News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winter storage...

Started by Charger1973, July 11, 2007, 01:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Here Matt, here is a old thread on car storage that you might like too...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3278.0.html
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Bob

Don't try the time capsule thing. It did not work in 1957 either. :smilielol:
Cheap but effective, canvas or plywood under the car for a moisture barrier and moth balls in the car for visitors, with a cheap wallmart car cover and a blue tarp over that. I did that with a car while I was in Germany for 3 years and it held up very well.
Bob

Charger1973

Thanks for the ideas guys.  :2thumbs:

Sorry Bob I already ruled out the time capsule.   :smilielol:

Ghoste

Time capsules aren't necessarily bad, just don't have them built by the City of Tulsa.

SnoPro440

Here is a link to a guy that sells the carcapsules. http://www.autotoystore.com/carcapsule.html
I will be buying one this year when I put my Charger away for the winter.
I met him last week and purchased some Corbeau seats from him.  He's in Minnesota and is great to deal with. He has some of the best prices too.
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

Charger_Fan

Since you're planning ahead & have some time for a little "assembly" before the snow flies, you could do what I did. :D

http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=3967

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

1carcrazyguy

THE COLONEL

:hah:  I have to tell you all......these pics with the snow are depressing me.  I need to go outside for a few minutes!! :yesnod:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: Charger1973 on July 11, 2007, 11:14:33 PM
Those are some good ideas.  I used to have a garage at my old apartment but they were so small a Charger barely fits and you cant even open the door.  The underground thing would be cool.   

Hey Colonel thanks for the tip, but unfortunately im nowhere near PA im in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa.   :P  If I lived out that way I would tell Jackie to scoot over so I could park next to her Chally.   ;)
Then you would have to squeeze in between the Chally and the Super Coupe. :smilielol: :smilielol:   I rent a garage from a very good friend. I pay $75 a month for both cars. He starts them up all winter for me. Checks the fluids and air in the tires if I'm taking it out. And backs it out of the garage and puts it away, cause I can't see. ( too short)

41husk

Lookin at that snow made me get the 73 out and tool around a bit, got home, went in the house for a bit, started paying bills and decided tooling around in the 68 would be more fun than writing checks :yesnod:  Great day 86 and sunny.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger1973

Good day for it.  I tuned up my daily driver and got a little work done on the Charger too...  Slow progress is better than none.   :icon_smile_big:

What I do is I buy an old refer semi trailer.  You can pick them up pretty cheap if you look for the ones that aren't really roadworthy anymore ($2000 or less).  Then you just cut the jacks and the trucks out from under it and let it down on the ground.  You can do it in a half a day.  The refer trailers are insulated so that helps protect from the extreme heat and cold temperatures.  And if they have swinging doors they're mouse tight.  I still stuff steel wool in the exhaust just in case but I haven't had a problem and I've been keeping cars in my 3 trailers for about 6 years now.  If you can find the longer trailers you can fit 3 chargers in them.  It's tight but they fit.
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

41husk

Do you have any pics of cars stored in this type trailor?  I wonder if the City has any ordinance against this? much cheaper than building an additional garage!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger1973

Hey now theres an idea!   ;D  Im gonna look around and see if I can find something like that. 

Quote from: 41husk on July 13, 2007, 10:31:52 PM
Do you have any pics of cars stored in this type trailor?  I wonder if the City has any ordinance against this? much cheaper than building an additional garage!

Well I don't live in the city so they don't much care.  :icon_smile_big:  Actually if they're painted decent and you build an artifical roof on them they look like a long garage.  I don't have any pics right now but I probably could snap a couple on Sunday with the phone camera and post them.

It gets cheaper too.  If you have good tires on the trucks you can sell the wheels/tires and recoup a little of the cost. 
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

dukeboy_318

Or you can got to the local home depot or lowes and buy one of those portable canvs buildings for around a hundred bucks.  That is what my brother and law did 4 years ago and his is till holding up.  I just bought one to put my parts car under when I get it home. 
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Ok these are a week late but I was unavoidably detained by oats. ::)

You can see 2 cars in this trailer.  One is my 71 that I've been working on and the other is a 65 MG B.  I put my 69 in front of these two during the winter.  The trailer to the right has a 62 Catalina and a 73 charger in it along with a few assorted parts.  The middle trailer has a 26 international truck in it along with a whole bunch of car parts and a few shop and garden tools that belong to my Aunt.  And the trailer on the left is the one with the cars.

Charger1973

Awesome thanks for the pics.   :cheers:  Looks damn near impossible to get out of a Charger once its inside.   :P  It also makes me wonder if you shouldnt have left the wheels on them and just made ramps though?  I would be afraid of them flooding...  plus how do you move them now?   

It's actually not that bad getting out.  I can sneak out pretty easy if I hug one side and I'm 6 ft tall.  I haven't had any trouble with flooding.  They sit on some 4x6 posts that I set on the ground.  Those things are actually sitting in a swamp of sorts.  I was standing in water to take the pics.  That's why I built the ramps to get away from the water a ways.  The thing about leaving the wheels under it I've found that the problem isn't height its angle.  Chargers have a hard time negotiating a drop of more than 6-8 inches like with a ramp.  Moving the trailers isn't that difficult.  If you wanna move them around your place all you need is a decent pickup and a chain.  They're fairly lightweight.  If you wanna move them long distances you just have to call a porta-storage place that have trailers built for winching those type of things on.