News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

local man killed in '70 charger powerslide:

Started by Brock Samson, July 16, 2007, 12:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

sad,..  :-\ showing off with daughter and her friend.. driver's door hit a tree...

http://www.ktvu.com/video/13685590/index.html

Shakey

PocketThunder

My friend from college works for Jansport.  Hard to belive he was going fast enough from the intersection to spin around that fast to push the door in several feet. :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Big Lebowski

I'd recommend putting side air bags in your Charger if you're going to drive it into a tree.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Drache

Quote from: Big Lebowski on July 16, 2007, 01:05:21 PM
I'd recommend putting side air bags in your Charger if you're going to drive it into a tree.

I'd suggest driving it into some softer such as airbags instead of a tree
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Charger1973

He really had to be moving to push the door in several feet.  I was hit in my first 73 Charger by a 1977 Cutlass Supreme,  the guy was going 30 mph and never hit the brakes.  I was making a right hand turn into a parking lot and he was behind me headed for the same parking lot but took a "shortcut" across a patch of gravel and hit me at about a 45o angle.  I had someone in the passenger seat at the time and they werent hurt, hell the window didnt even break (it was rolled up.)  I cant imagine sliding into a tree hard enough to kill yourself unless you were REALLY speeding.  Its a good thing he didnt kill anyone else...

This is a pic of my old car after it was hit.

hemigeno

In the early '70s they started adding a horizontal "crash bar" as part of the door construction - but I'm not sure which year that started for certain.  Charger1973, that's a big reason your '73 came away with as little damage as it did in that collision with the Cutlass, besides the fact that it was a glancing blow.  I know the doors on my '69s don't have NEAR as much beef in them as a IIIGen's doors do.

Very sad deal...

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

TruckDriver

Was he a member here or on the '70 Charger registry? Sucks either way. A great guy and a great car gone.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Neal_J

I didn't know him but his town is 15 minutes from me here in NorCal and I don't recognize him as a member here.

What a shame.  Man, I sure hope I don't croak doing something stupid....

Neal

Ponch ®

Quote from: Neal_J on July 16, 2007, 05:38:19 PM

What a shame.  Man, I sure hope I don't croak doing something stupid....

Neal

Me neither. I wanna go like my great-grandpa - peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in horror, like his passengers.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Chris G.

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on July 16, 2007, 04:38:15 PM
Was he a member here or on the '70 Charger registry? Sucks either way. A great guy and a great car gone.

That name is not registered with us.

I feel bad for the family. I wrecked my Charger way worse than he did and walked away without a scratch. I didn't have door impact though.

Brock Samson

Eye witnesses are reporting today he sped up just before losing control...

...another '70 driver hit and an off duty cop going home on his motorcycle... the cop lost his leg,..
another left turn accident...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/29/BAG8TFVBFA1.DTL&hw=1970+dodge+charger&sn=008&sc=352

:scratchchin: let's just be extra careful out there o.k?..

PocketThunder

Got an e-mail back from my freind who works for Jansport and he said it was a purple Charger.  "He died in his purple Charger, beautiful car"
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BMOTOXSTAR

That sucks. I ride a street bike and that A-hole hit the rider & left. What a crock of shi-. :rotz: :flame: :Twocents:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger1973

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on July 17, 2007, 11:23:22 AM
That sucks. I ride a street bike and that A-hole hit the rider & left. What a crock of shi-. :rotz: :flame: :Twocents:
I agree I dont understand people who do that at all.  I saw a hit and run accident last year...  A car blew through a 4 way stop in a residential area and t-boned a car and kept right on going.  It spun the other car around and into the curb.  She had to have been moving because it was extremely loud.  I worked as maintenance at an apartment complex and my boss and I were outside.  We heard the crash and he went running over there to make sure everyone was ok and I called 911.  The driver was fine but the little kid in the car seat in back was crying and had some cuts from the glass.  Once the paramedics showed up we took off to see if we could find the other car.  Didnt take long because there was a trail of antifreeze that lead to a stalled out 300M at a stop light with the hood folded in half.  We let the cops know where she was...  They said it was a teenage girl who had already lost her license for an wrecking her car before and killing someone.  She said she ran because she had stolen her parents car and didnt want to be caught...  :rotz:

Charger-Bodie

really sucks for him and his family...... it might not be the most appropriote thing but id really like to see pics of the car cause im finding it very hard to believe that the door was bent in 3 feet.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Arthu®

Striving for world domination since 1986

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 1hot68 on July 17, 2007, 11:42:28 AM
really sucks for him and his family...... it might not be the most appropriote thing but id really like to see pics of the car cause im finding it very hard to believe that the door was bent in 3 feet.
Like this?

That sucks that the crash killed him, I'm just glad the two passengers lived to tell about it.
However, I'd like to see pics of the car too.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

CFMopar

Could've been alot worse... Could've killed the other two...
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

gnrl01

What a horrible, story! At least not everyone died.  :-\

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

JimShine

I can believe the door went in that far. The middle of the body is the worst area to crumple. Chargers, while beautiful, don't hold up well in crashes.

It is very sad to see. It makes me reconsider rollcages. You never know when something can happen to you.

hemihead

I guess when you have done here what God wanted you to do and he calls you home, you don't have a say in it.  :scratchchin:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Red Ram

Quote from: hemihead on July 19, 2007, 10:11:27 AM
I guess when you have done here what God wanted you to do and he calls you home, you don't have a say in it.  :scratchchin:

So are you saying that God wanted him to do a powerslide in a 70 Charger?
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

last426

Quote from: Red Ram on July 20, 2007, 01:51:56 AM
Quote from: hemihead on July 19, 2007, 10:11:27 AM

So are you saying that God wanted him to do a powerslide in a 70 Charger?

No, what he is saying is that we should not put side impact protection in cars because "what will be" is all part of a plan.  Shame on you -- God would have no part of your scheme.  It's sort of like pre-destination.  Kim

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: hemigeno on July 16, 2007, 01:56:42 PM
In the early '70s they started adding a horizontal "crash bar" as part of the door construction

In 1973 but just on driver side as far I remember on my car. Driver side door weights noticeable more than passenger side... sorry was reading another thread and brought me out to this thread
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Dodge Don

The doors on a 2nd Gen Charger are paper thin. Remarkeably weak when you strip them down and look.

Highbanked Hauler

I think 73 was the first year side door bars were mandatory. Anything built before that had very little side protection.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Mike DC

Cars in general are terrible in side impact crashes. 

There's just no metal structure to crush between the driver and the outside world.  Even if you build cars strong enough not to give inwards at the doors, the hit is still extremely forceful just because there's so little "crumple-zone" slowdown of the impact. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NASCAR's new COT chassis cars have a layer of 1/4" thick steel plate covering the ENTIRE driver's side door bar area now.  Doorjamb-to-doorjamb, rocker panel to windowsill. 

And then the car has a thick layer of hi-tech impact foam on the outside of that.   

firefighter3931

A rollbar could have saved his life.....makes you think  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

400/6/PAC