News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

not getting oil to the lifters.

Started by Khyron, June 25, 2007, 08:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

Can't figure this one out. The 440 doesn't seem to be getting any oil to the lifters. The oil pump seems to be doing it's job, and the rocker shafts are set with the holes on the bottem. Any other Ideas?

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Big Lebowski

I'll guess either missing gallery plug or the main bearings are allowing to much oil out.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

firefighter3931

Make sure the oil holes are facing down and towards the exhaust side of the head....that is the correct orientation.

Try rotating the engine slowly (by hand) as you prime it....this usually works to help oil up the top end.  :yesnod:

Have you checked the oil pressure port to see if oil pressure is there ?  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Khyron

I did what you said, I checked the oil pressure with a tester, not teh gauge, The tester reads no pressure  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I pulled the pump, inspcted it. Looked at the rod and pulled the distributer. Removed the gear and inspected the shaft. everything in fine and spinning. Could it be a bad pump? How do these go bad? there are so few working parts in it.

P.S. when you say prime it? you mean spin the engine without starting it? Or did I skip a step?

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Priming the pump (which should be done BEFORE attempting to crank the engine) is done with a long hex shaped rod (available at Summit racing)and a drill

The dist has to be out & the rod engages the oil pump drive.  I believe it is spun in reverse.....this sends all to all the ports & galleys (and to the psi port to check to see if you have psi)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on June 26, 2007, 11:29:41 AM
Priming the pump (which should be done BEFORE attempting to crank the engine) is done with a long hex shaped rod (available at Summit racing)and a drill

The dist has to be out & the rod engages the oil pump drive.  I believe it is spun in reverse.....this sends all to all the ports & galleys (and to the psi port to check to see if you have psi)

Chris is correct....the engine must be primed before startup with the priming rod and drill set on "reverse"

Rotating the engine over slowly will help oil to reach the top end (valvetrain) and oil pressure port on the back of the block. Assuming all the galley plugs are in and the pickup isn't sucking air....you should be able to get oil up top.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

put some assembly lube into the pump gears to help them seal so it will suck up oil
if the oil pump is not a Melling Get a Melling , a friend bought 3 Mopar pumps ,none worked , he installed a Melling & had no problems

Khyron

It was a new mellings... and the problem was the pump was broke  :icon_smile_angry:

got a new one and the car is up to pressure now. That pisses me off. The car is running and there is no unusual noise. hope nothing got hurt.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

BrianShaughnessy

:cheers:

How exactly was the pump broke?      MP's are reboxed Mellings last I recall.  I haven't had a problem with them but for all I know they could be chinese by now  ::)

Hope to see it on the road soon dude.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Khyron

I don't know how, but it just would not pull and push anything. I primed it, spun it up with a hex rod and drill and the damn thing just wouldn't build up pressure. after everything including putting oil and stuff to get the flow. I pulled the pump, swore at it, returned it and got a new one. put it in, primed it with the drill, built pressure right up and works like a charm now. Cars nice and quiet.

I'm hoping to be on the road soon as well. I'm just waiting for my fenders and she's done. I celebrated the oil problem being fixed by some nice smoke filled burnouts ;)

<After cam break in of course>

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

firefighter3931

Good work....nice to hear it's up and running !  :2thumbs:

You need to purge the cam lube > Change the oil & filter ASAP and throw in a bottle of EOS. Napa gold for the filter, Rotella 15/40 for the oil.  :yesnod:

Ron

Chryco Psycho

I am virtually certain Mopar pumps are Not Mellings, I have numerous problems with Mopar pumps but not Melling pumps

Khyron

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 09, 2007, 11:04:54 AM
I have numerous problems with Mopar pumps but not Melling pumps

The new one I got is a Melling  :2thumbs:

Can't wait for my front end body parts are done.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.