News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what are mopar guys like?

Started by Mean 318, July 14, 2007, 02:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mean 318

I was just wondering what mopar guys in your area are like? Where I live -North Dakota, It seems like all the mopar guys here are ass holes! Its only the mopar guys too! I know four that seem to be good guys, but the rest wont lift a finger to help you out! The will bull shit and that is the end of it! I have also noticed that that they all seem to hate most of the other guys! I am thinking that it might be because of how much money is in the hobby these days! I have called one guy to look at his 70 bee to help me out with mine but he never has time to either look for me or let me look at his! Also, they wont even think of selling parts! -that is their choice and I respect it, but how many steering wheels does one guy with 3 cars need! Same with guys that look at my car and don't understand why I would fix up a coronet... well it must have been nice to have been around when these cars were dirt cheep, but the rest of us need to work with what we can find! Anyone else deal with this stuff where they live? It takes all the fun out of the hobby. IF it wasnt for having sites like this I dont think I would even be fixing up an old mopar RANT OFF

4cruzin

I sure don't have that problem here in Michigan.  Most of the mopar guys I run into are helpful and love to talk and show off their cars??   :yesnod:   Sorry to hear you've run into a few bad seeds . . . and whats wrong with a coronet??  :shruggy:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

71superbee

It's quite the oppsoite around here in Maine. All the Mopar guys that I know are always there to help, when needed.

RECHRGD

Youl'll run into a--holes and great people in all hobbies.  Some of the best people I've met from this particular hobby seem to like ALL classic / vintage cars, muscle or not.  The people that seem to fall more to the a--hole types are the ones that put themselves in one little box, be it Chevy, Ford or Mopar and look upon the others with distain.  Bob.
13.53 @ 105.32

pettyfan43

I have tinkered with Mopars, almost exclusively for about 22-23 years, and the guy I have met that have been Mopar guys forever, are always genuinely glad to help and to offer advice when you need it, I even had a guy GIVE me a 66 Charger parts car to help me with my car.

WITHOUT a DOUBT the ones I have run into that are jerks and a$$holes are guys that own whatever is hot, they own a six pack Super Bee NOW because Mopars are the hottest collectible cars now, when Corvettes were hot, that is what they owned. And they have to MAKE DAMN sure you know that their car has numbers matching drivetrain even though they most likely can't tell you HOW to determine that, and the original cigarette butts are in the right rear ashtray! They are after a quick buck and when they figure out you ain't giving six figures for their car, you can go to hell!

ALL OF THEM ARE NOT LIKE THAT, some people get into the hobby just to enjoy the cars, some buy high dollar cars just because they like cars.

The jerks you meet are the guys that are only nice to people who can afford to buy their cars. They are after $$$$$$$$$$$

hemihead

Quote from: pettyfan43 on July 14, 2007, 03:46:39 PM
I have tinkered with Mopars, almost exclusively for about 22-23 years, and the guy I have met that have been Mopar guys forever, are always genuinely glad to help and to offer advice when you need it, I even had a guy GIVE me a 66 Charger parts car to help me with my car.

WITHOUT a DOUBT the ones I have run into that are jerks and a$$holes are guys that own whatever is hot, they own a six pack Super Bee NOW because Mopars are the hottest collectible cars now, when Corvettes were hot, that is what they owned. And they have to MAKE DAMN sure you know that their car has numbers matching drivetrain even though they most likely can't tell you HOW to determine that, and the original cigarette butts are in the right rear ashtray! They are after a quick buck and when they figure out you ain't giving six figures for their car, you can go to hell!

ALL OF THEM ARE NOT LIKE THAT, some people get into the hobby just to enjoy the cars, some buy high dollar cars just because they like cars.

