News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Open headers.

Started by Animal, July 18, 2007, 01:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Animal

Hi guys , is there any advantage in running open headers , i have a 440 , 60thou over , steel crank , roller rockers , crower cam , eddy heads , TTi headers , 3" TTi exhaust.

PB is 12.5 , this is using 95 ron , sticking it in drive (max rpm through gears 4800) , with the exhaust on.

Would i get any gains by running open headers , as some say the loss on low rpm , will not make the gain @ high rpm.

Now the motors "run in" i'm gonna take it to 6000 rpm through the box , use 116 octane & maybe make better times depending on the open headers question.

Thanks guys.

Adam.

aifilaw

it really depends more on the cam and where the flow is on the heads... but since you have a fairly open exhaust, I think that won't be your choke point.

based on what you said I think you could free up a few ponies up top, say 5+ by opening them up.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

keepat

Open them up for no other reason then it sound awesome! I do it every time I drive my Charger :2thumbs:
Pat

Ghoste

Man, you got all the goodies under there Pat.

My car will improve with open headers in both et and mph but there are some pretty effiicient exhaust systems available today so I figure mine isn't one of them.

aifilaw

Quote from: keepat on July 18, 2007, 09:06:12 PM
Open them up for no other reason then it sound awesome! I do it every time I drive my Charger :2thumbs:
Pat

nice setup.. what brand/where did you get those cutouts, and have they leaked? how long have you had them?
I grew weary of sliding under the side of my charger with two wrenches every time I went to the strip.

keepat

Quote from: aifilaw on July 19, 2007, 10:39:23 AM
Pat

nice setup.. what brand/where did you get those cutouts, and have they leaked? how long have you had them?
I grew weary of sliding under the side of my charger with two wrenches every time I went to the strip.

I order them from www.QuickTimePerformance.com they work great with no leaks. I have used them for 6 months with no problem. With the right motor/cam setup you can out thump any subwoofer equipped rice-burner that thinks he knows what music is! ;D
Pat

Ghoste

That alone has got to worth as much as any performance gain.  :smilielol:

aifilaw

the coolness factor of being able to open and close them at will on the street is what would sell it for me, but @#%@#$ those things are expensive for what they are.

Mike DC

I'd love to use a set of those electric cutouts to choose between just some loud-ass flowmaster mufflers, or sending the gasses through an extra-quiet set of reasonators farther back.

firefighter3931

With 3in exhaust and headers there probably isn't much gain by dropping the exhaust unless the mufflers are restrictive. If you're running a flowmaster muffler....it will definately run better w/o the exhaust. You'll have to adjust the jetting if you open it up.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Animal

So , if the Demon has No 83 secondary jets , i should go to 84/5 jet.

Thanks guys.

Ricardo

I did also installed the electric QTP for the fun of it.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Animal on July 20, 2007, 08:31:18 PM
So , if the Demon has No 83 secondary jets , i should go to 84/5 jet.

Thanks guys.

Make a pass then shut it off immediately and look at the plugs. Jet up until you see a tan/light brown color......or keep jetting up until the car slows down.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

We had a car on the dyno...    was a pump gas stroker and picked up 92hp between closed exhaust and open.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69chargerboy

Pat

Pat, not to be tooooo nosey, but what brand of mufflers do you have on the Charger?
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Steve P.

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 22, 2007, 11:16:19 PM
We had a car on the dyno...    was a pump gas stroker and picked up 92hp between closed exhaust and open.

Holey crap. What WAS on it, lawn mower mufflers?? :rofl:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

keepat

Quote from: 69chargerboy on July 25, 2007, 06:34:24 PM
Pat

Pat, not to be tooooo nosey, but what brand of mufflers do you have on the Charger?
The exhaust 3" TTI with DynoMax mufflers.
Pat