News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does it damage your tranny to shift without the clutch?

Started by Wakko, September 19, 2005, 02:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

Since my clutch is screwy (see my other thread) I frequently shift 2-3 and 3-4 without the clutch.  Once I take the load off the tranny, it slips right out of gear and when the engine RPM slows it will slide right into the next gear.  There's no stress since my foot is off the gas and my synchros work fine, but is there something that I'm overlooking that could be bad?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

8WHEELER

I only used my clutch on my KW at a stop and it will hurt nothing on a semi to do that, I also shifted
my friends Toyota 5sp that way and never had any problems so it can be done. But I understand that
a car trans gears are not cut the same as a semi that is setup to be driven that way or double clutch,
So from what I have been told it can cause problems in the long run with the synchros because they
are not designed that way for the long term.

I am sure others can explain it better........

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

If you know the car well enough that you have the rpm matched and it's dropping into gear easily, you aren't likely causing any problems.  That is what the synchros do is to match the rpm of on eunit to the other.  If you are applying a gentle preload so that it will pop in there at the moment the revs match then you would be invoking an accelerated wear similar to driving around and leaning on the shifter.  It would be minor enough that I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan to drive it that way forever.

bull

You won't damage it as long as you shift at the right RPMs. Even then it's not like it's going to explode or something unless you hammer on it all the time. You'll just grind those rough edges off the gears and make them fit better. :icon_smile:

Steve P.

Every 4 speed I ever owned only saw the use of a clutch for 1st and reverse... Now that's not going to win you any races ,,,, but,,, if you drive it like you have a baby in the car you will likely never change a clutch...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Chryco Psycho

it can increase syncro wear by loading the syncro for a longer period of time while matching the gear speed , I alway shift clutchless in my cummins & any highway trucks I drive