News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally took the engine to the shop

Started by DrHemi, July 17, 2007, 11:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrHemi

So I finally bit the bullet and took my 1970 Charger's orginal 383 to the shop. It needed a slight bore as I had ridges and hell I wanted more power so we discussed going stock or stroking. The guy building it has his Cuda in I think he said Hot Rod right now and I've seen it on Speed so I've been trusting he'd point me in the right direction. Anyway it's now getting stroked to 470. Being on a budget I'm having the original heads done. Maybe later I'll find something that breathes for a reasonable price but for now ma mopar is the way to go. He said I should get a bolt in sprag for the 727 while I have it out. Anyone done this? Any suggestions on carb/intake/headers. I've been reading old posts on ceramic and plain headers. It's going to be a street driven car with a/c and power brakes. Guess I need to convert to disc as the orig drums barely stopped the 383 when it had the 2bbl on it. Should I go dual plane or single plane? I've been thinking Weiand intake and Demon carb? It's going to have electric exhaust cut outs no matter what so will that influence my header choices? They're looking at internally balancing the engine. Anything else I'll need to upgrade on the car? Should I go up a size on the fuel lines? Fuel pump ideas? It has a 2. something open rear.  :shruggy:
1938 Packard 120
1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (RIP due to code enforcement)
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si

Chryco Psycho

5/16 line will generally feed a 383 , with a stroker 3/8 would be a good upgrade
A Holley or Proform carb would be a better choice IMO
I like the mech fuel pumps , they are quiet & reliable

DrHemi

1938 Packard 120
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si

deputycrawford

Intake choices; I would have to go with the Performer RPM Edelbrock intake. Have it ported and gasket matched. A Holley Street Dominator would do you well also. I would stick with the dual plane intakes because you say its will be a street car. The 2:76 rear will have to go no matter what. You will do fine with a 3:55 gear in a stroker. It will probably not be an every day driver anyway. You wil have plenty of highway room and have the take off you want also. Call a cam company and tell them what you want. They will give you a cam recommendation as well as a converter suggestion.
     Wait for others on this thread as well as take your time with the research. You will have fun with the learning process and be happy with the finished product. Many pics of burnies will be mandatory when you are finished.   :drive:
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

On a 470 stroker build my preference would be for a single plane.....the long arm crank will make tons of bottom end power. A holley street dominator or TM6 would work ideal with that engine combo. Both of these manifolds are out of production but come up for sale often on E-bay.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AKcharger

OOOh fuel line size?? I didn't think about that? 470 with a six pack...would 5/16 still work for that?

Oh, Dr. Hemi, I dropped my block off this week too (all checked good  :icon_smile_big:) and also making a 470 stroker...so we can check up on each other. I'm ordering my Kit from 440 source this week. my build plan is:
- 400 .30 over
- 470 stroker kit from 440 source 9.7:1 compression...balanced
- Stock HP cast iron headers
- 452's
- windage tray
- Still not too sure on Cam...I think an Engle K56
- 6 pack from PROMAX® already dyno'd an set up
- Oh and an aluminum water pump....that's good for like 30HP!

DrHemi

1938 Packard 120
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si

Silver R/T

I would go with speed demon 850 carb on that setup and TTI ceramic headers, if you can't afford them get some Super comp hookers. How much is the quote on the engine build so far?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

DrHemi

1938 Packard 120
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si