News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

carpet underlay

Started by srpntlair1, July 03, 2007, 07:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srpntlair1

getting ready to put interior together. my question is, I got the underlay pad/ sound deadener. does this just lay in or glue down?

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Upholstery guy

I,ve done a few carpets if you glue the jute padding to the carpet it will be hard to shift it around and center the carpet out in some vehicles if you glue the carpet to padding, it's better to glue the jute padding down over the sound deadener or onto the floor pans if you have nothing on the metal.

JimShine

Are you talking about the heavy black paper stuff? I just laid mine down and didn't use glue.

Upholstery guy

Quote from: JimShine on July 08, 2007, 10:07:12 PM
Are you talking about the heavy black paper stuff? I just laid mine down and didn't use glue.

Jute padding looks like fiber material and comes in different thicknesses and is on the back of some molded carpets in some places, but you should cover the whole floor area that the carpet covers to level the carpet, padding the floor pan saved wear and tear on the carpet, the same as if you didn't pad the carpet in your house you would wear holes in the places you touch and walk the most the same goes for the car, sound deadener comes in a few colors looks kinda like tar paper and has a adhesive back and goes down first on metal.

JimShine

I was asking the guy whom posted the question. A little more detail would help.

JrJohnston

Jute padding looks like fiber material and comes in different thicknesses and is on the back of some molded carpets in some places, but you should cover the whole floor area that the carpet covers to level the carpet, padding the floor pan saved wear and tear on the carpet, the same as if you didn't pad the carpet in your house you would wear holes in the places you touch and walk the most the same goes for the car, sound deadener comes in a few colors looks kinda like tar paper and has a adhesive back and goes down first on metal.

All pre molded carpet kit's come with jute padding on the back,I think he is asking about the sound deadner,and yes that is glued to the floor.It should have a peel off backing that will expose the adhesive.
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com
www.myspace.com/scbautotrim

nh_mopar_fan

Here's a stupid question, would you bother with sound deadener under a carpet on a ragtop?

The car will be only driven on top down days. What's to gain by adding the deadener in addition to the jute?