The jerks you meet are the guys that are only nice to people who can afford to buy their cars. They are after $$$$$$$$$$$
I agree with you pettyfan, where i'm from all the Mopar guys bleed Mopar blue and would NEVER own a type X car or even think of it and we have been Mopar guys when everyone else drove Camaros and Trans Ams.The guys I know don't sell parts to each other, we trade to help each other out.Seems like the Johnny come latelys are the ones who got into Mopars because they got popular and some guys smelled money in it.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

71ChallengeHer

I've owned Mopars since I was 17. And so have a lot of my friends. And we are all loyal to Mopar no matter if we drive a Charger , a Dart, a Challenger , etc. Some of the best friends I ever made are Mopar owners . And they will help out anyone in a bind. At Carlisle on Thurs night at the kick off party I noticed Shelby's car was running a little warmer then normal. Guys got on their cell phones trying to locate a radiator. And thanks Bryan for telling us we could call you and you had a truck and trailer to come get us if we didn't make it home.  :cheers: We made it back to Carlisle on Friday and thats when the it really started leaking. Mopar guys jumped in and fixed it right in the middle of the show field. I offered to pay them and they wouldn't take a dime. And thank you Chryco for offering your help if we needed it. :2thumbs: Mopar friends rock! :punkrocka:

Drache

I too agree with Pettyfan and ad that the guys that I found are real assholes are the ones that will pick apart your car at a show right down to the correct bolts. Yes some people like to be that picky but others like me are in it for the cars themselves. It is USUALLY but not always the guys who buy the hottest cars of that year that are the stickler for details type. If I own a third gen 318 car and put a 360 into it for just the bit more power I do it because I want to have fun with the car, I don't want to get told by every tag reader out there that I should put the 318 back in because it's more original.

Ok if I have a Daytona, Hemi or R/T car with a small block instead of a big block and try calling it original when I know it's not then flame me for all it's worth, but don't flame me because I have the wrong front seats, or '69 B5 blue on a '70 Car.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Chryco Psycho

as with any group there are good & bad but for the Most part Mopar guys have been great people with a couple of exceptions

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mean 318

I agree that there are good people in the hobby -otherwise I wouldnt be here! :2thumbs:

TruckDriver

Most of the guys here around me in Wisconsin are pretty cool, and love to show off their cars.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Charger1973

I dont know too many Mopar guys around here.   The ones I do know are cool guys but I live out in the country and no one really comes out here.

dads_69

The mopar guys around here have clicks, they tend to hang in certain groups w/each other like little kids in school. Those of us who do hang out, don't kick out other cars, its all about muscle cars and showing off each others pride and joy. Funny part is, I owned most chargers here that are around town, the wons that I didn't own, those guys beat me to it is all, ha-ha.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Todd Wilson

Around here in Kansas the Mopar crowd is the outcast at any car show. Theres a few of us that are pretty good people and then theres a few that just dont take their cars out and wont talk to you about them when they are out. NO matter if you are in your Mopar or not. Then theres a few others that are "Experts" or have the SuperBird or Hemi car tucked away and in reality they are full of shit in ever way. We got a guy running around town here with a 72 Roadrunner he bought new. Sat in his garage for 20 years and he recently got it out and suddenly he is the Mopar Guru around here.  He says now he wished he had ordered the 426 Hemi option for his 72 Roadrunner. I just laughed and said yeah I wish you had too. HAHA!

Todd

RD

we are called the mafia for a reason... mopar guys here in kansas stick together, that is just the nature of the beast :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

charger0740

most people in my area don't wanna talk to me for example this guy had a superbird at a local show and i tryed to talk to him and since i was a kid he didn't want to talk ecspecailly after I told him that I have a 73' charger 318...I guess people don't care about your car if its not rare or even if your a person tryin to have fun with it on a limited budget

69_500

I can say this, the Mopar crowd that is here in Indy is very easy to get into. The first time I showed up a local show in the sunroof Charger, people were instantly over to talk to me and ask who I was and such. Now with the 500 there are few that think that it was my dad's car that he handed down to me or something, but after a few shows they realize that I just searched my butt off for a car and got what I wanted.

Have had several very helpful people help me out with little things on the cars that I've had too. Heck Geno, gave me 2 center caps for my 500 last year. I feel bad about that one now, that I lost one on the drive home from St. Louis the very next day.

Charger1973

Quote from: charger0740 on July 14, 2007, 10:41:49 PM
most people in my area don't wanna talk to me for example this guy had a superbird at a local show and i tryed to talk to him and since i was a kid he didn't want to talk ecspecailly after I told him that I have a 73' charger 318...I guess people don't care about your car if its not rare or even if your a person tryin to have fun with it on a limited budget

Hey man there is nothing wrong with a 73 318 car.  Thats how my car started life but its a big block now.  Dont get discouraged because not everyone is that way.... 

