar is this.
In 1964 industry standards said the engine to chasis ration should be 1 cubic inch of engine per 100 lbs of chasis weight.  Well, in 1964 when john delorean decided to put a 389 in a car that weighed 3800 lbs, 90 lbs short of being legal, the muscle car was born.  It was an option to a base model.  IE The GTO was an option on the tempest model.  It was such a marketing success that the big 3 auto makers all jumped aboard.  In 1970, insurance rates were going up, so it was common for automakers to underestimate horsepower and torque so the potential buyer wouldn't pay alot for insurance.
In 1975, the federal govt got rid of the leaded gas, imposed pollution controls and added the 5 mph bumper.  So, the last year of the musclecar was in 1974.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bordin34 on July 18, 2007, 02:34:49 PM
There is none.

:iagree:

It's the age old question that can never be answered.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bull

Might I add that they have two doors, not four. :yesnod:

John_Kunkel

There is none.

When it comes to the definitition of a muscle car there is only one correct answer.........there is no clear cut definition.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dkn1997

has to meet 2 creteria in my book:

1. stomp the gas and see tire smoke in rear view
2. still can afford college for the kids after fixing her up.
RECHRGED

kidsixpack

A musclecar is:  any car that is built to out perform (Straightline accelaration or handaling) better than the standard vesion of the same car.  E.G.  Temest=GTO, Sattelite+ Road Runner, or my favorite Coronet 440 + Super Bee.  :Twocents:
KIDSIXPACK
69 1/2 Super Bee V2 buckets console 4spd with radio delete.
1987 Grand National Low miles original
1989 TTA Low miles light mods
95 Lightning Light mods
95 Bronco Sport low miles Lifted light mods

ITSA426

Parallel parking the manual steering, manual brake, four speed hemi will give you another thought on the term "muscle car"

68 Black Betty

A friend of mine once told me the definition of a muscle car is a car that can smoke the tires in all four gears.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Project Car

dkn1997

Quote from: 68 Black Betty on July 18, 2007, 07:59:14 PM
A friend of mine once told me the definition of a muscle car is a car that can smoke the tires in all four gears.

then most of us are in trouble.  most cannot smoke 'em in more than 2 gears and us guys with automatics are SOL no matter how much power we make...no 4th gear.
RECHRGED

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 18, 2007, 06:16:55 PM
There is none.

When it comes to the definitition of a muscle car there is only one correct answer.........there is no clear cut definition.

But we know one when we see one.

1BAD68

simple, any car that was built and marketed based on its cubic inches of displacement or high horsepower rating. Any car marketed for luxury or comfort is not a muscle car.