News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Detailing vent cable pulls

Started by MadScientist, July 09, 2007, 12:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

Can anyone recommend a process to cleanly re-letter the recessed  "Vent" letters on the front of the vent cable pulls?

Thanks 

MS

Ghoste

A very steady hand, good light, maybe a modelers vise and a magnifying glass and some white model paint on a fine brush or a white paint pen with a fine tip.

resq302

I just used a white tire crayon since the VENT lettering was recessed.  I just rubbed the crayon over it and then wiped the smooth part of the handle clean of the excess white wax.  Looks as  good as new.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger1973

Quote from: resq302 on July 09, 2007, 11:26:29 AM
I just used a white tire crayon since the VENT lettering was recessed.  I just rubbed the crayon over it and then wiped the smooth part of the handle clean of the excess white wax.  Looks as  good as new.

I would do something similar but I would mask off the top part and then spray them with paint.  Then wipe off the excess with a rag thats barely damp with a mild paint remover...  Something that wont hurt the plastic.  As long as you get it right away while its not dry yet it should come right off. 

MadScientist

The tire wax thing sounds interesting.  Where do you get that?

MS

resq302

Any resto catalog like National Parts Depot, Paddoc, Year One, Gas Tanks.com, etc sells them.  You might even be able to pick them up at your local auto parts store too.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RJS

First Place Products make excellent repro's now...

69fourspd

I masked off the entire face of it except for a rectangle around the vent lettering. I hit it with white spray paint, let it tack up about 20 min, then placed a thin cotton cloth with a little thinner on a flat surface.  I then removed the tape and ran the face over the cloth and it came out perfect. 

RJS

This info for the person that asked:

FIRST PLACE AUTO PRODUCTS
www.fpap.com   330 493-1420

I bought mine thru Jacks Auto Parts before I knew the manufacturer.
  Hope this helps Ron

MadScientist

Thanks for all the info.  I ended up using Testors model paint and a VERY steady hand.  I finally realize however that I am going blind!! :-)  It turned out alright.  I might try the spray method on the next car.

MS