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Charger1973 on July 14, 2007, 11:34:50 PM
Quote from: charger0740 on July 14, 2007, 10:41:49 PM

Hey man there is nothing wrong with a 73 318 car.  Thats how my car started life but its a big block now.  Dont get discouraged because not everyone is that way.... 

:iagree: :iagree:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Old Moparz

I've made some good friends that I've known since 1989 when I moved here to Newburgh, NY, & they had only started out as a casual acquaintance simply by meeting up at a local cruise as other Mopar owners. All it seemed to have done was give each other an excuse to strike up conversations easier. I've also met some real a-holes that own Mopars, so it has nothing to do with what they own. Heck, one guy I know is only interested in parking his car, hope for a trophy, then leave without talking to anyone.

My best friend, who I've known since 4th grade, drives Chebbies. It really depends on how the individual carries themselves, as opposed to what they own, & why they own it. If they are a decent person who'd help a friend, it won't matter if they drive a Mopar or any other brand, including imports. If they were just driving whatever happens to be the "popular" car, or the "status" car, to get attention from people, chances are they already have issues with socializing & won't talk to anyone let alone help out or answer a question.

Just the other night after a local cruise ended, & long after the trophies were given out, there were only 5 cars left in the entire lot at 11 PM, including myself. All 5 were Mopars, & we were all hanging out talking about cars & everything else. A small group of import cars rolled in & parked nearby. Two of the owners were very interested in the old iron & asked lots of questions. One guy went around & took a bunch of photos, then came back over & hung out. He seemed okay, just another friendly car fan that enjoyed being there.

As long as any car fan acts friendly, they'll probably attract other friendly people. Act like an a-hole, & you'll be ignored.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger1973

:iagree: Id say about 9 out of 10 of my friends are into anything but Mopar.  It doesnt really matter, but it is nice when you have mopar buddies that know whats going on when its time to work on stuff... 

dukeboy_318

Quote from: 69_500 on July 14, 2007, 10:51:11 PM
I can say this, the Mopar crowd that is here in Indy is very easy to get into. The first time I showed up a local show in the sunroof Charger, people were instantly over to talk to me and ask who I was and such. Now with the 500 there are few that think that it was my dad's car that he handed down to me or something, but after a few shows they realize that I just searched my butt off for a car and got what I wanted.

Have had several very helpful people help me out with little things on the cars that I've had too. Heck Geno, gave me 2 center caps for my 500 last year. I feel bad about that one now, that I lost one on the drive home from St. Louis the very next day.

Hey 69_500

Where at in INDY are you located, I live in Columbus.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Chad L. Magee

Around here, I usually only see Corvette or Mustang guys at the shows.  I do know a few mopar locals that make it to the monthy cruise, but either I don't make it when they do or vice versa most of the time.  I tend to see them more at the springtime swap meets than at the shows, hoarding parts (just like me  :lol:).  They are good guys who would help someone without asking for $ and they run the Father's Day show out on Hwy 63.  You just don't see their cars in town very often.....

RD-  Does the Kansas Mafia have any Northwest Kansas members?  The town I am orginally from has a handful of mopar guys, but it is a mixed batch.  Some are real nice, some are the opposite.  The local grudges are what makes the Rod Run drag races interesting each year......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

RD

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 15, 2007, 04:45:39 PM
Around here, I usually only see Corvette or Mustang guys at the shows.  I do know a few mopar locals that make it to the monthy cruise, but either I don't make it when they do or vice versa most of the time.  I tend to see them more at the springtime swap meets than at the shows, hoarding parts (just like me  :lol:).  They are good guys who would help someone without asking for $ and they run the Father's Day show out on Hwy 63.  You just don't see their cars in town very often.....

RD-  Does the Kansas Mafia have any Northwest Kansas members?  The town I am orginally from has a handful of mopar guys, but it is a mixed batch.  Some are real nice, some are the opposite.  The local grudges are what makes the Rod Run drag races interesting each year......

where you from originally chad?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander