News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I gotta build a Storage Garage !

Started by Challenger340, January 21, 2014, 03:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I had to put up with grief from the ol' lady during the most of the resto on my car.  C'mon, it only took like 7 years!   She likes to call it "that hunk of metal".

I wouldn't ever go without a garage.  When we were house shopping about 15 years ago, we passed up on many nice houses that only had a two stall garage.....I had to have the 3rd, so the Charger had a place to live.

Get the garage!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: don duick on January 22, 2014, 03:37:05 AM
I knocked up a temporary shed for $700 to cover my charger then I put a temporary extension on it for another $500 to cover my second charger then I put another temporary extension at the back of it to fit my parts. This pile of Sh#@ has now sat in my back yard for 17 years

Any shelter is better than no shelter.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on January 22, 2014, 12:21:41 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 22, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
These insurance companies never inspect where the car is stored. It would next to impossible to check.
Who cares if they check? If it gets stolen from your yard they can deny the claim based on the police report.

Troy

Not if you claim it was stolen from a garage.

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 22, 2014, 11:20:51 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 22, 2014, 12:21:41 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 22, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
These insurance companies never inspect where the car is stored. It would next to impossible to check.
Who cares if they check? If it gets stolen from your yard they can deny the claim based on the police report.

Troy

Not if you claim it was stolen from a garage.
And what do you say when the police ask where the garage is? The thieves took that too? Risking a felony isn't it? (Insurance fraud, lying to the police, etc.) :eyes:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ACUDANUT

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 23, 2014, 03:10:07 PM
LOL, I was not being serious. :icon_smile_big:
Ah, well just trying to avoid seeing another sob story thread... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Tilar

My third wife talked me into trading my 72 SE Brougham for a LeBaron Convertible she wanted which I regretted within just a few days. Then she tried to "tell" me to sell my 68 Charger. My response "I had this car long before you got here, it will be here long after you're gone. She's been gone for soon to be 19 years and I still have my 68 Charger.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

BrianShaughnessy

These Amish barn places around here advertise basic 1 car garages for under $5K delivered.   :shruggy:    10 or 12 x 20 should be ok?      They have a wood floor or you could pour a concrete pad.   I'm sure they're in your area too.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Sublime/Sixpack

Build the garage you want!  :2thumbs:
Build it nice enough so it works for you and you're able to enjoy it. BUT DON'T BUILD IT SO NICE THAT THE WIFE WILL WANT TO SPEND TIME IN IT. :nono:
Because if you do you'll find Cry baby dolls propped against your car bumpers, dainty linen in the restroom (plus feminine supplies), decorations hanging from everything a month prior to even the least of holidays, quaint framed needle work pictures on the walls, artificial greenery on shelves, knitted covers on the handles of your power tools, etc., etc., etc.

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Dreamcar

Whatever you do, don't let her see your rant that's now on the internet!
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Tilar on January 23, 2014, 05:07:14 PM
My third wife talked me into trading my 72 SE Brougham for a LeBaron Convertible she wanted which I regretted within just a few days. Then she tried to "tell" me to sell my 68 Charger. My response "I had this car long before you got here, it will be here long after you're gone. She's been gone for soon to be 19 years and I still have my 68 Charger.

:o

Your third wife has been gone for 19 years?! 

I'm afraid to ask, how many wives have you gone through?   :lol:

Tilar

Dave  

TPR

Am I the odd one out?
My wife wants to move to a bigger property so that we can have a bigger garage to fit the '70 Challenger she wants.
She is awesome.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Lord Warlock

I don't recommend temporary structures,  when i was younger, I bought an aluminum framed tent (quanset hut look) with thick vinyl tarp cover for about 600.00, it was 20x12, and it did protect the car from most of the elements/ sun/wind/rain, but it sat on grass in the yard, which promptly died, then the rats moved in and made a house inside the car.  I was constantly trapping rats and finding corpses inside the car.  Even after i cleared all the dried corpses out the car reeked of rat urine and feces, wasn't until i removed the headliner that i found out why, they made the headliner their toilet area and it was filled with rat turds. I will NEVER consider a similar solution.  Also the moisture and humidity would seep up from the ground and the drum brakes rusted which locked up the wheels in the back.  Of course if i occasionally moved the car that wouldn't have happened.  Around 8 to 9 years of storage, the cover on top split down the middle of the roof, and I took it down and gave up on the endeavor.  I moved the charger to the front garage and parked it there until I could build the backyard garage shown on page 1. 

If you intend to stay married long term, you do have to "discuss" any large expenditures or it will cause a wedge that will drive the relationship apart.  I've been married for 29 years, and we dated 7 years before marriage.  Thats why I encourage selling the idea of a home improvement while giving her something she wants done.  Like now, we still need to do other improvements to the house, including two bathrooms that both need to be repaired and updated, I'll incorporate some of my wants and she'll get some of hers, I'll get a whirlpool deep tub, she'll get fancy tile and flooring.  The guest bath will just get basic updates. 

A temporary structure is better than no structure, but it isn't a solution unless you add a raised wood platform to get off the dirt/grass and can keep rodents out of it.  A permanent garage is a much better solution if you truly intend to keep the charger for a long time. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

GordonGriggs

I say build a garage if you have the room. I just had a 2 car garage at my other house and needed more room. There was no more room to build their so I bought another house with a 2 car garage. I keep 2 charger's here, and 1 charger at my old house. Still got 1 garage bay left open. Guess Ill have to eventually buy another charger so the space won't go to waste.

Tilar

Ohh, I know! Tell her that you will add a kitchen to the new garage so she can spend time with you out there!  :2thumbs:

Be sure to record the fireworks after you say that, I wanna see it.     

Dave  

boys3rt

30 years ago when we bought our current house, there was a two floor 28 x 50 detached barn (5 years old) that went with the property. She was pregnant with our 1st at the time and I said we are buying  a nice garage with a detached house. I told her that if we went thru with this it would take some years to do upgrades to the house. She always supported this and she did get her upgrades some years later. The one battle that I ever had was getting a shed. She would say you have your big garage what do you need a shed for? As stated earlier thru many postings a happy wife is a happy life so I backed off. I still have my garage and cars and I'm thankful for that.

Hope you get your garage no matter what you have it's awesome.

Good Luck

HeavyFuel

Quote from: TPR on January 24, 2014, 05:27:55 PM
Am I the odd one out?
My wife wants to move to a bigger property so that we can have a bigger garage to fit the '70 Challenger she wants.
She is awesome.
TPR

You suck.   :lol: