News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Registering a classic car in Texas?

Started by Sinister68, July 09, 2007, 07:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinister68

Anyone have any info on registering a classic vehicle in Texas?   :shruggy:

The appraiser mentioned that it might be a little cheaper than registering my Charger as a 'daily driver'.  Thanks!
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

beedees

Go to the Texas DOT website, it'll tell you all you need to know. My Coronet R/T is registered as an antique.....mucho cheaper. :nixon: :nixon: :nixon: :nixon: :nixon:

1971SE440

Antique registration- for cars, trucks or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector's item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising; however, the vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance. Antique plates are issued for five-year periods AND NO SAFETY INSPECTION!!

Classic license - plates are issued to cars that are 25 or more years old. Unlike antiques, which cannot be used for regular transportation or carry advertising, classic license plates require a vehicle to be fully registered like any other vehicle, allowing it be operated on any roadway.

I have my 1971 registered as an Antique. I only drive it on the weekends and never had a problem. I figure I will tell the police if I get stopped I'm on my way to a show or coming back from a show. I don't have to mess with any inspections and the registration is good for 5 years. Also there is a nice insurance break. Also I purchased a 1971 Texas plate on eBay and after they inspect it you can use it on your antique car. The plate has to be the same year as the car.

Charger1973

I wish Iowa had something like that...

Sinister68

Thanks, guys!  Cool! No inspections!  As far as the license plates, that would explain why I've seen several '68 Chargers with those black Texas '68 Hemisfair plates.  Is egag the only place to get those plates?

According to TX DOT I have to register at the county tax collector..who hoo...I get to go into downtown Houston.  ::)  :eek2:

-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

hemi68charger

Quote from: Sinister68 on July 10, 2007, 07:58:06 PM
Thanks, guys!  Cool! No inspections!  As far as the license plates, that would explain why I've seen several '68 Chargers with those black Texas '68 Hemisfair plates.  Is egag the only place to get those plates?

According to TX DOT I have to register at the county tax collector..who hoo...I get to go into downtown Houston.  ::)  :eek2:

You can actually do it now at any branch office. I've got Dana, my '69, registered as a classic and have a '69 plate.. Now, before you get them on ebay, you need to verify they have NEVER been registered before.......... 
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection