News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This seems like a fair deal on a 440/420 hp crate motor

Started by bull, June 17, 2007, 04:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

http://yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=1 (click on the motor pic)

Year One 440 crate motor for $4,500 with 12mo/12k mile warranty? Sounds pretty good considering it can cost that much for a rebuild. I'd hate to see the shipping cost though. :eek2:

69_500

Seems like a really good deal if you have a car, and are looking for a 440 to just drop in it and go. 420hp isn't anything to sneeze at, neither is 470ft/lb of torque. Would be a great motor for cruising.

Chatt69chgr

Just for the heck of it, I looked on the Jasper Engines and Transmissions website.  They list a 440 rebuilt for $4275.  I didn't note their warranty but I think it's 6 years or 75K miles.  Might be wrong on that.  This was for a casting number 2536430 which is a 66-72 block.  Jasper website didn't give many details but did mention hyperutectic pistons, dual exhaust.  I think Jasper bores everything out 60 over so they don't have to reset the machines and they can stock the same parts.  They do mention that it's a forged crank. 
The Year One engine says it's a cast iron crank but internally balanced.  I never heard of this.  I thought all cast cranks were externally balanced.  And Year One doesn't say anything about how far the engine is bored.  So really, the Year One engine just sounds like a rebuilt 440 engine.  Standard rebuild pretty much.  Year One is a large collection center.  They either buy what's on the market of if there is a good business case, they go out and get a manf. to run off a part for them to carry.  I really doubt that Year One is rebuilding these engines themselves.  They must have found a partner to provide these.  I wonder who the partner is?  Could someone have struck a deal with 440 Source to buy up all their old blocks and heads?  They won't ship a block and plan on putting out their own block and head castings within a few months.  And 440 source has those real nice crankshafts for $500 so all those cast cranks and heads they had laying around were probably so much dead weight. 
Who knows?  But it's fun to speculate.

bull

Is it a rebuild? I always assumed "crate motor" meant new but I didn't see all the specs on it. :shruggy:

Rolling_Thunder

well, I believe they are seasoned blocks...        420hp...        not bad for the price.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

4cruzin

Quote from: bull on June 17, 2007, 04:44:29 PM
http://yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=1 (click on the motor pic)

I'd hate to see the shipping cost though. :eek2:

Thats a scary thought especially from Year One.  Probably another 2 grand to ship.   :RantExplode:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

gordo1968charger

i got quoted $600 to england!!which i thought was pretty damn good,the tax man will want another £500 IMPORT DUTY THOUGH.
has anyone bought one?????
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

SeattleCharger

My friend had a big block shipped from seattle to texas for about 200 bucks.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

SeattleCharger

I saw that year one 420hp 440, was wondering where they got the extra horses, as a stock one has 325hp?   The thing that is good about it this crate engine though is that it comes with valve covers, intake, oil pan, lots of things not included in a long block, its painted too.  lots of little things you gotta do with a rebuild at a shop, if I was starting over, I would consider this if it was any good.  but again, where do they get the extra hp over a stock 440?  it doesn't say anything about the build

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Steve P.

Can't give you any answers on the YO motor, but I used to buy and install Jasper motors for customers. It was damn hard to beat their prices and for most motors I could have them in a day or so.  I am going back 14 years or so, but back then they warrenteed their motors for 12 months / 12000 miles if installed by a professional shop. Then I had heard that they started giving that warrentee to anyone buying from Auto Bone and Discount auto. 

When I was installing them I found a few things I didn't care for.

1) They regrind the factory cams. This changes the geometry of the cam/push rod/rocker. Most times it was not a problem, but I did have a few that were just too low an angle. One was a 4 cylinder Ford. Noisiest motor I ever installed. It got a new cam and valve springs.. This leads me to number 2.

2) They re-use the stock valve springs. ALL are supposed to pass muster. NOT ALL DO........  I tested a few sets myself and found some weak.   

Now that I think of it, I also have seen mixed valves in a few Chevy motors... 

The thing is, they build a motor that will MOST of the time be just fine for an everyday back and fourth to work car. If you are looking for performance and real longevity you are going to have to pay the money..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida