News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help tunig Edelbrock

Started by MyMopar, September 01, 2005, 09:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMopar

Need some help or reference in tuning tips.   Here is what I have:
440 Mopar (9.4 compression) .484 lift cam, headers, 3" exhaust, automatic w/4.30 gears.   Stall is around 2800, but I'm not sure anymore, of course in a Charger (69)   Edelbrock 750cfm carb. electric choke

Here is my problem, at idle when I step on it, it bogs down.   Now with 4.30 gears and an auto, those tires should be breaking loose.

My vaccuum at idle is right around 15hg and STEADY, so I have no leaks.   My fuel pressure is 6 psi at idle and is electrically driven.

I am thinking the car is running to rich causing the bog, so I should change the pump adjustment to allow a slower input of fuel as the throttle blades open?

Here is one more bit of info, when I try to power brake, the engine seems to bog down and not really climb over 2300 rpm.   I didn't try this that long so maybe I just didn't give it enough time.   My thinking though with 4.30's the tires should go up in smoke easily during a power brake.

I just need to understand better what symptons mean what action needs to take place.   I miss my holley, it was easier for me to tune somehow, of course that was over 3 years ago.

MyMopar

Ok so I did some reading and need to know this at least.

How can you tell the difference between an off idle lean bog vs. rich bog?

My car goes ok off the line, still a little stumble but it is no push you in the seat, until 2900 RPM then it really winds up. 

Car doesn't backfire or anything, fires right off when I turn the key hot or cold.  Does any of this info help out?

I may be able to record the sound in the engine bay so people can have a better understanding on what is going on.

68 RT

My 750 man choke edelbrock was too lean out of the box on a stock 440hp. I had the same problem as you car would bog down bad on flooring it. Changed the step up springs. This cured the problem. Buy the edelbrock tuning kit, it has springs, rods and jets. Car still ran a little lean, so I also changed primary rods and jets.

MyMopar

I have the edelbrock kit with the metering rods, springs and jets.  I will change the spring out to a lighter one and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.  I'll look into jetting too and trying different metering rod combos.

firefighter3931

Generally speaking, an off idle bog indicates a lean condition. zthis is a common problem with edelbrock carbs out of the box...as indicated above. You need to fatten up the main circuit to help with the tip in transition from idle circuit to main circuit. Good luck.....you're on the right path with the tuning kit.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Edelbrock also offers their whole little AFB clone tuning guide on their website so that might be useful too.   There isn't a lot you can change on them though.

Badbob

I have the same carb, cam with a cast piston 413 with 3.55 gears. No bog, 12's out of the box. Ignition timing may be your problem. I run 39 total degrees in by 2500 rmp. Intake is Eddy RPM, 1 3/4" headers 2.5" exhaust 2800 stall. Make sure your accellerator pump rod is in the inner hole. I played with the carb a bit but got the best results with the out of the box settings.

Chryco Psycho

Cyeck the float level , it could be low , also you may need a larger squirter to over come the bog off the line , Eddy does have 1 lager squirter available or you can drill it with numbered drills , eddys are always set lean you will have to up jet as well
also make sure you have enough initial advance in the timing , the 484 will need 16-18*